• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

stufuse

Respected Member
22/10/17
UK
So do we have a consensuses yet which would be the one to go for OTB?

That’s all subjective, for me it’s ARF, buy and wear it

Edit::

Sorry for double post Tapatalk issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

greekgod

Renowned Member
3/5/11
That’s all subjective, for me it’s ARF, buy and wear it

Edit::

Sorry for double post Tapatalk issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries thanks. I am trying to find out the real pros and cons of the two. Would this thread be the best thread to research? I cant seem to find any more info.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
There is a good comparison by @occb2

And IMO it’s not really subjective because VRF bezel insert is way off. Also ARF bracelet is better in terms of finish etc.
Depending on what kind of parts you would like to change, it’s possible. Eg you can swap bracelets between both. You can also swap movements, dial or hands... but that’s really subjective IMO.

VR3185 movement is different to SH3186
Look on the web with regards to differences.
I prefer 3185 but that’s also subjective :)

But as your question was with regards to OOB it’s clear ARF unless someone can state something I missed

Reactions: BlackJaguar

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Does one of these movements operate like Rolex with the dat jumping feature - where it can go forward or backwards?

And the info in the threads is a little conflicting. Are the movements volatile or are they pretty stable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greekgod

Renowned Member
3/5/11
There is a good comparison by @occb2

And IMO it’s not really subjective because VRF bezel insert is way off. Also ARF bracelet is better in terms of finish etc.
Depending on what kind of parts you would like to change, it’s possible. Eg you can swap bracelets between both. You can also swap movements, dial or hands... but that’s really subjective IMO.

VR3185 movement is different to SH3186
Look on the web with regards to differences.
I prefer 3185 but that’s also subjective :)

But as your question was with regards to OOB it’s clear ARF unless someone can state something I missed

Thanks that helps... I was looking to get best of both worlds.. get VRF case and dial and the rest ARF lol. I myself and leaning towards ARF the bezel insert and printing is great.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
occb2 mentioned that the ARF jumping hour click spring was weak, and in fact the gen 3186 is a weaker design than the 3185.

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/...-3185-vs-3186/

From what I have read and if I were building one between the two and no gen parts, I would use

VRF
Case
Movement
Bezel
Dial (if ARF hands lume matches OK)

ARF
Dial (if VRF dial lume doesn't match ARF hands)
Hands
Crystal
Insert
Bracelet
Clasp

Datewheel - toss up, pick the better one.

I know there would be some tweaking/modding needed like the ARF insert would have to be taped on, and the VRF crystal retaining ring would need to be changed, but these are minor issues IMO.

Last edited:

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
occb2 mentioned that the ARF jumping hour click spring was weak, and in fact the gen 3186 is a weaker design than the 3185.

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/...-3185-vs-3186/

From what I have read and if I were building one between the two and no gen parts, I would use

VRF
Case
Movement
Bezel
Dial (if ARF hands lume matches OK)

ARF
Dial (if VRF dial lume doesn't match ARF hands)
Hands
Crystal
Insert
Bracelet
Clasp

Datewheel - toss up, pick the better one.

I know there would be some tweaking/modding needed like the ARF insert would have to be taped on, and the VRF crystal retaining ring would need to be changed, but these are minor issues IMO.

If I wouldn’t replace most of the above mentioned parts by gen, then I would do exactly the same hybrid.

Apart from bezel assembly (not insert):
My VRF had a very bad „click and turn“ and I wouldn’t have kept this. But maybe this was just an individual issue on this specific watch, I don’t know.

Nonetheless, my build will contain only VR case and movement. Rest will be most likely gen.

Reactions: KJ2020

greekgod

Renowned Member
3/5/11
Great info here guys thanks. So is the VFR movement better then? mega12 I thought you said AFR movement was more stable?

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Any more members getting their ARF? Placed order for mine a month and a half ago

Gusljung

Getting To Know The Place
26/12/18
I did. I placed mine 2-3 weeks ago and it seems as if we won’t be getting it till after New Years. I’ve flagged the datewheel having issues with the 20s numbers.

Cranberry2

Getting To Know The Place
31/3/19
tomorrow its one month left when I order the arf gmt and waiting for the qc shot
maybe getting today or tomorrow the qc...when they are right what I got told.

Reactions: KJ2020

wNe

O.G.
27/11/11
Where did you guys order?
Because the info from ARF is „in stock“

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Great info here guys thanks. So is the VFR movement better then? mega12 I thought you said AFR movement was more stable?

No, never mentioned that the ARF is better.

I personally prefer VRF. Why?
Because it’s a copy of 3185 where the construction of jumping hour hand is more stable than for 3186. this is not only in rep world rather than in gen world the case.

Nonetheless, 3185 has wobbling hands while setting the time with hour hand. but that’s ok for me, because I prefer more safe construction than risking something. However, and that’s important, this doesn’t mean that ARF is not stable. There is not enough evidence and testing yet to judge one or the other.

However, I’m very sensitive if it comes to movements and I would always prefer bit more reliability, even if it’s just very little difference. For instance, I did always use ICHS movements on my GMT builds before, because they are more stable. And don’t forget, the major job of a watch is displaying the time ;)

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Where did you guys order?
Because the info from ARF is „in stock“

One more point for: ARF

They don’t look only more gen like OOB,
they do also use a similar distribution system like R factory does. They are available, but they don’t sell or ship them to limit the market artificially. Haha lol

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
One more point for: ARF

They don’t look only more gen like OOB,
they do also use a similar distribution system like R factory does. They are available, but they don’t sell or ship them to limit the market artificially. Haha lol

Lol, nice

Reactions: mega12

Daher

3/7/19
How is the insert on the ARF is it gen like or should you go gen for this?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
How is the insert on the ARF is it gen like or should you go gen for this?

ARF insert is great for a rep insert. Only negative is the engravings are deeper than gen, and we can't know how long the "platinum" color will last in them. Most rep inserts will ultimately need some kind of paint or coating mod on the markers. Gen prices on inserts are going up and availability going down due to these reps.

Reactions: mega12