• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Explorer II 226570 with VR3285 Made with Gen as Reference

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
I haven't been very active lately, so sorry for a spoonfeeding session - is there perhaps a CF version in the works? I'm kinda hesitant about getting another GMF lemon.

EstebanMcQueen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/3/22
This is one of those situations where you eventually have to get both...if you can, of course. For some reason I much prefer black, there's something about the dominant black with hints of white and orange that just works for me.
I really preferred the black, once I get it if the overall build quality convinces me, then I might get the polar just for the sake of it.

Reactions: Therion666

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
I haven't been very active lately, so sorry for a spoonfeeding session - is there perhaps a CF version in the works? I'm kinda hesitant about getting another GMF lemon.
In the following thread there is someone writing about a possible release:

Reactions: Therion666

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
thank you I love the watch, it’s stunning and so easy to read the time.

the dial colour is very close between them, they are both a lovely true bright white. They both also have a Matt like finish

the orange on the explorer text is also very close, maybe the gen is a slightly bolder but it’s not really noticeable.

it’s a very very close rep, I’ve not seen an explorer rep as good as this before, the only real issues are the nipples on the lume but you can’t see them without really looking.
Hi Colin, thank you for your comparison. I’m waiting for my polar too. Can I ask you what you think about the crystal near the gen? Does it need to be upgraded with a gen crystal or it’s not worth? Thank you

Colin46

22/4/23
Uk
Hi Colin, thank you for your comparison. I’m waiting for my polar too. Can I ask you what you think about the crystal near the gen? Does it need to be upgraded with a gen crystal or it’s not worth? Thank you

Hi, personally I wouldn't bother its really clear like the gen, no colour cast on the pure white dial and sits the same height above the bezel like the gen. It seems to have the ar on the underside which makes it really clear to read the dial print and time

My usual issue with reps is if the dates arnt all aligned centrally in the date window, this really bugs me as you see it every time you look at the watch, but im really happy to say that in the case of this watch, my copy anyway, they all align perfectly and move over instantly at midnight just ike the gen.

The date might be magnified ever so slightly more than the gen but otherwise it's a rep that doesn't really need any upgrading. You would only really see this if you put the two side by side, it's not really an issue. In fact different Rolex gen watches have slightly different magnifications on their dates.

As long as the movement is good, this is a great rep of the explorer 2.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Hi, personally I wouldn't bother its really clear like the gen, no colour cast on the pure white dial and sits the same height above the bezel like the gen. It seems to have the ar on the underside which makes it really clear to read the dial print and time

My usual issue with reps is if the dates arnt all aligned centrally in the date window, this really bugs me as you see it every time you look at the watch, but im really happy to say that in the case of this watch, my copy anyway, they all align perfectly and move over instantly at midnight just ike the gen.

The date might be magnified ever so slightly more than the gen but otherwise it's a rep that doesn't really need any upgrading. You would only really see this if you put the two side by side, it's not really an issue. In fact different Rolex gen watches have slightly different magnifications on their dates.

As long as the movement is good, this is a great rep of the explorer 2.
Many thanks for your reply. Very appreciated

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
Those qc look great. How does the band and clasp feel compared to other reps like vsf/arf/cf? I will be ordering one.
Feels alright tbh.
Giving it a oil bath later thatll improve its feel.

Finishing it decent
Clasp is a bit more rounded off compared to the older clasps. Which makes it closer to gen shape.

Endlinks are tight af. Zero movement or play at all.

4thgendan

22/12/21
United States
Feels alright tbh.
Giving it a oil bath later thatll improve its feel.

Finishing it decent
Clasp is a bit more rounded off compared to the older clasps. Which makes it closer to gen shape.

Endlinks are tight af. Zero movement or play at all.
I appreciate all the info this looks to be a great daily wearer. I always loved the explorer for flying under the radar compared to the ceramics and TT.