• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Explorer II 226570 with VR3285 Made with Gen as Reference

Burt Macklin

Supporter
Certified
4/4/20
London
I've had a GMF polar Explorer II now for just over two weeks and I can attest to the movement being absolutely garbage now. Ran absolutely perfectly for the first week but now I have trouble setting it.... once I do the second hand gives up after around a minute and I have to unscrew the crown in order to get it moving again. Sounds like the same issue others are encountering.

Very disappointed in the quality of the movement, I guess I will have to find a replacement GMT movement and a watcmsmith to replace it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

CTbeforeLP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/12/21
Canada
I've had a GMF polar Explorer II now for just over two weeks and I can attest to the movement being absolutely garbage now. Ran absolutely perfectly for the first week but now I have trouble setting it.... once I do the second hand gives up after around a minute and I have to unscrew the crown in order to get it moving again. Sounds like the same issue others are encountering.

Very disappointed in the quality of the movement, I guess I will have to find a replacement GMT movement and a watcmsmith to replace it. Does anyone have any recommendations?
This is the part you need to replace.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada

Super franken explorer II

- GMF case and bracelet
- DD3285 with gen date seat for the Explorer II
- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen case tube + Crown
- Gen Crystal
- Gen Datewheel
- Gen balance complete
- Gen barrel+mainspring
Beautiful build.

Reactions: CTbeforeLP

CTbeforeLP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/12/21
Canada

- GMF case and bracelet
- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen case tube + Crown
- Gen Crystal
- Gen Datewheel
- Gen balance complete
- Gen barrel+mainspring
I swapped over to a C+ Case + bracelet for it's superior rehaut, and brushing finish. But I kept the GMF bezel.

I have tried this in the past with the SH3285 but it never fit as the date seat on the sh3285 has little nubs that go around it that protrude more than it should. Shaving those down a little could probably help if someone wanted to do that.

But since now I have dd3285 with a Gen date seat that doesn't have that issue, I tried again. And it fit in perfectly.

It's also nice to know that the C+ case tube is gen spec and can accept a Gen crown.

Last edited:

Yuvalti

Do not accept unsolicited offers
9/7/24
If you're into high-quality reps, this might be worth checking out.

tongsui

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/5/14
One of my client's GMF explorer is experiencing some issues and im exploring options for him. Just wondering

@dogwood @CTbeforeLP have you guys experimented if the GMF sh3285 entire date plate/bridge can be migrated to a 126710's dd3285 , to make a hybrid 3285 that will work with the GMF dial.

Any response be much appreciated

Last edited:

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter

- GMF case and bracelet
- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen case tube + Crown
- Gen Crystal
- Gen Datewheel
- Gen balance complete
- Gen barrel+mainspring
How do the visual parts that you mentioned compare to the gen parts? I know there’s comparison reviews but it’s always different with the naked eye.

Fantastic build BTW.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
One of my client's GMF explorer is experiencing some issues and im exploring options for him. Just wondering

@dogwood @CTbeforeLP have you guys experimented if the GMF sh3285 entire date plate/bridge can be migrated to a 126710's dd3285 , to make a hybrid 3285 that will work with the GMF dial.

Any response be much appreciated
Yup it’s been done. It requires a bit of work. This is the starting post about it. There’s another post later in the thread about finishing the job.

tongsui

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/5/14
Yup it’s been done. It requires a bit of work. This is the starting post about it. There’s another post later in the thread about finishing the job.

Thank you for sharing ! Admire your work :)