• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most hated watch (design) features

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Very interesting topic. And very interesting read on some of the opinions.
Shame it turned sour after page 3…

The 3 dates in watches actually have a purpose. Or rather had a purpose. Its to do with the implementation in pilots watches, when the date was lumed. If u had just 1 date visible, after midnight, you're fucked, cause you cant read it. When you have the so called running date design, it has time to lume and you can read which ones the middle one. Also helps when flying 12km up round the Earth, so you don't have to keep that information in your head constantly when calculating.

I don't agree with a lot of things posted here, but that's how life is lol

What I do not like in watch design:
- overly busy dials with no actual purpose, other than to appear more interesting or expensive
- uncontrasting hands (or any complication) - kinda defeats the whole "telling time" purpose, doesn't it
- hidden date windows in strange places (black on white DW within black on white subdial at 6 o clock is probably the worst)
- shitty faux rivet bracelets (yeah looking at you Tudor)
- in general faux design features, just for appearances - I mean if u want it to be there, do it fuckin properly and don't add to this 1 inch deep society
- agree with the top AR coating, but there are brands that do it very durably, so it doesn't really scratch
- right angle domed crystals - used to have a modern Omega Speedy Moonphase - technically a brilliant, brilliant watch. Beautiful too, but man, the top AR coating was there and of course the crystal was a right angle "lid" on the dial. Not only it was very prone to cracking when you waved your hand wrong, but in normal daily use it fucked up the AR on the 90° crystal edges, just from a shirt cuff.
- display casebacks with generic movements - like wtf is the point? That you can add saphire on the back too? Congratz, now jump off a bridge.
- Omega milking the Speedy - I was over it 10 years ago, and there's no end to the "limited editions" in sight. Dont even get me started on the Bond editions.
- tourbillons - like I get it, its a cool invention, but I despise brands making it something ultra premium and charging 10x for it. Its just fucking pathetic.
- picking off that - poorly executed holes in dials - Looking at you Zenith
- Hublot - do I need to be more specific, or the fact that its a shit lazy (not to mention tasteless) design, marketed towards people with more money than sense AND taste and given a premium status by people who know jack shit about horology enough?
- power reserve indicators on the back of the movement - do you seriously expect me to take off the watch each time I want to know if its wound enough? Or should I just wait till it stops and then adjust the time as well? Or do you expect me to remember when was the last time I wound it? Screw you and your shitty design ideas lol
- repetitive designs, clearly ripping off a famous working one (looking at you GP and Piaget), that try so hard to be their own thing. Yeah yeah, I know. good artists copy, great artists steal, yada yada...
- unlumed moonphase discs - WHY? just WHY would you slap a silver disc there and not have it fulfill the purpose of a Moon, when you actually look at the Moon - AT NIGHT!
- snowflake hands - I don't know why, don't ask me, but I hate them with passion

there's a lot more, but this rant is enough for now lol

guarda

You're Saying I Can Smell?
Certified
26/10/16
NYC
Sapphire cabochon crowns (yeah you, Cartier). Seen more chipped ones than not.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Bizarre watch designs are the same as bizarre haute couture. Sure, you can make it and show it off but no one is actually going to wear it as a functional timepiece or item of clothing. But watchmakers and clothes designers (and many others) make them, well, because they can. And to a large degree are a simply masturbatory exercise - they do it because it pleases them.

Frank_NRW

Supporter
Certified
24/2/22
France / Germany
Very interesting topic. And very interesting read on some of the opinions.
Shame it turned sour after page 3…

The 3 dates in watches actually have a purpose. Or rather had a purpose. Its to do with the implementation in pilots watches, when the date was lumed. If u had just 1 date visible, after midnight, you're fucked, cause you cant read it. When you have the so called running date design, it has time to lume and you can read which ones the middle one. Also helps when flying 12km up round the Earth, so you don't have to keep that information in your head constantly when calculating.

I don't agree with a lot of things posted here, but that's how life is lol

What I do not like in watch design:
- overly busy dials with no actual purpose, other than to appear more interesting or expensive
- uncontrasting hands (or any complication) - kinda defeats the whole "telling time" purpose, doesn't it
- hidden date windows in strange places (black on white DW within black on white subdial at 6 o clock is probably the worst)
- shitty faux rivet bracelets (yeah looking at you Tudor)
- in general faux design features, just for appearances - I mean if u want it to be there, do it fuckin properly and don't add to this 1 inch deep society
- agree with the top AR coating, but there are brands that do it very durably, so it doesn't really scratch
- right angle domed crystals - used to have a modern Omega Speedy Moonphase - technically a brilliant, brilliant watch. Beautiful too, but man, the top AR coating was there and of course the crystal was a right angle "lid" on the dial. Not only it was very prone to cracking when you waved your hand wrong, but in normal daily use it fucked up the AR on the 90° crystal edges, just from a shirt cuff.
- display casebacks with generic movements - like wtf is the point? That you can add saphire on the back too? Congratz, now jump off a bridge.
- Omega milking the Speedy - I was over it 10 years ago, and there's no end to the "limited editions" in sight. Dont even get me started on the Bond editions.
- tourbillons - like I get it, its a cool invention, but I despise brands making it something ultra premium and charging 10x for it. Its just fucking pathetic.
- picking off that - poorly executed holes in dials - Looking at you Zenith
- Hublot - do I need to be more specific, or the fact that its a shit lazy (not to mention tasteless) design, marketed towards people with more money than sense AND taste and given a premium status by people who know jack shit about horology enough?
- power reserve indicators on the back of the movement - do you seriously expect me to take off the watch each time I want to know if its wound enough? Or should I just wait till it stops and then adjust the time as well? Or do you expect me to remember when was the last time I wound it? Screw you and your shitty design ideas lol
- repetitive designs, clearly ripping off a famous working one (looking at you GP and Piaget), that try so hard to be their own thing. Yeah yeah, I know. good artists copy, great artists steal, yada yada...
- unlumed moonphase discs - WHY? just WHY would you slap a silver disc there and not have it fulfill the purpose of a Moon, when you actually look at the Moon - AT NIGHT!
- snowflake hands - I don't know why, don't ask me, but I hate them with passion

there's a lot more, but this rant is enough for now lol
No no ..don’t stop we want to have the full rant…

• Haha
Reactions: P..DR..D

P..DR..D

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I agree with @Frank_NRW

@Procurator - let loose bro, you're among friends, you'll feel better

martin lawrence GIF

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Im sure some of you will have some stuff to say about what I wrote, Ill let it come naturally 😂😂

• Haha

P..DR..D

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I agree and disagree with some of everything written so far tbh, for me it either floats my boat or it doesn't & sometimes theres no rhyme nor reason to my likes or dislikes.

All of us are different & that's what makes the forum fun imho. Imagine this place without disagreements, nah.

I like the cluttered dial of a Navi for example, and don't know how to use the functionality, but I have read about its importance to pilots etc, so to me, it's just visually appealing, to others, an eye sore, to some a work of engineering brilliance.

Bezels are the killer for me, dunno why.
I want perfect alignment at 12 & would happily super glue them to the case to ensure no movement. I dont care about GEN click sounds. Perfect alignment of the triangle and pip please :ROFLMAO:

That's my rant over 🤷‍♂️

aus_wolfie

Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Indifferent not. Hate or hate not. There is no indifferent ~ Yoda talking of g-shocks ....the digital ones

G-shocks....the most polarising watches ever, you either hate or love

Last edited:

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Bezels are the killer for me, dunno why.
I want perfect alignment at 12 & would happily super glue them to the case to ensure no movement. I dont care about GEN click sounds. Perfect alignment of the triangle and pip please :ROFLMAO:
You and me both! I have come >this close< to a drop of superglue underneath a bezel but I juuuuust can't bring myself to do it! I've tried the dental floss trick once but only helps so much and starts to come undone etc... Pip alignment is a curse when you are addicted to divers.

aus_wolfie

Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
This makes me mad. I don't know why. A 55mm turd 🙄

Why does this even exist? The road rage meat head who would wear this can't even read an analog clock.
That road rage meat head must be running late for uh 1 or 2 or 3 or....more appointments...he's clocking them all...busy guy

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
I like watches that are simply made. That's why I haven't been able to make friends with chronos yet. I also don't like multicolored dials. Apart from my polar, I only have 3-hand watches.

Reactions: Feefo

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You and me both! I have come >this close< to a drop of superglue underneath a bezel but I juuuuust can't bring myself to do it! I've tried the dental floss trick once but only helps so much and starts to come undone etc... Pip alignment is a curse when you are addicted to divers.
Well, be careful what you wish for.

I recently took delivery of an ARF 16610 bought over the road. The owner (who sold it here) prior to my seller has used JB Weld to fix the bezel permanently in place. Which I really wouldn't care about... except they failed to epoxy it on straight.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Invicta. They have someone most god awful designs. On vacation last week the guy next to me had one on while on a safari ride. I couldn't resist I had to sneak a picture of it without being too obvious to share here on the form. Believe me when I tell you it was absolutely hideous in person.... Probably 20 mm high and 50 mm wide

PXL_20230401_214607390cc68c8fbfdaa1427.jpg

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
Invicta. They have someone most god awful designs. On vacation last week the guy next to me had one on while on a safari ride. I couldn't resist I had to sneak a picture of it without being too obvious to share here on the form. Believe me when I tell you it was absolutely hideous in person.... Probably 20 mm high and 50 mm wide

PXL_20230401_214607390cc68c8fbfdaa1427.jpg
Simple rule Bigger =Better!