• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
So guys, why would one go for the VR over the ARF? If you change the dw on the arf, which should be a straight swap with gen, then you have a very nice insert and good lugs and crystal,

The problem with the vr should be the lugs, and the very badly sanded top rehaut finish.

what to do???

Crown position is wrong on the ARF, but correct on the VRF. Everyone has their own hangups. To me, badly finished lugs could look like a gen that has been polished. But no gen would ever have the wrong crown position, so that makes the ARF a non-starter.

Reactions: Thrasher

mari115

Respected Member
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Crown position is wrong on the ARF, but correct on the VRF. Everyone has their own hangups. To me, badly finished lugs could look like a gen that has been polished. But no gen would ever have the wrong crown position, so that makes the ARF a non-starter.

i see, where were these pics that show the incorrect crown position? i'm really curious about that, i wonder how it's possible, since they mount the same movement.

Still, VR has Bigger and fatter lugs, so you can't enlarge lugs by polishing, they would be smaller at most. I wonder if it would be possible to sand them down to gen size

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
You’re confusing arf with noob mate. For sure.

Reactions: KJ2020

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
that's what i was thinking about, noob is the one that has the wrong crown position, because of the different movement inside, how can 2 watches with the same movement have different stem height?

I think the same, but also: where he saw it when in photo they have the crown in the same position...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This may be what he was thinking about. I posted this pic in response to interest in whether or not the A3186 movement would fit in a Noob 116710/126710 case.

Hy2iQ.jpg

Reactions: Thrasher

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
I think the same, but also: where he saw it when in photo they have the crown in the same position...

ginopino Puretime has the same profile photo for both ARF and VRF. Both are of the ARF, and the crown position is wrong. It is too low in the case, just like the ARF V1 116610 SH3135 was. The opening at the top of the CGs is almost the same size as the opening at the bottom, because the crown is close to the center. On the gen and VRF, the bottom opening is very close together while the top is very open, fitting evenly around the crown well above the center line. This is a design feature that makes the GMT similar to the old school GMTs, all of which had a very high crown position (except the 16760 "fat lady."). Check out the VRF video on Trusty. Crown position is correct. For sure.

mari115 most movement stems are a little flexible, so if crown position is off by a small amount the movement will still fit properly. That's why the SH3135 fits in both the current ARF 116610 V2 case (correct crown position) and the old V1 (low crown position, just like the new ARF GMT).

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Watch the video on Puretime. Crown position is as per gen on the ARF.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Watch the video on Puretime. Crown position is as per gen on the ARF.

I'm pretty sure it's not, which is why the ARF CGs are shaped like the Noob ones and the VRF are shaped like gen. But I guess we can wait until some people get these shipped and compare head to head (literally!) Maybe occb2 will be so kind as to include a comparison shot in his review of both.

Sorry guys, I only just realized that Angus is using the Noob pic for ARF and VRF. So until we get pics from some other seller showing the actual side-on angle like TS and Trusty have shown for the VRF, I'll hope bill33 is right and ARF got crown position correct on the first try this time, unlike with the sub!

Last edited:

mari115

Respected Member
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I'm pretty sure it's not, which is why the ARF CGs are shaped like the Noob ones and the VRF are shaped like gen. But I guess we can wait until some people get these shipped and compare head to head (literally!) Maybe occb2 will be so kind as to include a comparison shot in his review of both.

Sorry guys, I only just realized that Angus is using the Noob pic for ARF and VRF. So until we get pics from some other seller showing the actual side-on angle like TS and Trusty have shown for the VRF, I'll hope bill33 is right and ARF got crown position correct on the first try this time, unlike with the sub!

I mean, how can you be so certain about that? Even if cgs were different, it doesn’t mean that the height would be different, also, if you check puretime they uploaded a nice video, and CGs and crown seem correct to me, I might be wrong but we should wait for some “real” pics

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
I mean, how can you be so certain about that? Even if cgs were different, it doesn’t mean that the height would be different, also, if you check puretime they uploaded a nice video, and CGs and crown seem correct to me, I might be wrong but we should wait for some “real” pics

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I agree, we need to wait for real pics but it looks promising in the video you pointed out. But the profile shot Angus has up for the ARF just looks like it's too low, and since it's actually a photo of the Noob CHS case, it IS too low... it's just that it's not really a photo of the ARF watch. I don't know why puretime uses stock photos from the wrong watch. I wish they'd take some actual pics.

NoNations

Getting To Know The Place
14/9/18
I just placed an order through Puretime for the ARF GMT... I will change the date disc. From my little knowledge a 3135 date disc will not fit this movement?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
I just placed an order through Puretime for the ARF GMT... I will change the date disc. From my little knowledge a 3135 date disc will not fit this movement?

It should fit but if it’s like the previous SH movements you might have to sand it down a bit to get it fit. However, no one knows this yet :)

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
3185/86 is a different date plate than the 3135.

Reactions: mega12

Tobel

Respected Member
6/7/17
3185/86 is a different date plate than the 3135.

Oh is it? I naively thought that the 3185/86 were based on 3135s and therefore that the Datewheels would be the same. So which reference would the correct datewheel have? Thanks

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Oh is it? I naively thought that the 3185/86 were based on 3135s and therefore that the Datewheels would be the same. So which reference would the correct datewheel have? Thanks

different date plate, but same date disc.

mari115

Respected Member
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Oh right I didn't read properly ;) Thanks!

yep, so you should be able to fit a 3135 DW on it (finger crossed)

Hopefully if it's the case, then you could get an ARF GMT, mount the gen dw on it, and then you have a killer gmt, maybe change crystal, depends on how good arf's is