• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBK Bangkok Review

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Nice review Retina !!!

Not that ill ever go there (im in USA and dont travel), but its always interesting seeing how it done over there.
I find Asia a fascinating place, (at least from over here)

Rep points !!

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
thanks Raddave :)

wongskalex, have you read the review?

i clearly stated that pam reps are usually priced higher than what our TDs offer here. although im pretty sure there would be some customers who buy wholesale who will get lower prices.
the shops at mbk are useful to get to know the reps first hand, the prices of pams can be found via our TDs websites (Pure-time, intime etc)

you might want to head to project time if you are interested in pams specifically, the watchmaker there as some of the people mentioned as a good businessman, thats probably the only place
i would get my pams from.

razor90

Horology Curious
23/1/14
Retina,

Do you happen to see any pam 390 at Project Time?

Will be dropping by BKK next month, definitely checking out that place for any Pam or some strap as well.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
im pretty sure he can source most of the watches you want.

if its out of stock he might need time to bring it in though.

he only had 6 watches hanging on display when i arrived, i had no idea he was selling them so i didn't ask.

bring a picture and know your price from our TDs.

Good luck!

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Interesting and a good read mate!

Would keep this in mind the next time I stop over at BKK for work/leisure. Don't think its likely that I'll be getting any reps from there but still worth taking a look, especially if theres a wide range of selection for straps.

Paladium

15/2/13
Great review, agreed that its a place to have a feel of your potential piece from TD. 80-90% of the reps there are not that great quality and half of it are like quartz. Think that the 44mm roo is too big for you? Have a test run at there. Most of the salesperson there are alright unless you get on their nerves by haggling too much without any intention of purchase.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Don't haggle until you are sure you intend to purchase. Furthermore, I suggest only going with clear case back models if you are serious about getting it off the vendors. It's to safeguard yourself in ensuring you get the movement you paid for

Shady2

Known Member
22/12/13
Thank you very much for this review, I stumbeled on a old post of Guru but was looking for an update.

swdivad

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/06
Great review and info... sums up MBK very well...

There are also many street dealers in the Patpong soi 1 night market, mostly with low-grade crap visible, but some can get the high grade replicas we're used to by running around the corner.

Like you say, if they see you know what you're talking about, they'll come down to a somewhat reasonable price (~$US20-40 over our rep dealers)... I still although, only buy from the TDs even though I've been living here in Bangkok for years.

porsche356

Known Member
23/11/07
I feel like buying reps in Bangkok is a waste of time?
Money is way way way better spent on bespoke suits and dress shirts!

swdivad

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/06
I feel like buying reps in Bangkok is a waste of time?
Money is way way way better spent on bespoke suits and dress shirts!

Yes, several really good (and many many bad) tailors here!

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
ive made well over 20 shirts, 3 suits and 10 pants in bangkok... no complaints, shirts are holding up well and show minimal signs of wear...

back to watches.... its a good place to try out the watches before purchasing, but i ended up buying most of my reps from TDs eventually. prices are out of whack to commoners.

leonado

Known Member
23/4/06
NahPiek is still going strong.

Yes, if they think you're a noob they will always try to charge you the highest price possible. You need to stand your ground and haggle some.

I have always managed to get good discounts by buying 3-5 watches at a time. Wholesale prices as they call it.

Regards,

L

kentt

Horology Curious
25/3/15
Thanks for the recommendation!
Went to M&M watches at level 3 MBK and got the Pam111 noob 3 for 9000 baht (USD 290).
The boss even swapped in a black strap from another Pam Noob while retaining the original buckle, when I told him I prefer the black strap :)

All in all, a really pleasant experience being able to feel the watch for myself before buying it. Superb quality!
Now if only we could get some Omegas of similar quality there!

apvolcano

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
18/3/15
Did post a reply here but don't know where it went

I do get lower prices than the TD's here when shopping in Mbk , the best thing to do is to show them the model you want on the TD and the price but AFTER you've examined their stock. Then, you should be able to get at least that price and obviously you'd save $25-40 on the P&P if paying with TD.

You have to be firm with them though but there are bargains to be had

leonado

Known Member
23/4/06
Did post a reply here but don't know where it went

I do get lower prices than the TD's here when shopping in Mbk , the best thing to do is to show them the model you want on the TD and the price but AFTER you've examined their stock. Then, you should be able to get at least that price and obviously you'd save $25-40 on the P&P if paying with TD.

You have to be firm with them though but there are bargains to be had

I absolutely agree with you. Thats the way to do it. And lots of fun too.

whoknows

13/9/13
Retina, I believe you qualify as the "Rick Steves" of REP watches. I really enjoyed your post about experience at MBK.