• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBK Bangkok Review

WarBoyZ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/15
Believe it or not, I was born, lived in Bangkok for 29 years. Of course, I saw all the shops and watches everytime I'm heading to MBK, hang out with all friends, movies, dinner and ETC....BUT I don't know about them at all. :hypnotized:

As a Thai, I'm not really think about it until last year. I got my first cheapie Panerai rep PAM376. The rep serve me well than I tought and that really surprise me, made me change all the attitude towards Reps. Now, I own at least 6 of'em from all around the website...Still, I NEVER REALLY CHECK MBK yet hahahaha even I lived next to Jatujak/Mochit MRT sky rail LOL. The reason might be because I'm not really sure which reps stand/shops can be really trusted ,even I'm Thai, I still not really sure that they gonna loot me or what hahaha.

But now, I DO really got a great guide and review. Too bad, I just moved to UK to study MA. Maybe I gotta bookmark this post and wait till I going back home. :thumbup:

lolo1972sg

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Believe it or not, I was born, lived in Bangkok for 29 years. Of course, I saw all the shops and watches everytime I'm heading to MBK, hang out with all friends, movies, dinner and ETC....BUT I don't know about them at all. :hypnotized:

As a Thai, I'm not really think about it until last year. I got my first cheapie Panerai rep PAM376. The rep serve me well than I tought and that really surprise me, made me change all the attitude towards Reps. Now, I own at least 6 of'em from all around the website...Still, I NEVER REALLY CHECK MBK yet hahahaha even I lived next to Jatujak/Mochit MRT sky rail LOL. The reason might be because I'm not really sure which reps stand/shops can be really trusted ,even I'm Thai, I still not really sure that they gonna loot me or what hahaha.

But now, I DO really got a great guide and review. Too bad, I just moved to UK to study MA. Maybe I gotta bookmark this post and wait till I going back home. :thumbup:

There is also a thai website that sells all the reps - one that is similar to the TD site here - but used/trusted mainly by local thais. :)

WarBoyZ

15/6/15
There is also a thai website that sells all the reps - one that is similar to the TD site here - but used/trusted mainly by local thais. :)
I'm a customer of one of the largest site in Thailand. I'm not sure that you know PIM*** or not. But Im sure the site you told me must be it. [emoji39]

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
I'm a customer of one of the largest site in Thailand. I'm not sure that you know PIMWIN or not. But Im sure the site you told me must be it. [emoji39]

[emoji1] that is right. But I have never bought anything from that site. But quite a number of my thai friends buy from there as well. More Thai friendly in a sense, I suppose.

WarBoyZ

15/6/15
[emoji1] that is right. But I have never bought anything from that site. But quite a number of my thai friends buy from there as well. More Thai friendly in a sense, I suppose.
it is. The staff are very helpful in prices and information. For us, if we do subscription their feed via Line apps. I got most of my reps from them.

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
This is a very well put together piece. Lots of valuable information for anyone venturing that way......

Credit to the OP........

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
randon q, what is that finger on the butt pick ?

djbenson

MULTI ACCOUNT
3/4/15
I remember the MBK, you have the 'normal' shops, and then you have the other part of the store with the (i guess red and yellow) bright colored floor and the narrow hallways.. Bought a suitcase filled with armani, boss, ralph lauren for like 1500 Baht lol :p and I must say the Quality is SUPERB!

It has been 8 years ago.. but I can't remember a lot of watches lying around there at that time..

mauricio612

Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
I have been to Bangkok twice and both times I went to Patpong market and MBK. I never managed to see any high end reps because most selles would not show me anything but their cheap reps. Most of them can be found cheaper at Patpong night market.

Maybe I did not bargain enough or I look like a tourist that is easy to hustle but I did try and I never saw anything the quality of what TD's sell, not even close.

They show crappy reps in the window (Armani and Dolce Gabbana reps, come on! ), then they bring out better reps and tell you "I don't have Swiss, noone has Swiss, this is Japanese, not Chinese, very good'"

I still bought a couple and they are ok in the 50-70 range.

Anyway, MBK is a very nice place, thanks for this great review, maybe next time I'll be able to see great reps following your advice :)

Bangkok is one of my favorite cities, it's so big lively.

I thought most tailors were scammers with poor quality suits but again I probably did not have the right adresses. I found many amazing tailors in Hoi-an, Vietnam though.

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
I have been to Bangkok twice and both times I went to Patpong market and MBK. I never managed to see any high end reps because most selles would not show me anything but their cheap reps. Most of them can be found cheaper at Patpong night market.

Maybe I did not bargain enough or I look like a tourist that is easy to hustle but I did try and I never saw anything the quality of what TD's sell, not even close.

They show crappy reps in the window (Armani and Dolce Gabbana reps, come on! ), then they bring out better reps and tell you "I don't have Swiss, noone has Swiss, this is Japanese, not Chinese, very good'"

I still bought a couple and they are ok in the 50-70 range.

Anyway, MBK is a very nice place, thanks for this great review, maybe next time I'll be able to see great reps following your advice :)

Bangkok is one of my favorite cities, it's so big lively.

I thought most tailors were scammers with poor quality suits but again I probably did not have the right adresses. I found many amazing tailors in Hoi-an, Vietnam though.
It depends on what you mean by crappy. Are these crappy?
e40bf0b3d90f54a1c43b4cc071d5bea4.jpg
b1bcd82e65197db8179480d595b66108.jpg
edec4b2843632515c52ce8faaae96f45.jpg
6a98030e18253a719fe083404220ecf4.jpg

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Yes: look at lume dots on the GMT and date + screws on the diver... Horrible
What about those dials? What do you think of them? Crappy also?

You see. That gmt II and that "ceramic" diver are probably of the same grade as those on aliexpress, and about the same price. The "extra" benefits you get from MBK is that you can see them, touch them before you buy them (that is if you are one of those who like to buy from aliexpress: see the thread on watches from aliexpress, the number of folks who do). And you will not need to worry about shipment issues, custom issues and etc. But of course, they are definitely not of the same quality as those sold by our TD here.

Crappy? Not sure. Cheapie, yes.

haagendasz

13/5/15
that watch straps seller I must be missed it ...

I went to had lunch with my family at food court 5/6th floor and bought some t shirts for souvenirs but did not notice it ...

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
theres 3 range of reps at mbk. the stuff for tourists, the stuff you get from aliexpress and the stuff you get from tds.

whether they are worth buying depends a lot on your negotiation skills. suffice to say, we are simply not their target market.

TravelWatcher

Looking Around
11/4/16
The MKB is good for mid-market indeed, if you are on a short timeframe and want to be sure to find something semi-decent.
I really like Jokah's Submariner (first page), surely for 2000 baht! I bought one of these last week in MKB, at 2800. The problem was the American guy that refered me to the shop selling this model popped in mid-negotation.. with his family... and my girlfriend didn't have the patience to wait on doing some good bargaining... I am sure I could have picked it up near 2000 baht, but took it for 2800 as it was a last minute gift for my dad that always likes my watches. The shop I bought it from also had a better model that it claimed to be a Noob V6, at 10.000 bath. As I never bought a Noob watch yet, it was hard for me to tel if he was B/Sen or not.

Mine does have a few more flaws: Jokah's seems to have blue markets, bezel pearl and hands. Mine has blue hands and green dots and a green bezel pearl which looks way of compared to Jokah's. A Bali-one I picked up at Bagus Watch in Kuta last year at 50 US had pretty much the same issues. Any idea which shop was selling the one Jokah got, and if they are still available?

It seems a lot of the MKB models are pretty decent, but the affordable ones (2000-3000 baht) have different, quite random flaws, like the mixed markers. Or another one, I almost picked up because I was in a hurry: The head was spot on, but last minute I discovered it had polished links... Way of for a black SS Sub!