• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fine Wines

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Oh I disagree, completely. Pinot Noir when it's really good can stand on it's own any day of the week. There are so many good Pinots being produced from California's Santa Barbara County and Sonomas Russian River, Sonoma Coast, Alexander Valley, Mendocino and The Carneros of Napa and Sonoma Counties. Plus many many from the center of Oregon. The good ones can be consumed just like any good wine, by itself, or just with cheese and bread and be orgasmic.
Rogerwine

Inexperienced wine drinkers that I know will respond favorably to the flabby, tannic cabs and zins because the acid and oak are quick to give them something. Until they learn to experience the subtleties of pinot, they fall back to the California cabs every time. As their palate becomes more sophisticated, they get it entirely.

Argyle stands as the consistently best value from the Willamette Valley, IMHO, at least for a winery that produces more than 2000 cases. Willamette Valley Vineyards is easier to find, and can hit a home run occasionally.

As an Oregonian, I am a big fan of pinot made in the burgundian style. I agree that the Central Coast and Carneros in particular have some good producers. Sanford and MacMurray Ranch come to mind. I'm sure you like others, too. Any suggestions?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Enjoying a wine is like enjoying a watch. It is a matter of personnal tastes, there is no right or wrong answer :)

paulbrichter

29/3/11
I've been learning and watching my entire life. This is the first batch I made on my own, with help from my father in law, the man with the grapes.
watches010.jpg

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
I appear to be the only Zin drinker here, nice...

Nope - old vine Zin drinker right here!!!

Love em, love em', love em'. Big, jammy, spicey bottles of goodness. The run of the mill at our house; Ravenswood, Dancing Bull, Cline, Bogle...

High end, Biale vineyards "Black Chicken" is a "must try".

My wife and I really appreciate the Argentinian offerings too, Malbecs in particular. Zolo comes to mind...

For you Old Vine Red Zin drinkers, I have a hidden gem for you. Kunde Century Vine. Kunde is out Sanoma CA USA and all of their reds are great. The Century Vine is the best though.

Silver Oak is one of my favorite Cabs. Silver Oak (Napa) also makes a Merlot called Twomey. It is rockstar as well.

+1 on the Kunde. Had a "discounted" bottle of Silver Oak at Ruth's Chris a couple of months ago... yummy. Have yet to take the tram for the Silver Oak tour on our trips to Napa and Sonoma.

Inexperienced wine drinkers that I know will respond favorably to the flabby, tannic cabs and zins because the acid and oak are quick to give them something. Until they learn to experience the subtleties of pinot, they fall back to the California cabs every time. As their palate becomes more sophisticated, they get it entirely.

Argyle stands as the consistently best value from the Willamette Valley, IMHO, at least for a winery that produces more than 2000 cases. Willamette Valley Vineyards is easier to find, and can hit a home run occasionally.

As an Oregonian, I am a big fan of pinot made in the burgundian style. I agree that the Central Coast and Carneros in particular have some good producers. Sanford and MacMurray Ranch come to mind. I'm sure you like others, too. Any suggestions?

Well said my friend. IMO the better Pinot's are generally in the $40 to $60 range. I will keep an eye out for those recommendations. :D

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
3 weeks ago we went in Ardèche for the weekend with some friends, and gave a try at some local wines. Nothing fancy execpt maybe for that 2007 Jeroboam of Syrah which was surprisingly quite good!

P1050051.jpg

coolwatchdude

Renowned Member
27/10/11
i'll contribute. i've gotten up to 100 bottles in my collection. 1/4 of that contribution has come from RMW reserves (Spotlight member since 2005). Its difficult to build a collection when youre a drinker.

a few varietals in my collection worth mentioning:
Malbec LAMADRID
Cotes du Rhone Clos du Caillou Vacheron Pouilzin
Pinot Noir Silvestri (Carmel)
Merlot Raymond 2006

Cheers!

sevenstars

Horology Curious
14/2/10
I am looking for a little help please. I have a few nice bottles of cognacs that I am looking to try and sell. I have tried a few cognac forums, but have received no answers at all. Does anyone here by chance know where I can try to sell my bottles?

Thank you and please forgive the intrusion in the wine thread.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Right now I have about ~168 bottles in my cellar, give or take. My cellar ranges from the inexpensive daily drinkers to the ones for very special occasions.

I own a case of 1990 Chateau Talbot, which is a Grand Cru 4th growth bordeaux. 1990 was a stellar year. Robert Parker has said that Talbot should be reclassified as a 3rd growth now. I recently opened a bottle on my 40th birthday and it was exquisite. The cork came out absolutely beautifully, it decanted great, and it was so incredibly complex in the glass I was just amazed all during dinner. I paired it with nicely marbled rib eyes on the grill, sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli, and grilled ciabatta with garlic and olive oil. Mmmm!
2012-04-20082609-1.jpg

I also own a case of the 2005 Chateau Talbot. This was my wedding year, as well as one of the best bordeaux vintages in recent history, and I wanted a full case so that I could open as many bottles as I want to celebrate our anniversary over the years.

I am in the process of building a case of the 2008 Talbot for my 4 year old son and I will be building a case of the 2010 for my 2 year old son. When I say building, I mean I have to acquire some bottles from one source, some from another, and so on to reach a full case. I then ask for the wooden box from one of the sellers so I have the complete case.

I have a bottle of 2006 Ramey Calistoga Napa Valley Cab that I received as a gift. I'm looking forward to opening that one with steaks.

I have 4 bottles of Orin Swift The Prisoner, 2 bottles of Orin Swift Papillon, and 2 bottles of Orin Swift Abstract. I also have some Duckhorn Paraduxx and Decoy.

My favorite vineyard to visit was The Terraces. We had a private tour with the owners when we were out there and their cab is fantastic. They make their own balsamic vinegar and that was fun to try. I have a vertical of 2x 2005, 2x 2006, and 2x 2007 cabs.

For daily drinking I have been enjoying Bogle merlot and cab, Apothic Red, Menage' a Troix, and Napa Cellars cab. I just like trying different things and experimenting. There is a great, inexpensive Italian blend that I get at Trader Joe's called Tentatre Rosso. LOL It's super cheap and perfect with homemade pizza or pasta. :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
"Charles Krug" from PETER Mondavi ..... all wines under $30.00 ... Cab is big and lush, Merlot tastes like a $100.00 bottle .. You will not be disappointed!!

Hitchcock164

Horology Curious
10/6/12
While acreage of Malbec is declining in France, in Argentina the grape is surging and has become a "national variety" of sort that is uniquely identified with Argentine wine.
Any $15.00 bottle is a great wine & value.
[ame][/ame]

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
@CB - How did you like the Caymus? Have you tried the special selection?

Yeah, Argentina is pumping out the Malbec faster than you can shake a stick at it. And it is all good juice, too!

Has anyone been following the grape shortages in CA?

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Sam's Club and Costco both have this right now for the same price. Pretty good deal from what I've seen online. I'm tempted to pick up a bottle to lay down but I haven't even tried the regular Caymus yet... I'll have to do that before the end of the summer.

P3020.jpg

I just got back from 8 days in France. Last TH we rented a car and spent the entire day driving through Beaujolais. We stopped at medieval villages, saw castles everywhere, and for as far as the eye can see there are wine grapes. Practically every green patch has vines growing. There are large operations, small ones, and virtually every house has a few vines growing for their own enjoyment. Absolutely gorgeous scenery. The villages and castles are spectacular. I'd love to go back in November someday when they celebrate the nouveau. I guess the whole area is just packed with celebrations and festivals. Each village has their own little celebration with medieval themes and then there are larger, more region-centric fairs that are held to draw in more international tourists. Like going to a little county fair versus a state fair.

MMs

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/10
Caymus is a favorite in this household too, along with Rubicon

I just got a box in today from Arizona:

P1020718.jpg

oh baby yes.

mrfog

Renowned Member
28/10/12
Amarone is where it's at for me with reds. The way it is produced gives the most intense flavour possible in a red, so complex yet not too heavy. Tried a 2006 a couple of weeks ago, was 16% and went down like a dream. Got this coming for Christmas amonst others, can't wait.

MMs

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/10
380923_514307318588201_902689092_n.jpg

64691_510503332301933_14712553_n.jpg

This Box Set contains 2 750ml bottles each of the 2005 Caduceus Cellars Anubis, Nagual de la NAGA, and Primer Paso. (6 bottles total) This was the first year Anubis was produced.

I'm loving their wine. Check out this print I just ordered, lol:

Maynard_WineBath_48x20_Rev4.jpg

LOL, wonder how that's going to taste.