• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

MoonWatch3861

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/23
I’ll be buying one in the next few months lol. I’ve set aside 5k so far to buy a new gen, need to save a few thousand more, but I limit myself to only putting 1k per month towards it.
You won't regret it, the watch never gets old too look at.

Y Cymro

Horology Curious
23/9/21
Can anyone recommend a vk64 mecaquartz OG sized Speedmaster? Preferably with a dot under 70 and dot over 90 bezel. I purchased one from TD Repsource-UK which I like and is excellent value, but it has a 42mm dia bezel and 44.5mm wide case, and I’d prefer the usual 40mm/42mm case version. The ones I see on Ali don’t have Omega text or are 44.5mm if they do.
Or point me towards a 30.6mm dia Speedy dial with vk63 register spacing (the one I have has a 33.6mm dia dial so won’t fit an OG sized case).

Watchmusings

Supporter
15/12/23
Given the price difference I’m OK with the slight inconsistencies of the rep. I am looking for the overall look not an exact 1:1.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Here is my QC for my 3861 Speedmaster Rep with the ST19. I think it looks decent. I mean the bezel is a little meh and ofc the wide subdials but a rep is rep.

Reactions: Subrosa01

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Here is my QC for my 3861 Speedmaster Rep with the ST19. I think it looks decent. I mean the bezel is a little meh and ofc the wide subdials but a rep is rep.

Looks great dude! tell us how the watch feels and functions once you have it on hand, do a mini review!

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22

In terms of being faithful to gen I'll have to give it a 6/10
- wide subdials (st19)
- fairly certain crystal is hesalite/mineral both for the top crystal and display crystal
- crystal has a weird blue AR hue to it that is VERY obvious
- the bezel is not aluminium... it feels like a weird composite/plastic, and the printing is very meh - look at the 60/65.. the 0 and 5 are thicker than the 6, etc
- inaccurate bracelet as mentioned
- watch is slightly thicker than gen I think
- laughable deco plate and caseback - I would aim to go closed caseback next time

However, in terms of a nice watch? It's pretty nice. I paid 300 for it so I can't complain. Despite the nitpicking 95% of gen pop won't be able to discern anything.. but to any watch enthusiast who knows any Omega Speedy it's a instant call out

Reactions: Subrosa01

Klohkahn

Horology Curious
15/10/23

- wide subdials (st19)
- fairly certain crystal is hesalite/mineral both for the top crystal and display crystal
- the bezel is not aluminium... it feels like a weird composite/plastic, and the printing is very meh - look at the 60/65.. the 0 and 5 are thicker than the 6, etc
- laughable deco plate and caseback - I would aim to go closed caseback next time

However, in terms of a nice watch? It's pretty nice. I paid 300 for it so I can't complain. Despite the nitpicking 95% of gen pop won't be able to discern anything.. but to any watch enthusiast who knows any Omega Speedy it's a instant call out
What TD you order this from?

Reactions: Milomuu

senzlez2

20/2/20
Jeses christ I have read through 66 pages , so there is no fix for the subdials very disappointing, im wondering if just buy a gen dial and cutting off all the subdials grommets of an st19 and just glue them on :D lmao

Reactions: joeyc

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Jeses christ I have read through 66 pages , so there is no fix for the subdials very disappointing, im wondering if just buy a gen dial and cutting off all the subdials grommets of an st19 and just glue them on :D lmao
There is a reason why the Speedmaster is the most owned gen on this forum.

Reactions: Karbon74 and joeyc

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
Exactly I own a gen as well, worth every penny. Rolex really isn’t That great that’s why there nearly 1:1. You don’t really see 1:1 omega, Vc, patek, ap, grand seiko. That should say everything. I know Rolex is the most known Luxury watch brand, but people like
Other reps and they just can’t make them as close to
Rolex

mule play

7/3/13
LOL! I have a gen so I strongly agree. I picked mine up in the early 2000's for $1200 from a lady who found it in a storage locker liquidation. I've been wearing it for years and it's been perfect. In all water environments too. In 2023, I spent $940 for its first overhaul service. The repair shop sent me back all of the replaced parts (crown, hesalite, all hands and gaskets and some random other parts). Anyone need any used gen parts?

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
LOL! I have a gen so I strongly agree. I picked mine up in the early 2000's for $1200 from a lady who found it in a storage locker liquidation. I've been wearing it for years and it's been perfect. In all water environments too. In 2023, I spent $940 for its first overhaul service. The repair shop sent me back all of the replaced parts (crown, hesalite, all hands and gaskets and some random other parts). Anyone need any used gen parts?
If it fits the current Speedy rep watches LOL interested!

Nestarejse

Looking Around
25/2/24

- wide subdials (st19)

What TD is this watch from?

Roccot31

Looking Around
2/4/22

- wide subdials (st19)

I just bought what looks to be the same manual wind speedy from dhgate. I already have a quartz vk63a one too which I like a lot. My question is, does your watch make a rattling noise when shaken? And when you wind it up, is it smooth or ruff? My sound like something is loose inside, it's not the bracelet (which has new style clasp with no micro adjust) or pushers. I don't see anything through case back, but haven't opened her up just yet. Winding it is ruff not like my Panerai manual which is like butter.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
I just bought what looks to be the same manual wind speedy from dhgate. I already have a quartz vk63a one too which I like a lot. My question is, does your watch make a rattling noise when shaken? And when you wind it up, is it smooth or ruff? My sound like something is loose inside, it's not the bracelet (which has new style clasp with no micro adjust) or pushers. I don't see anything through case back, but haven't opened her up just yet. Winding it is ruff not like my Panerai manual which is like butter.
Mine winds fine like a ST19 and has no noise when shaking.

Y Cymro

Horology Curious
23/9/21
I already have a quartz vk63a one too which I like a lot.
I’d be interested in that version too. Is it a 40mm bezel/42mm case? Any chance of a pic and cost? From where did you buy it?
Thanks

Roccot31

Looking Around
2/4/22
I’d be interested in that version too. Is it a 40mm bezel/42mm case? Any chance of a pic and cost? From where did you buy it?
Thanks
Not sure on actual size. No way to measure it. But the specs said 42mm. I bought off dhgate for $110. The sub dials are sunken in a little. But spaced very closely together like gen. All the hands are silver not white. The bracelet is great in weight, look, and smoothness. It is tapered. Only thing I don't like is the clasp and will switch it out for the old style claps

Ralphista

17/3/24
Hi,all . If I may allow myself to intervene in this discussion …
10-15 years ago I was in a similar situation . But not identical, in the sense I wished desperately a Speedmaster 861 but principally for the manual winding movement and the three subdials which, practically, touch each other so the dial was and is wonderful for me. If it was a “ Moon” it wasn't my interest so I bought a vintage Mark 2 in perfect condition . I got a real deal in my country but then as now for € 2.500, in perfect condition and just revised, can be purchased . Thanks . Greetings from Italy ,