• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Royal Oak 15400 Gen vs. Rep (BP) comparison

Droplonder

Known Member
26/7/14
Anyway it's an alltime classic watch – gen or rep. And with some proper selection as Daywatch told a real fine timepiece! I've ordered mine a week ago or so and are quite happy with the QC oics I received in the meantime. BTW: great side by side review!

Trica

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/12
The Myota version is considered the best (distinguishable by 3 screws in the center of the rotor, the swiss has one, and additional deco on the movement itself, the rotor is the same on both). The Myota also has a "better" logo - unfortunately in 2/3 (estimate) it´s wrongly glued on the dial or the parallel sticks at 12 - are not parallel. IF You get a well aligned one You have a slightly better rep BUT it needs luck and patience and a good TD to get one in the right conditions. Last time I checked some months ago the Myota was $65 more than the BP version with swiss ETA (that probably is Asian). As far as my knowledge the alignment issues where never so frequent with the BP-versions. Main priority imo would be to get the thinnest version (!) available and if everything is well aligned.

Hi, when you say the best would be to get the thinnest version available, you free to the New Myota or a new version?

Could you post a link where I can find the new or best version you recommend?

Thank you

Apcheng

17/8/14
Apart from the AP logo and the parallel bars that could be checked through QC could anyone confirm the only telling flaw is from the case back?

Also could anyone give a review for the leather straps for the new 15400 Miyota versions?

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Apart from the AP logo and the parallel bars that could be checked through QC could anyone confirm the only telling flaw is from the case back?

Also could anyone give a review for the leather straps for the new 15400 Miyota versions?
The biggest tell is the open caseback and the crystal (I recommend to get a double AR). But for rest, without a comparison side by side with a gen there is not many flaws...

KarakDrazh

2/12/12
The biggest tell is the open caseback and the crystal (I recommend to get a double AR). But for rest, without a comparison side by side with a gen there is not many flaws...
The huge lume on the hour markers is the thing that have pit me off since it is so obvious and doesn't look as good.

Apcheng

17/8/14
Hi Tin, sorry if this is posted already but is there any reason why the Miyota doesnt come in a leather strap?

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Hi Tin, sorry if this is posted already but is there any reason why the Miyota doesnt come in a leather strap?
Simple, only Gen 15400 RG comes with leather strap (or RG bracelet).
All Gen 15400 SS come only with SS bracelet...

Pumper

3/1/13
Wondering will JF do a version on the 15400? Understand that currently only noob and BP version.
Given JF current roll the ROOs. I certainly have high hopes if they should do a 15400.

moordact

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/8/14
i think the miyota s pretty solid ? hard to beat that competition, no?

only thing really left to upgrade is the movement, right?

KarakDrazh

2/12/12
i think the miyota s pretty solid ? hard to beat that competition, no?

only thing really left to upgrade is the movement, right?
Can still do a lot more with the dial, hour markers and a lot of other stuff!

Watch.freak.uk

31/8/14
excellent comparison, the most supprising part to me was the over detailed rotor on the rep and the simple mistake of the crown engraving which for a rep company you would think is one of the easiest things to get right ie not central or on the right way round.
All in all tho the gen and the rep look fantastic side by side, its just them gen touches like the way the links in the bracelet are machined so precisely that shows you why you pay them extra 1000's absolutely beautiful and congratulations in owning such a beauty.