• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most hated watch (design) features

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Ive written about it in my other thread, but do please do some research on Invicta’s history and their production, before they were acquired by the current conglomerate.

Everyone loves to hate on Invicta, without actually knowing anything about them. And it makes me sad.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ive written about it in my other thread, but do please do some research on Invicta’s history and their production, before they were acquired by the current conglomerate.

Everyone loves to hate on Invicta, without actually knowing anything about them. And it makes me sad.
Yes, it is unfortunate comparing the pre-bankrupcy vintage company to the current production conglomerate. What I have difficuly stomaching and what brings the overall opinion of the brand down are the over the top and mostly tacky designs in a few of their lines like the subaqua noma. I understand there is a subset of the population which is drawn to these designs, but some are so over the top it's diffucult to take them as anything close to an affordable luxury brand seriously as this transfers across the entire line to an extent, even to their more conservative sub and daytona homages which are not bad for the price.

Last edited:

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Don't get me wrong, I despise what they produce nowadays, but it was once a very reputable and innovative company, with great, tasteful watches in their catalog.
That's mostly why I remind people, that Invicta wasn't always a shit-stain on the shirt of horology.
But I digress, I can't wind back time, so it is what it is.

Yanoptic67

Supporter
Certified
1/4/23
France
Reactions: serumdiesel

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I think this one is towards the top of the list of useless complications. It goes right up there with those novelty roulette wheel watches....
You effectively have 3 different watches with this "useless" complication.
What does the rulete wheel give you?

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Exactly. I would say that is a useless complication, created just “because we can”.
Which is EXACTLY why complications exists at all.

Why useless ? So Tourbillons, WorldTimer, Moonphases....all useless ?

And i love Roulette Wheels, i LOVE my Franck Muller Vegas !

IMG-20230418-103253.jpg

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Moreover, also the 10 minutes Counter fo the Rollie Yacht Master II is useless ? But it's tremendously cool !

Ok, maybe the look of the YM II is debatable .....:D but the Countdown Compplication is impressive

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
@Horace_Derwent That is not exactly why all complications exist.
Almost all of them were created to serve a useful purpose.
Roulette wheel does not serve any useful purpose. You may love it, you may not, but it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

10-minute counter? You mean the regatta countdown? Useful and created for a purpose, that's actually used to this day the world over. 😉
So I'd say it's useful, wouldn't you?

Same goes for Worldtimer, GMT, moon phase, retrogrades, rattrapantes, etc.
Tourby was useful a long time ago, isn't anymore.

Last edited:

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Well, if we begin talking about useless complications... What about the day and night indicator?
I never understood that one. I was always under the impression, that its birth was rooted in cheap fakes, to simulate the moonphase, but I actually have no clue how or why it came to be. 🤔

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I never understood that one. I was always under the impression, that its birth was rooted in cheap fakes, to simulate the moonphase, but I actually have no clue how or why it came to be. 🤔
Maybe if you're an addicted party animal with no schedule whatsoever, you wake up at some point and by looking at your watch you'll know the time of day/night? Maybe better than a Meister Singer one-hander...

Reactions: Procurator