• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW! 1675 GMT case set offering from Raffles.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Has anyone tried fitting a gen crystal to the raffles case? How does it fit onto the rehaut?
Since no one has come up with a really good aftermarket alternative yet.
I was offered a very good deal for a gen crystal so i am now contemplating that option.

1016 lover

4/10/22
Has anyone tried fitting a gen crystal to the raffles case? How does it fit onto the rehaut?
I was offered a very good deal for a gen crystal so i am now contemplating that option.
Had you check gleave and co, they do yellow Line seem to be superior quality aftermarkt

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
When I was using BP and JKF cases for submariner builds, it seemed like I was buying acrylic crystals by the pound to find something to properly fit.

For me, the cartel 1675, Milk V1, Milk V2, and Raffles all share the same rehaut size. I've had a couple awkwardly sized crystals, and some retaining rings from a couple vendors have been tighter than a virgin crab's ass, but I'm not aware of any rehaut issues with standard fitting crystals.

I was tempted to buy a genuine crystal recently when I saw a some for about $80, but $80 was just too much for something made of acrylic plastic, for me. What kind of deal were you offered?

I'm 99% sure a genuine will fit unless your retaining ring is not standard, but I haven't tried... can't confirm it 100% will.
I've only had problems with GS crystals, the SK 302.450, and the 116 from WSO, and those were a problem with every 1675 case I've ever had.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Had you check gleave and co, they do yellow Line seem to be superior quality aftermarkt
First time i am hearing from them.
Thanks for the contribution.
There are no pictures of the actuall crystal on the website though.
Have you tried one of them? Can you post detailed pictures?
I am sort of tired of buying crystals by the fist full just to have them not fit/not look right or have the cyclops at the wrong position:)

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
When I was using BP and JKF cases for submariner builds, it seemed like I was buying acrylic crystals by the pound to find something to properly fit.

For me, the cartel 1675, Milk V1, Milk V2, and Raffles all share the same rehaut size. I've had a couple awkwardly sized crystals, and some retaining rings from a couple vendors have been tighter than a virgin crab's ass, but I'm not aware of any rehaut issues with standard fitting crystals.

I was tempted to buy a genuine crystal recently when I saw a some for about $80, but $80 was just too much for something made of acrylic plastic, for me. What kind of deal were you offered?

I'm 99% sure a genuine will fit unless your retaining ring is not standard, but I haven't tried... can't confirm it 100% will.
I've only had problems with GS crystals, the SK 302.450, and the 116 from WSO, and those were a problem with every 1675 case I've ever had.
100% agree on the part where an old acrylic crystal is not worth that much money.
I refused to buy genuine here up to this point for that exact reason and because i like hunting alternatives.
But i have tried like 10 different crystals and none really work.
Facturing in the shipping costs i am probably at the same price a genuine one will cost me…

Contemplating about overpriced „luxury“ items…
Should one apply that kind of thinking, which i did when it comes to crystals so far, then the actual value of vintage steel Rolex watches should not exceed a couple of 1000 dollars at max. They are old, outdated, used for centuries and should then, hold next to zero value at all.
Yet there is that mysterious, patinated allure we all fall for, hence them selling for astronomical prices, which bare any logic or reason.

How many times have you checked chrono24 today?
I have twice and it’s in not even lunchtime yet:)

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
100% agree on the part where an old acrylic crystal is not worth that much money.
I refused to buy genuine here up to this point for that exact reason and because i like hunting alternatives.
Facturing in the shipping costs i am probably at the same price a genuine one will cost me…

Contemplating about overpriced „luxury“ items…
Should one apply that kind of thinking, which i did when it comes to crystals so far, then the actual value of vintage steel Rolex watches should not exceed a couple of 1000 dollars at max. They are old, outdated, used for centuries and should then, hold next to zero value at all.
Yet there is that mysterious, patinated allure we all fall for, hence them selling for astronomical prices, which bare any logic or reason.

How many times have you checked chrono24 today?
I have twice and it’s in not even lunchtime yet:)
😂🤣😭
I try to limit my Chrono24 time, but "never again" usually lasts somewhere between 2 days and 5 days. My search results always lead me back.
That's pretty hilarious stuff, and I didn't realize you were in Germany either. That puts our shipping, taxes, and vendor options in different categories.

I did find some great looking crystals from a UK vendor on eBay. I can't comment yet because they are still in transit. But I will let you know (first!) if they actually work out!
I definitely understand the pain of just forking out the money for simplicity and avoiding frustration.

Reactions: deadaglev

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy
As I have already written in previous posts, the original crystal for the difference on a good aftermarket is a waste of money. I spent 15 Euros for mine and it fits perfectly, is there an imperceptible difference with the original? Maybe using the lens with a lot of magnification! No one will come to look at your wrist with a microscope
😂🤣😭
I try to limit my Chrono24 time, but "never again" usually lasts somewhere between 2 days and 5 days. My search results always lead me back.
That's pretty hilarious stuff, and I didn't realize you were in Germany either. That puts our shipping, taxes, and vendor options in different categories.

I did find some great looking crystals from a UK vendor on eBay. I can't comment yet because they are still in transit. But I will let you know (first!) if they actually work out!
I definitely understand the pain of just forking out the money for simplicity and avoiding frustration.

As I have already written in previous posts, the original crystal for the difference on a good aftermarket is a waste of money. I spent 15 Euros for mine and it fits perfectly, is there an imperceptible difference with the original? Maybe using the lens with a lot of magnification! No one will come to look at your wrist with a microscope!! :LOL:
My personal advice is: change the bezel assembly and put a GEN insert, good ends that adapt properly to the case, this will change your watch!!!

Reactions: WatchN3RD

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
I have a different opinion on this.
People will fill entire threads about the smallest difference on dial printing. THAT you can only see under magnification.
The aftermarket crystals i tried so far are miles off the gen.
Different bevel, different magnification, distortion and polish on the sides of the cyclops.
Things that actually can be seen.

It is entirely irrelevant for me if other people can see any detail on my watches.
I wear my watches for me and my enjoyment only. So it matters what i think, not others. And i have not found a satisfying aftermarket crystal yet.

Last edited:

automatico

Getting To Know The Place
5/10/11

Me too!

In my experience, nos genuine crystals may or may not crack when first pressed over the case neck or when the bezel is pressed over the crystal. It depends on how old the crystal is, how it has been stored, and how close the aftmkt case parts are to oem specs. It takes very little to break one.
Sometimes a crystal will shatter between the case neck and inner diameter of the bezel and go undetected so I always check this area with a 10X loupe under bright light after fitting a crystal and again a few days later.

I only use genuine crystals on genuine watches now and I used to pay $15.50 (tropic) and $17.50 (cyclops) for genuine acrylic crystals way back when. Not now though, RWC has basically cut all independent 'spare parts' accounts so I use the 'trial and error' method of fitting crystals on replicas using aftmkt crystals.
I have had good luck with GS brand crystals on 'in spec' cases for 1016 and 5512/13 projects.

Below is a list showing the different sizes of GS crystals for vintage submariners etc.
Be warned 'Bob' at this outfit has very little patience and you need to be brief and know exactly what you need...and do not mention the word 'replica'.

https: //www. ofrei.com/page419.html (close the gaps)

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany

Me too!

In my experience, nos genuine crystals may or may not crack when first pressed over the case neck or when the bezel is pressed over the crystal. It depends on how old the crystal is, how it has been stored, and how close the aftmkt case parts are to oem specs. It takes very little to break one.
Sometimes a crystal will shatter between the case neck and inner diameter of the bezel and go undetected so I always check this area with a 10X loupe under bright light after fitting a crystal and again a few days later.

I only use genuine crystals on genuine watches now and I used to pay $15.50 (tropic) and $17.50 (cyclops) for genuine acrylic crystals way back when. Not now though, RWC has basically cut all independent 'spare parts' accounts so I use the 'trial and error' method of fitting crystals on replicas using aftmkt crystals.
I have had good luck with GS brand crystals on 'in spec' cases for 1016 and 5512/13 projects.

Below is a list showing the different sizes of GS crystals for vintage submariners etc.
Be warned 'Bob' at this outfit has very little patience and you need to be brief and know exactly what you need...and do not mention the word 'replica'.

https: //www. ofrei.com/page419.html (close the gaps)
That is a very good point to make. Thank you. That would have been the icing on the cake:) to have it crack while fitting. Hence my initial question if someone tried.
I will stay away from a gen then.
Ofrei is asking 50 or 60 dollars for shipping to Germany, so that’s out of the question for me.

Reactions: aphmars13

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy
I have a different opinion on this.
People will fill entire threads about the smallest difference on dial printing. THAT you can only see under magnification.
The aftermarket crystals i tried so far are miles off the gen.
Different bevel, different magnification, distortion and polish on the sides of the cyclops.
Things that actually can be seen.

It is entirely irrelevant for me if other people can see any detail on my watches.
I wear my watches for me and my enjoyment only. So it matters what i think, not others. And i have not found a satisfying aftermarket crystal yet.
Everyone is free to express their opinion and buy what they want, but if you tell me that aftermarket crystals or at least mine have the wrong magnification here you are wrong and in the previous posts we had already talked about this because you had also tried the crystal I mounted finding a minimal difference on the imperceptible chamfer. The solution is behind the door buy the original crystal and solve the problem or maybe not because there is the probable risk that it will break during the forcing with the Raffles case.
To give you an example I to avoid problems with the bezel inserts since I am fixated on the minimum details I did that buy it GEN ;)