• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
occb2 Im hoping to get the ARF one. Im getting old so bolder fonts would work for me and my eyes :) But without kidding im guessing the SH would be better than the SA. Looking very much forward for your review and will base my purchase and decision on that.

Great but I’m not with your estimation.
The VR3135 is a great movement. And most likely it will be base for the 3186. I would consider buying ARF because pics look closer to my gen, but definitely I would replace movement by VR one

Reactions: ssouthall6

GrizzlyBear

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
Certified
16/3/18
Take away the insert, I am struggling to see how the ARF comes up above the VRF

VRF has better AR on the crystal, better dial print, better movement, better date. Put the ARF or Gen Insert on the VR, and I would hedge a bet most people would say the VR is a better watch....

shortlegs

31/5/19

VRF has better AR on the crystal, better dial print, better movement, better date. Put the ARF or Gen Insert on the VR, and I would hedge a bet most people would say the VR is a better watch....

The VRF sub bezel and lugs are not standard gen sizes and hence don't fit gen or other manufacturer parts. Not sure if the GMT is the same, but if it is, then that's one big reason to buy the ARF instead.

Reactions: jcher

Tobel

Respected Member
6/7/17

All we've seen so far are pictures on TD's sites, no one has received any of them so any qualitative statement, in particular about the new movements that we have no way of know how reliable they are, seem to me very premature. You can guess or make hypothesis but that's all it is. Even the pictures could be prototypes for all we know

Reactions: occb2

GrizzlyBear

Banned
Certified
16/3/18
All we've seen so far are pictures on TD's sites, no one has received any of them so any qualitative statement, in particular about the new movements that we have no way of know how reliable they are, seem to me very premature. You can guess or make hypothesis but that's all it is. Even the pictures could be prototypes for all we know

I already have my QC pictures and video of the VRF.

Tobel

Respected Member
6/7/17
I already have my QC pictures and video of the VRF.

How does that change what I said? Do you have both watches in hand? Were you able to compare the quality of the respective movements?

I'm happy that you like your VRF QC pics, and maybe it is a better watch, but it's just too soon to tell for sure

How's the hole around the pinion BTW?

Reactions: occb2

GrizzlyBear

Banned
Certified
16/3/18
How does that change what I said? Do you have both watches in hand? Were you able to compare the quality of the respective movements?

I'm happy that you like your VRF QC pics, and maybe it is a better watch, but it's just too soon to tell for sure

How's the hole around the pinion BTW?

Very similar to that found on the ZF sub. I personally preferred the print on the dial, and the markers on the VRF so it was a sacrifice. I will have the watch in hand next week.

Tobel

Respected Member
6/7/17
Very similar to that found on the ZF sub. I personally preferred the print on the dial, and the markers on the VRF so it was a sacrifice. I will have the watch in hand next week.

We all have our little trade offs to make ;) looking forward to your real life pics!

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
People seem to have a massive hard on for ARF, even if VRF has a better movement, dial, datewheel, crystal etc. There won’t be a clear winner in these threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big problem for VRF is the case. Definitely too fat on lugs. The insert is not a big issue: go gen with the assembly with both ARF and VRF

Reactions: XLR8R

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
On what basis are we jumping to the conclusion that VRF has better dial?

In terms of dial "quality" I think we'd need a post like the one I did for the noob vs. ARF white daytona dial comparison.

In terms of dial accuracy, based on the pure-time picture comparison of the two watches posted in this thread, the ARF has more accurate print for the coronet and ROLEX logo than VRF, and I'm typing this comment with a gen BLNR on the wrist.

Datewheel font, what I see is that the VRF is a tad bit thin, the ARF is a pile of shit, or if I put it artistically, "handwerkskunst" (I apologize if there are any lovers for Lange ;)).

Last edited:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
We are all talking out of our butts. LOL. We do not have them in hand yet. We have pics on a website. We do not know if VRF is doing what they did with the sub. The case would be the wrong size then IF they did and so would the bracelet. Never the less, we do not have it in hand to see yet. It is all speculation. From the pic of the VRF I saw the rehaut is great but the top part which isn't finished. It looks like it is pitted where the ARF looks normal. Again these are pictures. Maybe early prototypes. Lets see what we get in hand. Then we can do a real comparison with measurements and weights. I love the font comments. Ive seen real GMTII where the II in the gmt on the dial is nearly not visible as II I think the give away again will be the markers. They will be superlum and white/blue when the real Chronolight is slightly off white and blue when glowing.

Crystal hight. That is really a non issue. If it is really off, and I dont think it is, I will buy real rolex 3186 hour, min, GMT and cannon pinions and real hands and them press a real crystal. I dont think we need to worry about it. Again it is just a picture.

I told the TD that I didnt even want QC pics. Just to send me on VRF and one ARF. I think a lot of QC pics are a waist of time. We do understand that we are paying under $500 for a replica of a watch that is over $10,000 and is discontinued? Right?

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
We are all talking out of our butts. LOL...

I told the TD that I didnt even want QC pics. Just to send me on VRF and one ARF. I think a lot of QC pics are a waist of time. We do understand that we are paying under $500 for a replica of a watch that is over $10,000 and is discontinued? Right?
I like your attitude. Looking forward to your review

JTSWE

19/2/17
i wounder if they will have the same function as the real 3186, change date on both ways, becouse it was a bitch to switch date on the old CHS.. took forever and i broke like 3-4 times, i have been owing around 4 of them, last one noob v9 116710ln,

Reactions: Dissemination

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Hopefully someone will do a movement tear down eventually and see if it’s actually a proper clone with parts interchangeable with gen 3186 gmt parts. it’d be disappointing to find out it’s some corner cutting gmt function that’s irreparable if it fails

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Last edited:
Reactions: Interesting

Interesting

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
19/8/19
Got to ask. Is the video of the lastest 3186 clone on an ARF?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Got to ask. Is the video of the lastest 3186 clone on an ARF?

Not certain but I believe it's a VRF. It was out before ARF released although that's not necessarily proof.

BTW I won't be slamming my hour hand around like that. We have no idea how strong the jumping hour spring is in these A3186 movements. Even the gen 3186 movements have jumping hour springs prone to easy breaking.

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/...-3185-vs-3186/

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Never held a gen gmt but should you be able to set the date backwards? I know all 28xx variations only set the date forward. Im guessing its because you can travel backwards through timezones? I think the abuse in that video would of broken most chs watches in the past so thats a good sign :)