• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Royal Oak 15400 Gen vs. Rep (BP) comparison

D

d4m.test

Sorry to bother you, and thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it as someone who has a hard time knowing which model of rep I'm looking at.

Am I right in thinking that this one is the same but for much cheaper?

http://www.pure-time.com/product/royal-oak-41mm-15400-rg-lite-black-dial-on-rg-bracelet-miyota9015/
Hi and no, it´s definitely not the same, You have to look closer at how well the screws front and back are positioned on one and how bad the gaps and seating is on the other, one says audemars p. on the movement itself, the other one not, it only has the rotor, one dial is dull, the other is glossy, the PT one is a "lite" = "bad" version. With other brands it´s sometimes (not often) different but with an expensive gen watch as the AP either go with the best available or none. Consider if You are really able to wear the gold version or gold watches at all in the places You go despite it´s stunning looks, sometimes stainless is just easier to go with. (the gold plating itself is very good these days but the octagonal bezel is a scratch-magnet)

CRBN

Do not accept unsolicited offers
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/3/15
Hi and no, it´s definitely not the same, You have to look closer at how well the screws front and back are positioned on one and how bad the gaps and seating is on the other, one says audemars p. on the movement itself, the other one not, it only has the rotor, one dial is dull, the other is glossy, the PT one is a "lite" = "bad" version. With other brands it´s sometimes (not often) different but with an expensive gen watch as the AP either go with the best available or none. Consider if You are really able to wear the gold version or gold watches at all in the places You go despite it´s stunning looks, sometimes stainless is just easier to go with. (the gold plating itself is very good these days but the octagonal bezel is a scratch-magnet)
Thank you for your input! I assumed the "lite" was a quality indicator but being new to the rep watch scene, it was hard to know for sure.

I essentially only wear gold watches, but that's an absolutely helpful tip for many people. I was definitely worried about the bezel and figured the SS would hold up better, but I basically love the watch for the RG and black face.

TONTCPAD

18/2/13
He's one of my sellers on Ali Express. I've purchased items from him before with no problems. I've never purchased a watch through him though.

LAPH- firstly, sorry for the late reply.
would you go to your accountant when you have a toothache?
do you call the pizza takeaway if you hear someone breaking-in to your house?
No.
Use the TDs on the Forum. They are TDs for a reason.
you are here for a reason.
be smart.

Uberschall

31/3/15
Klockis, thank you so much for this comparison.

The current reps look really good... I am really considering getting a black 15400. :wink:

htff

Getting To Know The Place
14/1/15
Has anyone bought the blue dial? Personally I find blue dial more versatile, can be used for casual or formal.

also, there appears to be 2 different pricings for the Miyota 9015 movement (usd 208 vs usd 438) are they different makers and anyone knows the difference between these 2 pricings?

Flashbolt987

1/3/15
Problem with the blue is that the shades look off from gen. IMO, silver and black are probably closer.

Uberschall

31/3/15
Re-bump! I would like to know as well. And what about this new model that's supposed to come out? :thinking:

D

d4m.test

Cheap and reps is a myth. The V5 factory Myota $438 one is the best: better logo, much better dial, datewindow. Engraving on the movement itself and the 3 center screws distinguish the thin "best" version out for now from the others. If You compare the white dials from the $208 and $438 versions on Toros site You see a little bit of the differences as the pics are too small.

The Noobfactory link is not a trusted dealer and not the "real" Noobfactory.

tsb550

15/4/15
Thanks for the comparison! This was really helpful in getting mine.

Pauly404

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/14
I haven;t seen the $438 version.... However, I do have the $208 version and it is amazing. Great value.

mattapp

23/7/12
I've just placed an order for the V5 factory Miyota, I will post pictures as soon as it hits my wrist!

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
I've read this comparison quite a few times and I learn more and more each time, excellent write up, excellent comparison, excellent watch. My compliments to the OP