• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Day-Date 40mm Tungsten Heavy Version

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah, kinda right ... I was at the same point like you ... and then saw, that even in their renderings they make a tiny little color distinction between WG and PT:

... as in real life (I guess?!), the WG is a little more yellow than the PT.
... I used old school GIF animation to show ;)
Right but the question was about which the rep was supposed to be and since it's SS you can't say it's either one except for the Ice Blue dial. The rep hallmarks and clasp engravings ID it as a particular model but factories get that wrong sometimes too.

Reactions: DSignR

wtforce

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
21/11/22
platinum is also heavier than gold so you need even more tungsten to match the plat models

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I’ve recently seen this appear on WeChat. It appears to be a tungsten (some alloy) case for a Daytona that’s then plated/wrapped/melted(?)… here’s what the guy on WeChat said:

“Fourth generation of melting gold technology, not gold wrap, gold one layer on the case, no drop skin, no color difference, after the original color matching. The weight is exactly the same.”

That’s not a translation, he wrote in English, so it’s not like I can post what he wrote in Chinese and we can get a better translation.

He said that a full case, clasp, and oyster bracelet would be ~20,000CNY ($2,800 USD). Which seems both expensive and cheap compared to the cost of a custom full gold cnc case.

Reactions: mmaggi

wtforce

Supporter
Certified
21/11/22
I’ve recently seen this appear on WeChat. It appears to be a tungsten (some alloy) case for a Daytona that’s then plated/wrapped/melted(?)… here’s what the guy on WeChat said:

“Fourth generation of melting gold technology, not gold wrap, gold one layer on the case, no drop skin, no color difference, after the original color matching. The weight is exactly the same.”

That’s not a translation, he wrote in English, so it’s not like I can post what he wrote in Chinese and we can get a better translation.

He said that a full case, clasp, and oyster bracelet would be ~20,000CNY ($2,800 USD). Which seems both expensive and cheap compared to the cost of a custom full gold cnc case.
full gold as in real gold? How much would that be

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
full gold as in real gold? How much would that be
There are modders in China who make full 18k gold cases, but they are quite expensive. The cost depends on the current spot price of gold, but is somewhere between 10K and 20K USD.

Reactions: Dueller

cranestep

Known Member
26/5/22

Looks fishy to me, as a Chinese speaker I still couldn't get his meaning, what he wrote sounds like a 18k solid gold situation.
Anyway, the color is still deadly wrong for any 18K gold in Rolex, so we can end the discussion earlier lol.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
Also got reference, a gen sub is 158grams. These tungsten “heavy” day dates are 161grams. This is not a heavy watch.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
We are off so much still....

BrandRolex
Strap materialEverose Gold 18 carats
Clasp typeDeployant buckle
Clasp materialEverose gold 18 carats
Total weight199 grams (bracelet set for a 17.5cm wrist)

''How much does a White Gold Day-Date weigh?

roughly 179 to 225 grams

The Rolex Day-Date is available in yellow gold, white gold, or platinum, so you can usually expect it to weigh roughly 179 to 225 grams depending on the material you choose.''

Reactions: masterpiece777

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Has anyone pulled the trigger one on of these yet? Whilst still some way off gen weight (around 40g or so based on the replies above) its still a massive step in the right direction and completely understandable given they will be machined from Copper-Tungsten alloys for ease of machining.

Admittedly I'm a little cautious after the whole JDF "tungsten" debacle a few months back, also some of the prices on JTimes website seem a little too good to be true, this one as an example for just $458 seems worth a punt:

masterpiece777

17/6/19
EUROPE
My wish for now is that a factory will produce parts like bezels casebacks etc made of tungsten.
Al for example having a Daytona on oysterflex with tungsten bezel and case back will be a huge step forward in weight..
But let’s wait in 3 years from now on..

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
I have posted this info in other threads, the tungsten is in the bracelet and it’s not mind blowing, but it’s noticeably different.

If I didn’t tell you which watch had it, you’d think the heavier of the two feels better built. Just a perception.

They do this with their DJ’s making them heavier than gen (for SS models which I have personal scale pix of)

I love the idea tho, and think it could be taken pretty far!

Reactions: KJ2020

crazyua

10/9/22
Greenville SC
For the SS Tungsten model, I'm not seeing any type of plating in the description. I take it this type of ss/tungsten can be white gold plated after receiving right?

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US
Never mind, just realised these are using 2836s instead of 3235s, that explains the $100 price difference....
I spoke to Eric about these, and he said the Tungsten version just wasn't worth it. He also stated it felt off balance. I was about to order one with the chocolate motif dial, as I wanted to get it plated in everose by Nikz. Eric told me to just save the $100 and get the normal version with the 3235 at $448, which is what I ended up doing last week just waiting on QCs.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
I spoke to Eric about these, and he said the Tungsten version just wasn't worth it. He also stated it felt off balance. I was about to order one with the chocolate motif dial, as I wanted to get it plated in everose by Nikz. Eric told me to just save the $100 and get the normal version with the 3235 at $448, which is what I ended up doing last week just waiting on QCs.
Aye the more reading I have done on these new models the more I have been led to the same conclusion!

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US
Or Eric’s telling you that because your order has already been placed 😅
Huh? That makes no sense.
I asked Eric to order the more expensive watch that he would make more money on, and he told me it wasn't worth it, so I placed an order for the less expensive watch based on his expertise. I have a pretty good relationship with the TDs I use, and based on my relationships, he steered me away from a watch that wasn't worth it. I am not sure how you deciphered that any other way.

crazyua

10/9/22
Greenville SC
Ah my bad I thought you said you already ordered the older watch before hearing of this one. And my TD (Steve theonewatch) didn’t say anything bad about it. I’m getting the new new one with upgraded movement. I’ll update my thoughts on it

Reactions: Theodizee

Silverg

I'm Pretty Popular
8/11/08
Us

This would be pretty close to gen. Add in the movement, dial, ring, band etc and you'll be within 5~10 grams of gen weight.

Reactions: Wstn33