• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BTF platinum Daytona

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Different lightings - are the subdials off or is this definitely BTFs latest?

zRSibi.jpg

zRSaTX.jpg

Last edited:

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
FWIW, Hont told me that QF dials for the platonas are better than BTF. Now that could just mean that Hont has a crap load of QFs in stock and needs to get rid of them for all I know.
Doesn’t have sunburst on subdials.

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
He's been pushing QF lately. Today I asked about the best stock meteorite Daytona and he sent me someone's QC pics for a QF. Price wasn't competitive either.

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
He's been pushing QF lately. Today I asked about the best stock meteorite Daytona and he sent me someone's QC pics for a QF. Price wasn't competitive either.
Who else even has a meteorite Daytona? I’ve never seen lower prices for any other TD (not including specials/discounts). I’m not advocating for Hont, but that’s been my experience.

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
From a very brief search, looks like QF and “Noob” are the only “top” factories (if you can consider them that…QF only because they are using the clone movement and Noob…well, no one knows if it’s the real Noob).

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Based on this post, I get the sense that the BTF v2 is the best version right now. Any thoughts on the newly released QF v2 that was just released? I'd love input from some of the eagle-eyed experts.

It’s a tough call, but I think BTF is better mostly because they got the dial less obviously wrong. The QF v2 gets the following things wrong / right vs BTF.
  1. QF has no subdial sunburst pattern. BTF gets this right. This is a big and obvious error in my opinion.
  2. Screw down caseback internal markings are for 750 gold not 950 platinum. (BTF is marked as Stainless Steel which is also wrong but in a different way)
  3. Caseback hallmarks show a 750 balance hallmark which is wrong. (BTF also gets this wrong).
  4. QF v2 clasp hallmarks are correct. BTF gets this wrong and has marks for Au750 (although this might have been corrected).
  5. QF pics only show one side of the case engraving between the lugs, so it’s unclear if they got the side that BTF messed up correct or now. BTF engraving between the lugs reads STAINLESS STEEL which is obviously incorrect. (Apparently this has now been corrected).
  6. QF is more expensive than BTF.

Last edited:

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
I don't understand why everyone is hung up on hallmarks - take the watch off, the weight will give it away before anyone gets close to the hallmarks. BTF's errors are mainly engraving errors that are so minor given the weight being a giveaway.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
I don't understand why everyone is hung up on hallmarks - take the watch off, the weight will give it away before anyone gets close to the hallmarks. BTF's errors are mainly engraving errors that are so minor given the weight being a giveaway.

Completely agree with this. Aside from the issue with the wrong hands being used on the first iteration of the none baguette hour marker version (v1), I think BTF nailed this release. I've had mine for a few months now and I absolutely love it. In hand the watch feels quality and the dial is the best I have seen of any rep of this reference (ARF a close second).

The fact is that if anyone was ever close enough to inspect the hallmarks of your watch they would likely be holding in, in that case the weight would have already given it away. For me BTF got the most important parts of the rep right and even if Clean where to release a version of similar quality with the correct hallmarks, it wouldn't be enough for me to get the Clean.

Last edited:

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Completely agree with this. Aside from the issue with the wrong hands being used on the first iteration of the none baguette hour marker version (v1), I think BTF nailed this release. I've had mine for a few months now and I absolutely love it. In hand the watch feels quality and the dial is the best I have seen of any rep of this reference (ARF a close second).

The fact is that if anyone was ever close enough to inspect the hallmarks of your watch they would likely be holding in, in that case the weight would have already given it away. For me BTF got the most important parts of the rep right and even if Clean where to release a version of similar quality with the correct hallmarks, it wouldn't be enough for me to get the Clean.
Correct answer!

Reactions: BlackJaguar

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
That's a valid point about the hallmarks and it would not be a deal breaker for me. However for some it is and maybe BTF will correct it. Who knows?

But since the sun burst on the sub dials was corrected (which was the main deal breaker for many), BTF is the better choice for now. We all have different tolerances. It's about what defects you're willing to accept.