• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Explorer II 226570 with VR3285 Made with Gen as Reference

hoshima6187

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
6/11/18
Is there a version number we ask for from our TD to get this latest version and not old stock?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Ok. Let me check my parts drawer. I’ll DM you in a couple of hours. It’s still early here and I just woke up.
I've got you covered. DM sent.

KDWboP.jpeg

TheDan772

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
7/7/23
SF
Don't believe that's the GMF, which has the date wheel properly placed relative to gen. JVSF, which I believe that is, has a smaller crown (more similar to gen) than the GMF, but wrong date wheel position. Not sure why GMF factory hasn't figured this out yet.

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
If only the SH/VR3285 wasn’t such a crap shoot of a movement. I was servicing a GMF explorer 2 movement yesterday (it was a brand new watch) and I found rust on the setting lever spring (see pic).

This is quite a hard problem to solve. If the part were all stainless steel I’d simply sand off the rust spots abd then dump the part in hot citric acid to passivate the surface. But because this part has a brass wheel peened onto it, if I tried to passivate it, I’d destroy the part through galvanic corrosion. (Or at least that’s my understand, I’m a physicist not a chemist).

Reactions: john442

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/2/17
EU
Hi guys,
As I'm planning to swap the fat crown with a gen one I'd like to be sure:
First = to get the right one (should be part number B24-724-0-G1 Milgauss, SkyDweller, Explorer 2, AirKing).
K3eAyp.jpeg

Second = Is the gen crown plug and play with stock gmf tube?
Is there anyone who already did it?
Special thanks to @dogwood for his insight on tube size which turned out to be 3,95mm
K3e23b.jpeg

Fat crown on stock tube for reference:
K3eL45.jpeg

What it's scaring me is the size of the hole of the stock tube too large or too small for gen crown pinion.
Some months ago I tried to fit a gen DJ41 crown on a Clean v2 Datejust 41 and hole of the stock tube was too small to allow the crown to stick in.

CTbeforeLP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/12/21
Canada
Hi guys,
As I'm planning to swap the fat crown with a gen one I'd like to be sure:
First = to get the right one (should be part number B24-724-0-G1 Milgauss, SkyDweller, Explorer 2, AirKing).
K3eAyp.jpeg

Second = Is the gen crown plug and play with stock gmf tube?
Is there anyone who already did it?
Special thanks to @dogwood for his insight on tube size which turned out to be 3,95mm
K3e23b.jpeg

Fat crown on stock tube for reference:
K3eL45.jpeg

What it's scaring me is the size of the hole of the stock tube too large or too small for gen crown pinion.
Some months ago I tried to fit a gen DJ41 crown on a Clean v2 Datejust 41 and hole of the stock tube was too small to allow the crown to stick in.
The genuine 724 crown won't fit the case tube of the GMF explorer (case tube is too small in diameter). You will need to have a Gen case tube installed into the case.

Reactions: dogwood

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/2/17
EU
The genuine 724 crown won't fit the case tube of the GMF explorer (case tube is too small in diameter). You will need to have a Gen case tube installed into the case.
That was the info I needed!
Thanks a lot!

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/2/17
EU
Next and last question is:
Will gen tube fit into gmf case?

breitling87

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/9/13
how's the movement holding up in these for the people who own them? looking at getting one but read a few reports of it being unreliable