• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MASSIVE Review of VSF 126610LV vs Gen (WARNING! Absolute torrential bombardment of photos)

Powerfluff

Getting To Know The Place
27/2/21
I wanted to share my experience. I recently was able to purchase a gen 126610LV from my local AD. I’ve been wearing the pre-raid VSF LV for about a year. Yes, the VSF is a fantastic rep for the money. However, it’s difficult to put into words how much nicer the gen is. I know, duh, of course it’s nicer for 20x the cost. I just wanted to share that photos comparing the 2 do NOT do the gen enough justice. Everything about the watch is perfect. It has so much presence to it. The feel of the bracelet, clasp, micro adjust, bezel, etc is worlds above the VSF. The white gold hands behind the gen crystal is probably the most striking visual difference I’ve noticed, they’re much more yellow. It’s night and day. The bezel numerals are also another significant difference IRL. You find yourself just staring at the watch. Again, this is hard to describe, but once you handle a gen there is no going back. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a rep again, at least one that hasn’t been modded with gen parts. Anyone want to buy a pre-raid VSF LV?:ROFLMAO: Thanks!

100% some people take decades to realize this. But reps have their place. For example try before you buy or "test drive" this is what I do. For example I now want a YM but none in my local AD's. So before I drop over 10k I have to know for sure 100% that I love it. Not that I will love it for 1 month and then start finding issues that I do not like on the wrist.

So I buy the rep and wear for 3-6months and then go on the list and sell the rep. Need to do this with the explorer 36 as well.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I wanted to share my experience. I recently was able to purchase a gen 126610LV from my local AD. I’ve been wearing the pre-raid VSF LV for about a year. Yes, the VSF is a fantastic rep for the money. However, it’s difficult to put into words how much nicer the gen is. I know, duh, of course it’s nicer for 20x the cost. I just wanted to share that photos comparing the 2 do NOT do the gen enough justice. Everything about the watch is perfect. It has so much presence to it. The feel of the bracelet, clasp, micro adjust, bezel, etc is worlds above the VSF. The white gold hands behind the gen crystal is probably the most striking visual difference I’ve noticed, they’re much more yellow. It’s night and day. The bezel numerals are also another significant difference IRL. You find yourself just staring at the watch. Again, this is hard to describe, but once you handle a gen there is no going back. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a rep again, at least one that hasn’t been modded with gen parts. Anyone want to buy a pre-raid VSF LV?:ROFLMAO: Thanks

Having a few gens, but no Rolex gen, I would agree that they feel "better" than my Exp1 rep

That said, I would never be able to spot a VSF level rep from social distance. Also, even watch in hand without a side by side gen, I don't think I would be able to tell either. Cheaper reps, yes. That level of rep, I don't think so.

For me gens and reps are two different product categories that fulfill different needs & purposes.

the exp1 is my first buy. I bought it because I could not be bothered with the ADs. I will probably buy it in gen as the market is getting normal again.

I have a PAM inbound. Bought because I am curious. Fair chance I will sell it if it's not instant love on arrival

Next buy is a vintage Rolex rep...Because I have an urge to tinker 😁

Next gen buy will be a Planet Ocean, if I don't get the gen Exp1 😁

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
That said, I would never be able to spot a VSF level rep from social distance. Also, even watch in hand without a side by side gen, I don't think I would be able to tell either. Cheaper reps, yes. That level of rep, I don't think so.
I have a Q66 (is that's still the latest?) VSF Starbucks Sub and my boss has a (gen) black bezel Sub.
We cannot tell them apart (other than the colour).

Last edited:

DzR-ALF

21/3/23
Russian Federation
We cannot tell them apart
How can they not be distinguished when gen and vsf are lying next to each other?
1. The hands of the gen watches made of white gold are warmer in hue and give a more voluminous shine. This is noticeable when gen and vsf are lying next to each other
2. Disgusting polishing of rehaut on vsf (or rather, practically its absence), which is immediately visible when compared with gen

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
How can they not be distinguished when gen and vsf are lying next to each other?
1. The hands of the gen watches made of white gold are warmer in hue and give a more voluminous shine. This is noticeable when gen and vsf are lying next to each other
2. Disgusting polishing of rehaut on vsf (or rather, practically its absence), which is immediately visible when compared with gen
Have you got both in front of you?
Have you ever had both in front of you?
Have you ever worn a gen and a VSF in the same 10 mins?
I am merely relaying my experience.

The disasterously dull VSF rehaut.
About 3mm you have to tilt the watch to see.

You really happy to state which of these is gen?

Last edited:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Top is gen you can see the case shape difference again here.

DzR-ALF

21/3/23
Russian Federation
Rehaut on vsf will be similar to gen when the sun is very bright, which should shine directly on the clock. In normal diffused daylight, the vsf rehaut turns gray and the engraving is not practically visible, while on gen it continues to shine and the engraving remains visible.
This moment can be seen in all the photos where people take pictures not of rehaut, but of the general outline of the watch on their hand. Then you can see that on gen it is well polished and shiny, and on vsf it is gray (not in bright sun). Rehaut is well done on clean

meloEU

Getting To Know The Place
12/4/22
Thanks a lot, Very interesting read and good guidelines on What to expect from VSF. Is there no bracelet comparison? Not in looks but in feel and quality.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Rehaut on vsf will be similar to gen when the sun is very bright, which should shine directly on the clock. In normal diffused daylight, the vsf rehaut turns gray and the engraving is not practically visible, while on gen it continues to shine and the engraving remains visible.
This moment can be seen in all the photos where people take pictures not of rehaut, but of the general outline of the watch on their hand. Then you can see that on gen it is well polished and shiny, and on vsf it is gray (not in bright sun). Rehaut is well done on clean
I'm not convinced , this is normal light in the back of my camper;

I really think you are like many here and are talking about watches you don't have, I have worn a gen and a VSF and there isn't much to choose between them.

Last edited:

Kack 13L0CK3R

Magnanimous Supporter
1/4/22
CONUS
Have you got both in front of you?
Have you ever had both in front of you?
Have you ever worn a gen and a VSF in the same 10 mins?
I am merely relaying my experience.

You really happy to state which of these is gen?
Gen is on top. Vsf still amazing all in itself

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Sad to see so extensive and well-written review on 126610LV yet no one loves 126720VTNR and writes a comparison review on it.

Reactions: Backt0thefuture

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Thanks a lot, Very interesting read and good guidelines on What to expect from VSF. Is there no bracelet comparison? Not in looks but in feel and quality.
I'd say you'd not be able to pick a gen from VSF bracelet, but the clasp is too lose and the glide lock too sloppy even new (which is better than "feels like its going to break" that you get from anyone else!).
Tolerances aren't there either on the clasp or the SELs but they are very very good indeed.
Really without a gen in hand a VSF is pretty much gen quality.

It's a world away from most reps!

Last edited:

DzR-ALF

21/3/23
Russian Federation
I really think you are like many here and are talking about watches you don't have, I have worn a gen and a VSF and there isn't much to choose between them.
I will stand by my opinion. Rehaut on vsf looks good when the bright sun hits it. If the rehaut is not exposed to direct sunlight, then it turns gray. That is why many people polish rehaut on vsf and say that clean rehaut looks better and polished.

Reactions: Backt0thefuture

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Sad to see so extensive and well-written review on 126610LV yet no one loves 126720VTNR and writes a comparison review on it.
I stand to be corrected but AFAIK there is no GMT rep from any factory that doesn't need fixing in some way.

Reactions: Kevstah

DzR-ALF

21/3/23
Russian Federation
You really calling these apart?
in this light, they look the same.
But you photograph the rehaut from the side so that the sun's rays fall on it. Take a photo of gen and vsf from above without direct sunlight. Rehaut gen will give a full 360 degree shine, vsf will be just gray and not polished.

hendric

The art of time
Certified
18/10/19
Europe
Just came across this comparison between Gen, VSF and Clean 126610LV.
Very interesting and detailed. The video is from a non-TD.
I own the VSF 126610LN, what I see in the video matches my VSF: the date font of the VSF is noticeably thinner, and the rehaut shines a bit less than Gen & Clean.