• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Explorer II 226570 with VR3285 Made with Gen as Reference

EstebanMcQueen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/3/22

According to my friend,

Rep, left, gen right
The SUPERLATIVE isn't too bad, but the EXPLORER II font weight and color is slightly off. Bezel font looks good
Indicator outline is also a bit thinner
Yeah, the color looks a bit different. But this could be the lightning in which the pictures were taken. Otherwise the outline of the GMT hand does seem thinner.
And the second I on certified does look shorter 💀

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I’m fairly sure that on gen the word EXPLORER is a darker orange, just to Compensate for its size and optically look the same tone as the GMT hand.

Reactions: vcappp

Colin46

22/4/23
Uk
And here is my new gen

Off the bat I can see a few differences but they are slight

The weight is practically the same when the same number of links are fitted
The lume dots, on the rep, have slight nipples but you can't really see them when the watch is on the wrist unless light hits them from a certain direction.
The black markers around the lume hour markers is slightly thicker on the gen but unless you put them side by side you wouldn't realise
The radial brushing, on the bezel, on the rep is really good and the black markers on the bezel are very good
The date is centred in the window but the magnification is slightly higher on the rep
The reheat is aligned perfectly all the way around and the engraving looks crisp
The bracelet and the clasp on the rep is excellent and the screws unscrew nicely unlike the gen, I think Rolex concrete them in.

Really excellent rep, much better then any previous explorer rep I've seen own the past

lnklsznt

Horology Curious
12/1/22
And here is my new gen

The lume dots, on the rep, have slight nipples but you can't really see them when the watch is on the wrist unless light hits them from a certain direction.
The black markers around the lume hour markers is slightly thicker on the gen but unless you put them side by side you wouldn't realise
The radial brushing, on the bezel, on the rep is really good and the black markers on the bezel are very good
The date is centred in the window but the magnification is slightly higher on the rep
The reheat is aligned perfectly all the way around and the engraving looks crisp
The bracelet and the clasp on the rep is excellent and the screws unscrew nicely unlike the gen, I think Rolex concrete them in.

Really excellent rep, much better then any previous explorer rep I've seen own the past
The letter sizes of "certified" of gen looks uneven too, esp the 2 "i" seem shorter.

Reactions: EstebanMcQueen

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
And here is my new gen

Congrats on the gen pickup!

How would you describe any differences in the dial colour and texture and also is ‘EXPLORER’ on the rep noticeably weaker than on your gen?

Shame about the nipples in the lume on the rep indices.

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
I think I may have to pull the trigger. The black one has been on my radar for years now... I'm just a bit hesitant about the fact that it comes from GMF. My experience with their reps is not stellar. They mostly feel like reps..This one might be better though due to the fixed bezel.

Colin46

22/4/23
Uk
Congrats on the gen pickup!

How would you describe any differences in the dial colour and texture and also is ‘EXPLORER’ on the rep noticeably weaker than on your gen?

Shame about the nipples in the lume on the rep indices.

thank you I love the watch, it’s stunning and so easy to read the time.

the dial colour is very close between them, they are both a lovely true bright white. They both also have a Matt like finish

the orange on the explorer text is also very close, maybe the gen is a slightly bolder but it’s not really noticeable.

it’s a very very close rep, I’ve not seen an explorer rep as good as this before, the only real issues are the nipples on the lume but you can’t see them without really looking.

Therion666

Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
It's very difficult to see these details IRL...

Therion666

Supporter
Certified
26/12/13
This is one of those situations where you eventually have to get both...if you can, of course. For some reason I much prefer black, there's something about the dominant black with hints of white and orange that just works for me.