• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BBR factory RM 055

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Yea, I know nothing about movements or the terminology.

I know they use exotic materials but hearing from RM collectors the reason they are expensive is marketing.

I was just predicting that since rm055 is one of the most popular one I’d think they’ll make a super clone of this model first before the other models.
Gen also uses a modified/skeletonized Vaucher movement. They are the movement supplier together with APPR who supplies the tourbies :)

asuwere

2/6/19
What the…. You’d think RM does everything in-house for the crap pricing they charge

The reason why you, me, and everyone else on here is aware of RM in the first place is because they spend heavily on marketing. That cost has to be recovered through sales. Since volume is limited that means individual sales prices will be high. That's just how the math works out.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Another big part of RM's price strategy is to defray the cost of developing new materials and methods for AP R&P. They spend big to develop new materials and the methods to work with them, and sell the watches at a premium to recoup that spending, then AP gets the material to use while RM moves on to something else.

Reactions: Stuvetjee

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Another big part of RM's price strategy is to defray the cost of developing new materials and methods for AP R&P. They spend big to develop new materials and the methods to work with them, and sell the watches at a premium to recoup that spending, then AP gets the material to use while RM moves on to something else.
AP as in AUdemars piguet?
I didn’t know they are both intertwined.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
@Cheesegrater The company Renaud et Papi used to be independent watchmakers specializing in cutting-edge stuff, and were part of the startup funders for Richard Mille through Dominic Guenet, Richard Mille's business partner. Audemars Piguet soon afterwards bought R&P, renaming it AP R&P, but the relationship to RM remained. Basically what happens now is that RM has carte blanche to make watches out of whatever crazy materials they want as long as AP gets first dibs on whatever materials or tech they develop. It's why AP has all those coloured ceramics first and why they started using carbon before a lot of other "mainstream" watchmakers. RM can afford to blow stupid money on materials and methods development because they sell their watches for stupid money, and the materials they develop trickle down to AP first.

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21
how's everyones experience with the BBR V2 so far?

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Does the rm055 need any kind of mod to make it gen like and function reliably?

So far reliable and keeping great time. Just as gen, i barely feel it on the wrist. The only mod i would personally do perhaps in the future is a small one. Actually try to get the crown fully against the case, since its slightly sticking out more than gen (on all)

but again that is a very slight slight mod. Some want to do AR on the crystal, but i think it's fine as you are not gonna fool anyone anyway with the movement. @SMP_lover is currently working on Velcro straps and elastic straps, so that might be a nice upgrade too!

Btw, put it on multiple scales all around the same grams:

zxOtjI.jpg

carter1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/6/22
Well, mine is on its way back to China for repairs/replacement. Glad other people are having a better experience.

I've read some theories that shipping it while wound/running could increase risk of DOA so will be asking my TD to send the replacement back unwound... Assuming it doesn't get lost and I'm not impacted by COVID 🤞

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
You have a photo taken from the side please? How is the case shape like compared to 1st Bbr rm55 white?

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
UPDATE 2:

- Watch still runs nicely. No stutter.
- Fully wound it for sake of testing, and got around 35-38hours of PR
- There is no stop on winding. As this was obviously a Miyota based rotor movement. Which means it cannot be overwound.

After some research, i believe they used and altered the 6T28. Since the mainspring is not jeweled on top miyota, same as on the BBR.
Also the balancewheel position together with escapement resembles a bit of the 6T28. Also its a small automatic movement which is needed for this particular rep.

product_IizkugVhJn2QjbZ4E6_s1.png

Last edited:

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21
Finally received my bbr v2 bubba Watson today.

After having months of daily wrist time with the ZF Version , I can say quality wise they are similar. The ZF clasp has a better click though, this one feels more loose. The ZF felt a bit more comfortable to wear also. The BBR clasp scrapes the wrist. The brushing on the clasp on the ZF is more Gen like , the BBR version is slightly more polished. Overall very very similar in terms of quality. IMO.

The crystal i would say is the same. The bbr v2 has the same blue reflective coating. I do not think it’s necessary to change it.

The visible balance wheel puts the bbr v2 on another level though. Movement is working perfectly so far lol. I am happy with it. Insane value for the money Vs Gen. def does the job!!

Last edited:

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh

After having months of daily wrist time with the ZF Version , I can say quality wise they are similar. The ZF clasp has a better click though, this one feels more loose. The ZF felt a bit more comfortable to wear also. The BBR clasp scrapes the wrist. The brushing on the clasp on the ZF is more Gen like , the BBR version is slightly more polished. Overall very very similar in terms of quality. IMO.

The crystal i would say is the same. The bbr v2 has the same blue reflective coating. I do not think it’s necessary to change it.

The visible balance wheel puts the bbr v2 on another level though. Movement is working perfectly so far lol. I am happy with it. Insane value for the money Vs Gen. def does the job!!

What's the visual differences with Gen?

Yea this is something I'd buy as rep since I'll never spend that kind of stupid money on a gen.

It looks good on you, congrats =)

Reactions: Prizon

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
@Stuvetjee makes a lot of sense since the non open-heart version of that (6T15, i think?) is in the ZF NTPT 55 models and the ZF 35v4! Looks like the architecture is pretty much spot on with just a couple adjustments to the wheel placement, too.

Reactions: Stuvetjee

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
@Stuvetjee makes a lot of sense since the non open-heart version of that (6T15, i think?) is in the ZF NTPT 55 models and the ZF 35v4! Looks like the architecture is pretty much spot on with just a couple adjustments to the wheel placement, too.
i really want to understand what you are talking about.

Please explain to me?

asuwere

2/6/19

I agree with the crystal. I have the ZF too and initially the ZF crystal looked way better. The BBR was almost hazy in comparison but looked OK before a side by side comparison. I opened them both up wanting to swap crystals but that didn't work out. When putting the BBR back together I noticed I had a bit of trouble cleaning the inside of the BBR crystal. But I eventually got is nice and clean. When putting it up side by side with my ZF now I can't tell the difference anymore. I think there was some very fine layer of oil or grease on the inside. Maybe off gassing from the glue they used to secure the crystal to the case or from some of the lubricants.

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Exactly mate. and we all know BBR is known for movement modification magic

Reactions: GiantSquid