• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DOXA diver dials ... is it a virus or just an obsession ?

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I agree, great work.

ztyaCR.jpg
Haha, I have also received red paint for the bezel. Do you have any tips for removing the old paint and filling the new?

Reactions: sebman

dutchguy2

27/2/11
Very cool, you polished the bezel, changed the letter's color paint and changed the glass, right?

Do you have pictures of the red painting process? How did you remove the yellow paint and how did you apply the red paint?

What's the glass diameter?
No, I just bought a red dial Maranez which come with the red painted bezel changed the dial and that ist it.

Reactions: Manray

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I painted the bezel numbers on my Seestern. Just used Red Gloss Testors enamel paint. Painted in the numbers, allowed it to dry for 24 hours, then used an xacto knife to scrape away the excess and it came out just fine.

My first attempt was to paint in the numbers then wipe away the excess while wet, but the number impressions are too shallow and too much of the pain wiped away.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I painted the bezel numbers on my Seestern. Just used Red Gloss Testors enamel paint. Painted in the numbers, allowed it to dry for 24 hours, then used an xacto knife to scrape away the excess and it came out just fine.

My first attempt was to paint in the numbers then wipe away the excess while wet, but the number impressions are too shallow and too much of the pain wiped away.
How did you remove the paint from the impressions?

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Ok, great, the red Maranez Samui Vintage steel gets you there in one go

...the original red dial actually looks so very good in its own right

@manodeoro - is it wrong to think and ask about a red Doxa fantasy dial for a Maranez?

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
...like 7 minutes later and I am thinking red dial with white printed: Synchron Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter with the US divers Co. aqualung emblem would be pretty cool 1970's fantasy dial?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Ok, great, the red Maranez Samui Vintage steel gets you there in one go

...the original red dial actually looks so very good in its own right

@manodeoro - is it wrong to think and ask about a red Doxa fantasy dial for a Maranez?

WHY could it be wrong 😂 fantasy is fantasy and everything's allowed
If I thought it could be wrong I wouldn't have made the IrishStar 😉

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
@manodeoro - of course, how could I forget! the irish star that Maranz has copied

Think the white would stand out sufficiently on a red dial background (as on the gen black dial?)

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Today was my first attempt at removing the paint and painting the bezel. Removing the paint was a no-go. I tried acetone and I tried a sharp pin, but neither got the job done. So, I tried just painting over. It kind of worked, but not perfectly. I have another coat on right now. I'll see how it goes over night

Reactions: shel504

dutchguy2

27/2/11
Today was my first attempt at removing the paint and painting the bezel. Removing the paint was a no-go. I tried acetone and I tried a sharp pin, but neither got the job done. So, I tried just painting over. It kind of worked, but not perfectly. I have another coat on right now. I'll see how it goes over night
Pics or it did not happen!

Reactions: Manray

Fbianchi

Looking Around
18/9/22
Hi folks ... it's been almost 4 months since I haven't posted here ...

I've had to put dialmaking and watchmaking aside and stay off from the forums for a while to take care of 2 old guys I love ... really close family ...
One is almost OK now, though his brain is still so so ...
The other one leaved our good hearth last week ... not in a starship I mean, he died after hard weeks of intensive care at the hospital ...
Sometimes life is shitty and old age is not a bed of roses ...

Now I start again working on watches and it proves to be helpful to avoid thinking about bad things ... so let's put sadness aside ... I'm happy to be back here ...
So during the past week I 've been making some Doxa dials ... precision work was helpfull to sothe the mind ...

Aqualungs ... one standard early Doxa and two from the Synchron era ...

Blacklungs too ... not that much cause they require specific dial plates (I'm waiting for some more) ...

Divingstars ... All Synchron era ... two standards and one "Poseidon" with that nice logo ...

And two Sharkhunters ... those are not as popular than the others but they are really nice too ...

I would like to purchase an orange Doxa black lung dial for my Seestern watch. Can you send me details on how to order? Thank you.

dutchguy2

27/2/11
Yes but…. I changed that today.

The black lung should be in a small (les thick) case with domed crystal where the Divingstar should be in a fat case with flat crystal.

Removed the lume pips in the bezel to be replaced with black paint. Also changed the Seestern bracelet with a Maranez one.

I can confirm that Seestern and Maranez parts are NOT interchangable.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Yes but…. I changed that today.

The black lung should be in a small (les thick) case with domed crystal where the Divingstar should be in a fat case with flat crystal.

Removed the lume pips in the bezel to be replaced with black paint. Also changed the Seestern bracelet with a Maranez one.

I can confirm that Seestern and Maranez parts are NOT interchangable.

Will you paint the poseidon bezel?