• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Mark: There's a second wrinkle you want to consider: Are the lugholes on the rep Speedy drilled in the same place as on the gen? I've never bought any of the Speedy reps, but I seem to recall seeing a picture of the lugs some time ago, and it looked like the holes were 1-2 mm higher. It would be best if you could ask someone who owns the hand-wind version to take a picture of that area. Then you could determine if the 633s could fit, or if they could be bent to fit well enough.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Wow 5! Thanks for all the info!
I think you're right about the 1450 bracelet being the solid version of the 1171. I came across that too. They are much harder to find though for some reason.

I might try to find some 808's then. I think I'd rather they be pretty close than have to modify some 633. Although, Ofrei says 4-6 weeks to order the 808's. Don't know if I can wait that long. I think I'm going to order an 1171 from them though. I've found several on fleabay but they're usually pretty stretched and roughed up and don't sell for much less than a new one from Otto...

I have 2 moonies on the way so far. One is a quartz from Watch Eden and the other is a cheapo 21j from Silix with the wrong caseback. It says "Michael Schumacher" on the back.

I'm also trying to get a Lemania manual from Marvellous Replica.

I'm hoping the lemania version with gen bracelet will appease me. It had better for about $500 freakin' bucks. Sheesh. See what you started!

All kidding aside though... Thank you for all your help.

Uh oh. I must have been typing the same time you were LHOOQ. Hmmm. Maybe MR will do that for me.

I'd better sell some of my other reps to fund this venture...

Thanks for the heads up LHOOQ!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
If you ever find a 1450 in the wild and you don't want one for yourself, PM me immediately.

By the way, did you see the "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster that was announced at Baselworld? It's a remake of Wally Schirra's CK2998 Pre-Moon. There are a few details I would like to change, but the case itself is nice and straight-lugged. A bargain, at... CHF 4995.

Ugh.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Yeah. If I find one, I'll be sure and let you know... :whistle:

I looked at that “First Omega in Space†Speedmaster and it's really cool.

I'd also looooove to find one like this in a rep. I know it's not repped but would be really cool.

87speedmaster3760822.jpg

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
There's a guy over RG selling one with a 7750 movement and three dials.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I can't seem to find it. Can you give me a link?

I found one I think you might be talking about but it's a planet ocean...

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok 5. I just ordered the handwind version from MR and an 1171 with 633 end pieces from Otto Frei. If your offer for the crystal still stands...

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
If you ever find a 1450 in the wild and you don't want one for yourself, PM me immediately.

I read somewhere that a decent 1450 will sell for $600 or more! Wow. It would be almost worth buying a 1980s Speedy and selling off the bracelet.

By the way, did you see the "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster that was announced at Baselworld? It's a remake of Wally Schirra's CK2998 Pre-Moon. There are a few details I would like to change, but the case itself is nice and straight-lugged. A bargain, at... CHF 4995.

Ugh.

I actually love the new "1962" Speedmaster, except for the hands. I'm pretty sure I would change every one of them out to the 57-Reissue hands. The pre-Pro look, however, is drool worthy for a Speedy lover! Is this a limited edition, or will they crank out a bunch of them?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I read somewhere that a decent 1450 will sell for $600 or more! Wow. It would be almost worth buying a 1980s Speedy and selling off the bracelet.
You wouldn't be the first! There are a lot of late-80s Speedmasters on sale that mysteriously have the wrong bracelets mounted...

$600 is a bargain compared to what I've paid for some rattly Rolex bits!

I actually love the new "1962" Speedmaster, except for the hands. I'm pretty sure I would change every one of them out to the 57-Reissue hands. The pre-Pro look, however, is drool worthy for a Speedy lover! Is this a limited edition, or will they crank out a bunch of them?
Here's what I would do if I had the time and the cash, and assuming the parts would fit:
-Swap the dial, hands, and bezel for 57-Reissue units.
-Change the sapphire to a Hesalite crystal.
-Figure out a way of jamming a 1039 bracelet onto it. Or if those lugs are 20mm apart, a 1450. :)

Total cost? Probably almost as much an original CK2998, or about the same as a later, straight-lug c.321. Hmm...

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Here's what I would do if I had the time and the cash, and assuming the parts would fit:
-Figure out a way of jamming a 1039 bracelet onto it. Or if those lugs are 20mm apart, a 1450. :)

Total cost? Probably almost as much an original CK2998, or about the same as a later, straight-lug c.321. Hmm...

I wish I had the time, the cash and, more importantly, the knowledge.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10

Agreed, the plexi is a must-have part. I didn't realize this model had a sapphire. Since we are dreaming, a chocolate dial would be nice as well! I actually like the idea of leather on this model, just not that leather. Yuck.

In all seriousness, I wonder if that straight lug case will be available for separate purchase in the future (possibly in a few years)? I could totally see spending a mountain of cash building "my" version of the Wally Shirra watch. Even if I just swapped the guts out of my vanilla Speedy it would still result in a hell of a nice watch. Hmm indeed...

EDIT: Hey Mark, the plexi is boxed up and will ship out tomorrow. Good luck with all this stuff!

Also, here is picture since some people won't know what we are going on about:

1962Speedy.jpg

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Thanks 5! I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be needing more help from you soon!

As far as the Wally Shirra watch, I know it's supposed to be accurate to the original and stuff and I like it but I don't like the size of those versions.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Agreed, the plexi is a must-have part. I didn't realize this model had a sapphire. Since we are dreaming, a chocolate dial would be nice as well! I actually like the idea of leather on this model, just not that leather. Yuck.

Agreed on that uninspiring leather strap, but maybe it wouldn't look so bad if it were set off by your imagined chocolate dial. Hey, if the "Brown Theme" can work for Panerai...

In all seriousness, I wonder if that straight lug case will be available for separate purchase in the future (possibly in a few years)?
1962Speedy.jpg

That would be a dream come true, but very long odds that it ever becomes reality. Omega would know that the bulk of buyers would be modders and hobbyists, and they are the last people that OMEGA wants to cater to, now that they're evil, overpriced bastards.

Good luck with the plexi, Mark!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Thanks!

My 1171 from Ofrei just showed up...

1e0c7124.jpg

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Sigh, I sould have bought a gen speedie ages ago, the prices are going up to the extent you may as well buy new but I'd prefer a 70s one. or of case, the ultimate: http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog?action=load&lotid=251&auctionid=170
that price was stupid cheap as these have sold for over USD200k

251.jpg

I want one of these so, so badly!

Hi res: http://images.antiquorum.com/170/full/251.jpg

Hey Boss! I'm with you on this and I'm glad to see they didn't do the "Snoopy" Version.

Got my QC pics from MR for my handwind version. Looks good so hopefully I can make all this work. I also have a NASA velcro strap on the way. Hope it looks right. Gotta have options! ;)

Thanks for all your help guys!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
So here's my new quartz Moonie with gen 1171 bracelet. I like the combo a lot. A little disappointed in the 1171 though. You guys think the gen Submariner bracelets used to feel cheap and tin like, you should feel this thing. Feels like it's made of aluminum. Very noisy too... I need fatter springbars to try to tighten it up a little at the endlinks. Seems to be where the majority of noise is coming from. The endlinks didn't fit perfectly but I forced them a little and they're ok now. Not perfect but really good.

Now I have a 21j moonie and a handwind one on the way. I'll wait and see which one is best and probably move the other ones along. The only thing I really don't like is the subdials. They're flat instead of being recessed. Not sure about the 21j but I bought the handwind from MR and he said they're flat on that one as well. Wondering if I can do some sort of dial swap.

And thank you to Mr. 5 of clubs. I got the crystal in the mail yesterday. Thanks again to you sir!

Here's the eyecandy...

dcc7b650.jpg

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
The bracelet looks great! And you're welcome for the plexi. Hopefully LHOOQ will be along shortly to help with the springbar situation. I can say that the gen Omega bars are very slightly larger than any standard bars that I have ever used. I guess that's an option? Either way, the bracelet looks terrific. :)