• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most hated watch (design) features

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Aside from that, the watch is the only jewellery that you are allowed to wear as a man.
Agree completely. My wife once asked why I needed so many watches. I walked over to her jewelry box and asked her why she needed so many bracelets and earrings. And heck, they don't even tell time. She got the point. Watches are one of the few ways men can accessorize.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Jesus H. guys, it's a frigging cyclops. He doesn't like it, he does, most simply don't mind. I would have thought the "no lugs" affirmation would have spawn much more controversy, because watches with no lugs, well, look like shit :LOL:
Exactly. To each his own. Some folks just get so pissy when you disagree with them.

Blackieray

Flâneur
Supporter
Certified
11/12/21
Near the Atlantic
The Christopher Ward second hand has kept me from buying one. Although I like their watches overall. I'm a fan of the Milgauss second hand and I love the Zenith star. What I abhor is nato straps. It may be because in high school kids had them and they were always sweat stained and dirty. I appreciate I'll get a lot of flack for this as I know others love them. Give me a leather or metal band any day.

Last edited:

crashworkz

Gentleman
Certified
14/11/22
EU
The Christopher Ward second hand has kept me from buying one. Although I like their watches overall. I'm a fan of the Milgauss second hand and the I love the Zenith star. What I abhor is nato straps. It may be because in high school kids had them and they were always sweat stained and dirty. I appreciate I'll get a lot of flack for this as I know others love them. Give me a leather or metal band any day.
I have a gen Japanese Seiko 5 Sport which I’ve used as a beater for aaages. Love it with my NATO straps.

Wouldn’t strap my rollies, omegas or pams though. There I completely agree that metal and leather are the ways to go.

Reactions: Blackieray

Frank_NRW

Supporter
Certified
24/2/22
France / Germany
Jesus H. guys, it's a frigging cyclops. He doesn't like it, he does, most simply don't mind. I would have thought the "no lugs" affirmation would have spawn much more controversy, because watches with no lugs, well, look like shit :LOL:

Quod Erat Demonstrandum…although Omega is Greek I think. 🥸

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
zFVwNX.jpg

How YOU doin!

zFg4wp.jpg

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Quod Erat Demonstrandum…although Omega is Greek I think. 🥸

QED what exactly? The "no lugs" thing? Is that watch wearable at all without a scuba suit?

Frank_NRW

Supporter
Certified
24/2/22
France / Germany
QED what exactly? The "no lugs" thing? Is that watch wearable at all without a scuba suit?
Actually it’s not too uncomfortable. But yes you are right, it looks even better with a scuba suit. I can’t explain it but some big watches are more comfortable than others. The massive crown on a IWC big pilot bothers me more than the Ploprof large case. Go figure.
And QED…yes, heavy and bulky but no lugs. The same watch with lugs could cause injuries.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Actually it’s not too uncomfortable. But yes you are right, it looks even better with a scuba suit. I can’t explain it but some big watches are more comfortable than others. The massive crown on a IWC big pilot bothers me more than the Ploprof large case. Go figure.
And QED…yes, heavy and bulky but no lugs. The same watch with lugs could cause injuries.
Got you. Yes, definitely, lugs would make this almost unwearable. That's for those who dig the design and bulky watches, I'm rather on the other side of the spectrum. Limits for me are 40-42mm diameter and 13-14mm thickness, and that's provided that all other conditions balance the whole (lug-to-lug, bezel thickness, overall design balance etc.). It may differ a lot, sometimes I can't have 38mm watches, sometimes 42mm work just fine.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Someone mentioned the date window at 4:30. I agree to that. In general, the date window topic is a quite important one in relation to the dial's design overall balance. Intrinsically, a watch dial has a strong symmetrical dynamic, everything stems from the center and the (mostly) circular design will require careful efforts in "placing" all elements. If you decide to put an asymmetrical component to it (which is absolutely fine) then, in my view, the overall design will need to be clean and a clear statement, not cluttered. A seconds subdial at 7:30 for instance is fine for me as long as there are no other elements driving your eyes everywhere else. A tiny datewindow at 4:30 doesn't fulfil this design requirement, imo. It just distracts attention and its dimension hasn't enough "gravitational force" to be a meaningful element of the design, it will mostly ruin the design's balance.
A classic datewindow at 3 will work for me if it's either subtle (datewheel color same as dial) or counterbalanced on the other side (dateweheel color same - white - as index at 9 o' clock). What really disturbs me are datewheel colors that don't match the dial or index color.
There may very well be exceptions to this and nuances that will affect overall design, but I'm just thinking out loud and in general terms.

Reactions: Blackieray

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Just occurred to me: dials with half Arabic and half Roman numerals (so-called California dials) . Why? What's the purpose?
While I understand and like the history and significance as precursor of the submariner design, this duality on the dial irritates me in modern watches. I'd kill to own the very first diver made by rolex in the 40s for Panerai (not branded by either) and I appreciate the vintage pieces, but today I think this design choice has no meaning.

Reactions: pompompurin

guarda

You're Saying I Can Smell?
Certified
26/10/16
NYC
My Ball Engineer TMT Hydrocarbon has a thermometer on the dial but 1: It shows in centigrade and 2: It shows your wrist temp!

• Haha
Reactions: pompompurin

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
My Ball Engineer TMT Hydrocarbon has a thermometer on the dial but 1: It shows in centigrade and 2: It shows your wrist temp!
I can see how that's annoying... And useless.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
After being spoiled by the Smartlink system on Santos bracelets, everything else is just shit. Worst system for me so far are the bracelets on Omega Seamasters. It’s some bullshit system that includes an extremely tiny screw in addition to a push pin that you have to deal with.