• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW! 1675 GMT case set offering from Raffles.

relax

Getting To Know The Place
3/6/23
Asia
All parts have finally arrived to complete the raffles case build for my super budget amateur bluberry. Since all bluberry gmts are fake anyways, I thought why not build a real fake one!😂. Regardless, it has always been a great looking watch to me personally, especially the UAE ones.
Case is untouched from raffles because I don't know how to and lack of the tools & knowledge to shape the crown guards so I don't wanna risk fookin things up. Perhaps one fine day I'll give it a go. Here are the parts I used:
Insert from Tiger (not the best but it's the most affordable).
A2836 from my old 1675 Pepsi from BP.
Hour, minute and second hands are also from the same BP watch.
All red GMT hand from Rafflestime.
Jubilee bracelet from another broken DJ rep.
Case, arabic DWO, dial, jubilee endlinks from Rafflesdial.
Case was lightly aged by gently shaking it in a box of coins with the jubilee bracelet. Sanded off the cyclops because I never liked 'em.
Dial and hands were given the fauxtina treatment with my fav coffee.

Now I'm gonna wear this daily because I'm luvin' it!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
All parts have finally arrived to complete the raffles case build for my super budget amateur bluberry. Since all bluberry gmts are fake anyways, I thought why not build a real fake one!😂. Regardless, it has always been a great looking watch to me personally, especially the UAE ones.
Case is untouched from raffles because I don't know how to and lack of the tools & knowledge to shape the crown guards so I don't wanna risk fookin things up. Perhaps one fine day I'll give it a go. Here are the parts I used:
Insert from Tiger (not the best but it's the most affordable).
A2836 from my old 1675 Pepsi from BP.
Hour, minute and second hands are also from the same BP watch.
All red GMT hand from Rafflestime.
Jubilee bracelet from another broken DJ rep.
Case, arabic DWO, dial, jubilee endlinks from Rafflesdial.
Case was lightly aged by gently shaking it in a box of coins with the jubilee bracelet. Sanded off the cyclops because I never liked 'em.
Dial and hands were given the fauxtina treatment with my fav coffee.

Now I'm gonna wear this daily because I'm luvin' it!
Nicely done.

Its funny how we set limits on ourselves. You didn't want to file down some metal in fear of messing it up but you managed to transplant a very delicate mechanical moment. swap dials and hands and dwo onto it successfully. but hand files are where you draw the line. lol

I am just buggin ya. You did a fine job on the build and you absolutely have the skills and abilities to shape the crown guards. I have no doubt. . enjoy it !!

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
It's done. After collecting all the parts and do a lot of researching I finished the Rolex 1675 PCG gilt dial project. Doring the build I took some pictures that I like to share. I'am very proud to present!

Here the collected parts:
  • Raffel 1675 case
  • Homemade gilt dial with chapter ring (Type 3)
  • Hangzhou 6460 Automatic GMT movement
  • helenarou hands (13mm hour)
  • Sternkreuz 25-116 crysal

Starting the metal work for the PCG

Starting with the dial. Here the toner transfer. This is not the final dial. This failed and I hat to create a new one.
As you can see: I have to add a date window. That was a very time consuming part of the build.

Here after the chemical process and a lot of lacquering stuff

Some luming for hands and dial:

The Hangzhou 6460 Automatic GMT Movement

And finaly I'am proud to present!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
It's done. After collecting all the parts and do a lot of researching I finished the Rolex 1675 PCG gilt dial project. Doring the build I took some pictures that I like to share. I'am very proud to present!

• Raffel 1675 case

Starting with the dial. Here the toner transfer. This is not the final dial. This failed and I hat to create a new one.
As you can see: I have to add a date window. That was a very time consuming part of the build.

Congrats brother it turned out beautiful!! Nice work on the case word and dial. well done!!

Reactions: matzemedia

relax

3/6/23
Asia
Nicely done.

Its funny how we set limits on ourselves. You didn't want to file down some metal in fear of messing it up but you managed to transplant a very delicate mechanical moment. swap dials and hands and dwo onto it successfully. but hand files are where you draw the line. lol

I am just buggin ya. You did a fine job on the build and you absolutely have the skills and abilities to shape the crown guards. I have no doubt. . enjoy it !!
Thank you sir! Probably it's because I've put together watches before multiple times but I've got zero experience in shaping metal haha 😂
I'll just have to pretend that it's a factory seconds case with early rounded crown guards from the early 60's lol.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18

• Raffel 1675 case

You really do some impressive work. I'd love more pictures, information, thoughts on how you shaped the crown guards. That type of crown guard is very difficult to accomplish, so feel free to share, if you don't mind.

Reactions: matzemedia

altayd9

20/7/21
Does anyone have the inner diameter of the case? I'm curious if it would be possible to stick a VR3186 in there, internet says 28.5mm for a 3186.

EnryDJ36

In search of perfection
5/11/23
Italy
Does anyone have the inner diameter of the case? I'm curious if it would be possible to stick a VR3186 in there, internet says 28.5mm for a 3186.
In my opinion it doesn't fit, the case is for the ETA 2836-2 and Asian derivatives, the dial diameter is 27.3 mm and the internal diameter will be a maximum of 27.5.
I didn't measure before assembly but I'm almost sure of these measurements...

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
You really do some impressive work. I'd love more pictures, information, thoughts on how you shaped the crown guards. That type of crown guard is very difficult to accomplish, so feel free to share, if you don't mind.
Thanks you!
I've been looking at a lot of pictures of the 1675 with PCG over the last few days. Here on this page you can take a close look at the two different PCG designs. There is the wide one (Broud) and the more angular one (El Cornino). Most of the watches from that time have been refurbished and so each watch looks slightly different. I had a hard time finding a perfect model based on online pictures.

My résumé after 2 days of wear was unsatisfactory. The crown guard is far too big. So yesterday I decided to pick up the file again. My reference is the El Cornino PCG. As far as I have researched, it was sold in conjunction with my dial (Chapter ring - Type 3). As requested, here are a few photos.

Before:

After one hour:

Here you can see that I have unfortunately become a little crooked. However, you don't notice it when it's assembled.

And by the way: I decided to switch to a black insert and black bracelet:

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
Thanks you!
I've been looking at a lot of pictures of the 1675 with PCG over the last few days. Here on this page you can take a close look at the two different PCG designs. There is the wide one (Broud) and the more angular one (El Cornino). Most of the watches from that time have been refurbished and so each watch looks slightly different. I had a hard time finding a perfect model based on online pictures.

My résumé after 2 days of wear was unsatisfactory. The crown guard is far too big. So yesterday I decided to pick up the file again. My reference is the El Cornino PCG. As far as I have researched, it was sold in conjunction with my dial (Chapter ring - Type 3). As requested, here are a few photos.

Before:

After one hour:

Here you can see that I have unfortunately become a little crooked. However, you don't notice it when it's assembled.

And by the way: I decided to switch to a black insert and black bracelet:

Great job. Did you use anything to assist with keeping your edges flat, or was it all done by hand?

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
Great job. Did you use anything to assist with keeping your edges flat, or was it all done by hand?
I just use a file by hand for the base shape and then a flat wooden stick with sandpaper. Started at 280 up to 10.000 grade . But you have to know that I one learned mechanics and had to file a lot of metal ;-)

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
Just Asking if anyone is interested in a new project, I have a Case and a Dial for a GMT MASTER II
The case is 39mm Sapphire Crystal etched crown @ 6 the bracelet is 316 Steel with SEL
It's suitable for Eta 2836. If anyone is interested please PM me and I can post a sale for approval ;)

Reactions: Mr Heuristics

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
lurking in my closet I've found a 1680 case for plexiglass, signed on both lugs, it have lugs thru holes, but does not have
Crown tube, bezel ring, crown nor crystal.
If anyone wanted for a fair price, PM me !

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
Also found This hands and dial . The hands they don't look aged because I did it on purpose, they are really old like 20 years sitting around here, the dial has the feet for eta 2836 or 2824 but it's 26.40mm
I started searching since I saw that some are interested in these projects, and I remembered that I have some parts.
If interested PM me

Reactions: Mr Heuristics

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
The work was worth it, you have a nice looking case buddy awesome crown guards, wear it proudly ;)

Reactions: deadaglev

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
@deadaglev the holes on lugs, did you drill it bigger for fat spring bars or that is the size that they came ?

altayd9

20/7/21

First attempt at shaving crown guards, I left some gouges while trying to chamfer by hand so I will be fixing those. Just want to wait for the new crown to arrive before I do more work I wanna see where it sits so I know if I have to change the position where the rounding starts like a MK1 case, will probably move the crown further in.

I notice the crown guards bulge downwards on the bottom, should that be flattened to match a gen case?

Reactions: Hec and relax

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
Alright. So after i sadly went to far on one chamfer, i reordered the case and did it again.
This is the result:
Can you share more details on your process? I love the shape there. Looks very precise, yet still bulky like a primo mid-60's specimen. What kind of files or other tools did you use?
Those years are my favorite and I think you totally nailed it. Seen some amazing ones in that '63/'64 through '67 and maybe later, and this fits in there like a glove.

Reactions: Hec