• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I figured it would be something like that. Can't just be a regular spring bar. That'd be too easy.

Just looked on Ofrei and it appears the ones I need are out of stock...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]OME-SPRING-BAR-03
Out of stock.

Soooooo now what? LHOOQ helllllllllppp!

[/FONT]

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I figured it would be something like that. Can't just be a regular spring bar. That'd be too easy.

Just looked on Ofrei and it appears the ones I need are out of stock...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]OME-SPRING-BAR-03
Out of stock.

Soooooo now what? LHOOQ helllllllllppp!

[/FONT]

You're nuts. :)

Use a regular, double-flanged, 20mm springbar! Try a 1.8mm diameter if you need more meat in there.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Thanks! If I'm nuts, then you are too...:lol:

I figured there would be a generic version I could use, just didn't know standard diameters etc.

As always, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Thanks! If I'm nuts, then you are too...:lol:

Oh, that's well established! I've actually thought about ordering gen bars for my SM300. Those are the only non-Omega bits on that watch, and I just know someone's going to call me out! :mob:

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Hey, that's a nice watch! Oooooo, those are fake spring bars aren't they?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
"Here, let me just take off the bracelet for you.. hey... wait a minute! You're a phony, a big fat phony! Hey everybody, this guy's a phony"

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Sooooo... I just went to my local Fast Fix place in the mall and bought 2 new springbars. They're 20mm x 1.8mm. I could use a little bigger. Didn't do much. Although the thieves charge me $10 for 2 spring bars so My wallet is a little lighter. Is there a 2.0mm somewhere?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
"Here, let me just take off the bracelet for you.. hey... wait a minute! You're a phony, a big fat phony! Hey everybody, this guy's a phony"

Ah, but I often wear my SM300 on mesh, giving keen eyes a glimpse of my fraudulent bars. It's only a matter of time...

Sooooo... I just went to my local Fast Fix place in the mall and bought 2 new springbars. They're 20mm x 1.8mm. I could use a little bigger. Didn't do much. Although the thieves charge me $10 for 2 spring bars so My wallet is a little lighter. Is there a 2.0mm somewhere?

Crooks! I believe you should be able to get 2mm thick double-flanges from parts suppliers, if you think they'll help. But can the 633 endlinks accommodate them? Unfortunately, my 1171 is at home, so I can't check.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
There's swiss iso standard springbars available aswell from most suppliers, identical to gen, ....if its gen you are looking for but much cheaper, as in 1/10 the cost as they aren't listed as 'official' brand parts. At the end of the day though, almost any good thick springbar does the job.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Crooks! I believe you should be able to get 2mm thick double-flanges from parts suppliers, if you think they'll help. But can the 633 endlinks accommodate them? Unfortunately, my 1171 is at home, so I can't check.

They are crooks! I gave 'em a pretty hard time about it. Gen Omega spring bars on Ofrei are only $3.50 each. Unfortunately they have a $15 minimum order... I may do it anyway though because they have the 2.0's

I don't care about gen spring bars though. I just want them to be tight. I do think there's room in the 633's for the 2.0mm since the 1.8's are still a little loose.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok. I have some 2.0mm bars on the way. Let's see what that does...

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Yeah, this will be ongoing for a little while since my other two versions of the moon watch aren't here yet...

GFlansburg

Renowned Member
29/12/11
Any dealers offer one with a domed crystal? Ive been trying to source one but they are all flat, with the improper tachymetre spelling

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
My quartz one from watcheden has a domed crystal... not sure if you can tell in the prior pics but it is. Spelling is tachymetre...

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
No problem. This is the item number for the exact watch I bought... 18479

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Right just read the whole thread, great thread btw, great read! Markh why not save all this bother and save up for a nice 2nd hand gen, you will never be satisfied with the moony reps, they are great in that they are a stepping stone for a while as you put the money together, but ultimately they always lack, especially with the moony.

If this was a PO with all the franken knowledge and options available it would be different but the gen moony is difficult to resist when it comes calling. Tell me to go jump if you want :D but you are already pouring good money into a project (while a great experience :)) that will leave you still desiring the gen.

Just imo and all that, the speedy is my grail. I went through the same thing of buying the a21j, the quartz and the st19 between 2007 and 2009 when I hummed and hawed about the price on good used gens on ebay (about £700 at the time minty) looking back now I was silly, they were a great price then, eventually I plunged for one in 2010 (still a good price but dearer) and it was a beauty. Not sure of the price now, obviously prices gone a little mad over the past two years but still can be had around £1400 or equivalent?

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I understand your point, but I really like to own a rep for a while before I would consider purchasing the gen. (I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Mark is doing here). For me, it's a bit like a test drive. For instance, I was sure I wanted a gen Speedy after having the rep, but I was equally sure that I will never buy a gen 45mm PO.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I know what you mean, I see it that way aswell, the test drive always had me longing for the better car, but I don't exactly regret trying the speedy reps, I wore them happily while I put the cash for gen together. It helped confirm to me that I definitely wanted a speedy long term and would never flip it and that it was really a grail and not just a passing fad for me. Just a pity I didn't buy a few of them while they were £700 :D ....on a similar vein we should've bought several rolex subs when they were £1800 used back then :D ...some nice returns to be had on them now!