• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fine Wines

drivesick

3/7/09
Some of my favs from the wine cooler.
DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
LOL, JJ, do you mind if I read that more carefully later on? ;)

Seriously, like I said, just do some blind tastings... That's all it comes down to. While some of the world's best wines are clearly from the old land, it's just sad to say that awesome wines only come from Europe. And if you don't trust me, then trust the countless French and Italian critics who have said the exact same thing in countless tastings. In the end, the palate won't lie. Dude, I'd love to have you over for dinner sometime and go through a few glasses together and have this debate face to face with the relevant goods in front of us... :) We're probably still going to disagree, but at least we'd have a heck of a great time!

The problem of course is one of customer education too... Sadly most of the new world wine that makes it to the local shops in Europe is of the cheap variety. It's still rather good, but you're hardly going to be blown away.

Anyway, staying on topic and moving on to some of my favourite Italians... This could take forever, so I'm going to start with what pops to mind. Some of my faves...

Brunello di Montalcino

news-brunello_di_montalcino_2.jpg

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

Avignonesi-NobilediMontepulciano.jpg

Nero d’Avola

d_125.jpg

(I know... interesting choice...)

Barbaresco

408252327_bf170696ef.jpg

Barolo (Pio Cesare!)

piocesarebarolo.jpg

All of this stuff is making me thirsty and it's only early morning!!! :)

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Glad to see this thread has been cleared up and back on track - I've never understood the 'let me prove why your opinion is wrong' kind of approach.

Also, I've really enjoyed reading your posts JJ; you clearly have a love and knowledge of wine that far exceeds mine. I really would one day enjoy talking over good bottle or 3!

The thing with wine I've found, drinking it with many people over the years, is that regardless of how 'good' or 'expensive' a wine my be, the simple fact of the matter is that not everybody has the same palate. Some people have refined theirs over years of practice, whilst others simply drink what they like. The number of times I have loved a wine that a companion has hated, or vice versa, has proven this to be the case. If someone tells me to taste their absolute favourite wine, and I think it tastes foul, does that make me wrong? No, it just means it doesn't taste right to me. No amount of explanation as to the characteristics of the terroir and it's influence on the flavour is likely to convince me otherwise. Sure, it may be a question of education, or experience, or acquiring the taste for it, but it's just like saying 'green is better than purple' or 'Rolex is more beautiful than Panerai' - to each their own.

I have a love for drinking wine, but it's not one of my passions, so whilst I appreciate a really good example of a Chablis or a Barolo with a suitably matched meal, I also find pleasure in drinking new world wines (I agree with Guanaco and JJ here - for the money, Casillera Del Diablo make some exceptionally drinkable wines) and other cheaper ones too.

Plus, I think I drink too much wine to be spending $40 and above on every one - hell, watches cost me enough! :)

So I say to all, drink what you like, what you know, and what you can get. The drinking of wine is for pleasure, and we all find that in different things.

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
hehe whenever it is possible with maximum pleasure, Lob, and wine is on my credit card.
I agree with you, whatever you like and makes you happy is your own truth and you have the right to claim it for yourself. Quality isn't always a matter of opinion tho, that's what I was trying to explain. Let's say I would never import pizza from Russia, so to speak. It'd taste worse and prolly cost more :)

You said "I think I drink too much wine to be spending $40 and above on every one", and that's exactly the point. If you buy expensive wine make it at least awesome. Otherwise any good wine is ok, it's just nice to share a bottle (of whatever, even cheap rum) with a friend telling him about your life and trying to understand his, that's how it goes with good buddies. ;)

Joe

JellyJoe

28/9/09
EDITED -- not needed in this thread. Sorry, Joe, I couldn't figure out how to merge this with the other split thread. -hooligan

iphreak

Renowned Member
28/8/09
Nope - old vine Zin drinker right here!!!

For you Old Vine Red Zin drinkers, I have a hidden gem for you. Kunde Century Vine. Kunde is out Sanoma CA USA and all of their reds are great. The Century Vine is the best though.

Silver Oak is one of my favorite Cabs. Silver Oak (Napa) also makes a Merlot called Twomey. It is rockstar as well.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Thanks iphreak - I'll have to try that one!!!

THIS THREAD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Spboudart

26/9/08
A few pics of my modest cellar:

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

I have around 200 bottles that I've bought over the last 10 years.
I have a bit of everything but 70% of them are Bordeaux Grand Crus (1855's classification).

I like wines from Burgundy but my favorites are Bordeaux, more specially: Pauillac or Saint Julien.
And My favorite has to be: Chateau Gruaud Larose ....
or maybe: Chateau Lynch Bages...
or it might be: Chateau Beychevelle as well...
or ...

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
:anopsis:

Wow, now just have to find some goof food and spend a week-end at your place, to "thin out" your collection... :lol:

Is it a Chateau La Pompe I see in the corner ?:rofl:

LFH

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/09
:anopsis:

Wow, now just have to find some goof food and spend a week-end at your place, to "thin out" your collection... :lol:

Is it a Chateau La Pompe I see in the corner ?:rofl:
good night,
it is not of the chateau the pomp, it is drips,:lol2::lol2:
:ahw:

2Rol

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/4/10
@BOUDART: for the PAM...bof!
But your cellar is a very good place. I share your taste for the Bordeaux!

Autococker07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/10
I am almost as new to wine as to reps, I had tried about 4 total in my life before Xmas 08... my wife, who is eastern european likes wine and bought me a book to try and get me to like it too.... well that blew back in her face.... Interestingly enough, I still do not like whites, and I perfer an old world style stinky musty funky Bourgogne.... I had no idea what I was missing!!! My fave so far is a Maison Champy Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Peuillets.. fantastic in 03, and I hope my 05 will turn out as good... still a tad green...

And no, I never saw that damn "Pinot Noir is cool" movie... thats always the next question when i state my love for Burgundy LOL

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Pinot is not very accessible. It doesn't stand well on its own as does a jacked up zin or syrah, for example. I've often advised my friends to drink it with food, indoors where you can get the nose, too. It's wonderful, IMHO. It's far more satisfying that any other red that I have tasted in 20 years of dabbling in the hobby.

rogerwine

Renowned Member
10/7/06
Pinot is not very accessible. It doesn't stand well on its own as does a jacked up zin or syrah, for example. I've often advised my friends to drink it with food, indoors where you can get the nose, too. It's wonderful, IMHO. It's far more satisfying that any other red that I have tasted in 20 years of dabbling in the hobby.

Oh I disagree, completely. Pinot Noir when it's really good can stand on it's own any day of the week. There are so many good Pinots being produced from California's Santa Barbara County and Sonomas Russian River, Sonoma Coast, Alexander Valley, Mendocino and The Carneros of Napa and Sonoma Counties. Plus many many from the center of Oregon. The good ones can be consumed just like any good wine, by itself, or just with cheese and bread and be orgasmic.
Rogerwine