• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF SD43 904L 126600 review (many pics)

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
I’m not a movt expert, but I’d think the 2836 versions from BP and VRF would have the correct crown position if it were a drop in? But they don’t. The 2824 looks to me to have the same crown height as the gen. I mean the factories like to keep things simple....

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
You are right. Gen has got the same stem height as 2824.
Factories using 2836 for the SD43 have got a dimension flaw because of the 0.5mm difference. So they may position the rehaut a bit higher and use a crystal which is 0.5mm flatter to get a proper proportion.

Another possibility is to set the stem bore 0.5mm deeper in the housing and produce wrong CG shave and crown position.

Reactions: m5smg2

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
You are right. Gen has got the same stem height as 2824.
Factories using 2836 for the SD43 have got a dimension flaw because of the 0.5mm difference. So they may position the rehaut a bit higher and use a crystal which is 0.5mm flatter to get a proper proportion.

Another possibility is to set the stem bore 0.5mm deeper in the housing and produce wrong CG shave and crown position.

Agreed. I would think it makes more sense to just install a Swiss ETA 2824. Would that be a plug n play with the date wheel?

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Agreed. I would think it makes more sense to just install a Swiss ETA 2824. Would that be a plug n play with the date wheel?

Not so Plug and play... the datewheel has a DWO that you need to remove and apply to the ETA movement you want install. You can't swap the complete datewheel with the DWO glued because the DWO is over some parts you need to handle to disengage and engage the datewheel from the movement.
Is a little tricky because you have to glue it in the correct position, make some try to catch a good position... in the end is doable but need some skills, patience and time.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Although there is a DWO glued over the stock wheel you can disassemble and reassemble it again. I did this on a 2824 some times. But it is a mess to do this work. There is a trick disengaging the DW from the side of the movement.

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Thanks Smpfan ginopino for this info. The “V2” looks to have an updated DW with thinner font. If it’s not an overlay is it easier for a watch smith to transfer to an ETA 2824?

Reactions: WatchaholicMallorca

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
2400d25fd35eb3efaa03fb578668d639.jpg

Reactions: TimeValue

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
It is always an overlay. Due to the different diameter of eta and Rolex datewheels you only can solve this problem with an overlay.
Or they would have to manufacture a custom datewheel which was far to complicated and expensive.

Reactions: ginopino

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
It is always an overlay. Due to the different diameter of eta and Rolex datewheels you only can solve this problem with an overlay.
Or they would have to manufacture a custom datewheel which was far to complicated and expensive.

exactly... is always a datewheel.
In my opinion, V1 or V2 is not too important: both DWO are not so good in my eyes, better swap anyway with a better version.

ahb900

Looking Around
26/5/17
I was just asking about these. Do you have a link to that exact one by anychance?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Smpfan ginopino muiramas Tobel

​​​​​​​Thanks for the mention T.
I have an ARF Seadweller 43, and replaced the A2824 with an ETA2836. I have also used a modern Rolex font DWO as you guys would have guessed. Also of course, I have addressed and resolved the issue of the two different movement thickness when assembling it. The hands are exactly the same size, so no issue there.

The watch is very quiet and runs smooth, and most importantly, the date change is instantaneous as per how Rolex watches should be. The DWO alignment and installation was very tricky, and required quite a far bit of patience, as well as some shaving of the DWO thickness to prevent the datewheel from being stuck in between changes. So yes it can be done, and it can be done well. It was a mod I am very happy with. :)

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Smpfan ginopino muiramas Tobel

​​​​​​​Thanks for the mention T.
I have an ARF Seadweller 43, and replaced the A2824 with an ETA2836. I have also used a modern Rolex font DWO as you guys would have guessed. Also of course, I have addressed and resolved the issue of the two different movement thickness when assembling it. The hands are exactly the same size, so no issue there.

The watch is very quiet and runs smooth, and most importantly, the date change is instantaneous as per how Rolex watches should be. The DWO alignment and installation was very tricky, and required quite a far bit of patience, as well as some shaving of the DWO thickness to prevent the datewheel from being stuck in between changes. So yes it can be done, and it can be done well. It was a mod I am very happy with. :)

hi mate! Can you share some info and experience? what about the crown position, how you addressed the problem of the tickness?

thanks!

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Looks very good... can you tell us more about the spacer? I would like to do the same if possible :) :) :)

The 2836 is ticker than the 2824, why a spacer? :) Really curious because with a 2836 this is PERFECT ! :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Looks very good... can you tell us more about the spacer? I would like to do the same if possible :) :) :)

The 2836 is ticker than the 2824, why a spacer? :) Really curious because with a 2836 this is PERFECT ! :)

My spacer is precision machined and I do it for members who send their watches in for the same mod. ;)
The exact difference in stem height between the 2836 and 2824 is 0.46mm and this can actually be compensated by the tube diameter if you decide not to use a spacer.
With the new Rolex cal. 3235 time setting direction being the same as ETA movements, this is indeed perfect. The A2824 really does not cut it for me even if the crown position is slightly more accurate.
At the end of the day we are talking about less than 0.5mm. It won’t be noticeable visually and not difficult to compensate for. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigred7078

4/12/16
legend great work! I'm interested to learn what process you used to make the bezel teeth less sharp. It looks good!