• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

roflwaffle

Known Member
1/3/08
Anyone do acrylic/hesalite crystal for the pagani? pretty decent case otherwise. if so, what size fits it?

urvipervi

Looking Around
20/4/24
Well I finally got eveything in and started assembly. Turns out I didnt need the 3D printed holder for the dhgate case. The only thing left is to get the chrono to work. Pushers don't reach the movement. Any tips on what to use to shim them?

roflwaffle

Known Member
1/3/08
Well I finally got eveything in and started assembly. Turns out I didnt need the 3D printed holder for the dhgate case. The only thing left is to get the chrono to work. Pushers don't reach the movement. Any tips on what to use to shim them?
theres a post back a few pages about using heat shrink and some wire or something.. theres a pic and everything.

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Reactions: Karbon74

roflwaffle

Known Member
1/3/08
I have now encountered four different variations of the caseback. FOUR. Absolutely insane variant with these cases. No issues with fitting, just some very interesting things I would have never expected.
Its not just the casebacks.. there's huge variations in the cases themselves, in the bezels, in the crystal sizes.. all kinds of oddities. mostly disappointed in the U1/jason rep in that the case is so poorly profiled, and cutouts for pushers and crown are weird/wrong. pagani is miles better if there were a better bezel option. wonder if gen bezel would fit?

ZnlhmM3.jpeg

axbd2IY.jpeg

C7huHV0.jpeg

dJQbQyK.jpeg

Left to right:

Jason U1 rep
crystal: 32.5mm
bezel: has rehaut and crystal attached, gasketed
caseback fits the other 2 vk63

Pagani
crystal: 33.0mm
bezel: like gen in that crystal attaches to case, but wrong shape/too wide/ceramic

Ali variation
crystal 33.0mm
bezel: has rehaut and crystal attached, no gasket, doesnt fit jason, really thick...

Oldrep
crystal: i dunno, like 33.6? its missing, so thats a guess
pushers: per gen, not vk63/pe50 compatible
caseback: fits gen, not U1
bezel: has rehaut and crystal attached, fits ali, not jason.

havnt checked crown compatibility, but i think i saw elsewehre to expect nonsense. Also gen isnt threaded, so they're all wrong anyway.

but yea, even within ali options, this one is just one of many, but maybe these pics give you an idea where common problem areas are?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

As per above, heat shrink tube work. i use 1mm ID

Cut a piece of about 4mm of tube, place on a pusher pin, and use a heat gun. careful about your hand…the case can get very hot

Repeat on the pin

Then use sharp scissors to snip the shrunken tubes to size. Usually, if you extend the pins by 1.5mm, it’s enough. Make sure you leave no little bits in the case, else they can melt in

Once cut, give both another heat blast, and gently pat the cut end into a flattened shape. Let cool down, done.

Just make sure that the pushers are now not too long, else they will put the movement out of center

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
@roflwaffle
You need to keep in mind that you are making a fantasy Swatch, not an high end Omega rep. Else you will just be super disappointed

The Pagani has the best case finish. TD rep level easy.
The Jason has more "branding" but the finish is rough in places. If you want better, then you have a lot of sanding and polish
AliX cases are just plain random even from same supplier

roflwaffle

Known Member
1/3/08
@roflwaffle
You need to keep in mind that you are making a fantasy Swatch, not an high end Omega rep. Else you will just be super disappointed

The Pagani has the best case finish. TD rep level easy.
The Jason has more "branding" but the finish is rough in places. If you want better, then you have a lot of sanding and polish
AliX cases are just plain random even from same supplier
Respectfully... there's nothing wrong with being aware of what options are on the market, and picking from amongst those, armed with information, regardless if a fantasy rep of a swatch, or a custom build, franken, etc. I'm not disappointed, and I'm quite aware of what I'm building, thanks :D. This isn't my first rodeo.

I was sharing information for others if they cared.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Respectfully... there's nothing wrong with being aware of what options are on the market, and picking from amongst those, armed with information, regardless if a fantasy rep of a swatch, or a custom build, franken, etc. I'm not disappointed, and I'm quite aware of what I'm building, thanks :D. This isn't my first rodeo.

I was sharing information for others if they cared.
I misunderstood your post then
My apologies

nicolasry

Horology Curious
4/9/23
Would it be possible to convert a genuine white snoopy moonswatch to metal case?

I know the watch can’t be opened, I’m willing to “break” the case to get the parts out.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Would it be possible to convert a genuine white snoopy moonswatch to metal case?

I know the watch can’t be opened, I’m willing to “break” the case to get the parts out.

Yes it is technically possible
But given the current scarcity of the snoopy, not sure it’s the thing to do now

Also, much of the appeal is in the monochrome aspect. There is no white bezel insert on the market. Only steel and black would suit this.

nicolasry

Horology Curious
4/9/23
Yes it is technically possible
But given the current scarcity of the snoopy, not sure it’s the thing to do now

Also, much of the appeal is in the monochrome aspect. There is no white bezel insert on the market. Only steel and black would suit this.
Don’t need white bezel insert, I’m thinking of the build as a homage to the 45th anniversary silver snoopy speedy.

True that the lume is white and not black unlike in the Silver Snoopy, but I don’t think it matters that much.

urvipervi

Looking Around
20/4/24
As per above, heat shrink tube work. i use 1mm ID

Cut a piece of about 4mm of tube, place on a pusher pin, and use a heat gun. careful about your hand…the case can get very hot

Repeat on the pin

Then use sharp scissors to snip the shrunken tubes to size. Usually, if you extend the pins by 1.5mm, it’s enough. Make sure you leave no little bits in the case, else they can melt in

Once cut, give both another heat blast, and gently pat the cut end into a flattened shape. Let cool down, done.

Just make sure that the pushers are now not too long, else they will put the movement out of center
Thanks...will give this a try.

nicolasry

Horology Curious
4/9/23
As a follow up on my project. Anyone knows if I could get the gen snoopy moonswatch dial and movement into the OMF V2 Silver Snoopy rep?

On another note, does anyone have any guide on how to re-lume the watch with black lume. The only tutorial I’ve seen was on here but images don’t load anymore. From what I’ve read it involves mixing the lume itself with black paint, but not really sure about it.

Any insight would be appreaciated!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
As a follow up on my project. Anyone knows if I could get the gen snoopy moonswatch dial and movement into the OMF V2 Silver Snoopy rep?

On another note, does anyone have any guide on how to re-lume the watch with black lume. The only tutorial I’ve seen was on here but images don’t load anymore. From what I’ve read it involves mixing the lume itself with black paint, but not really sure about it.

Any insight would be appreaciated!

I will take no part in this massacre

Ok just a little…
The gen moonswatch has
G10.211 & G10.212
M
  • Size Ø29.80mm (13¼ Ligne)
  • Height 5.12mm
  • Hour, Minute & Center Seconds Chrono
  • Battery 394
  • Hand Ø: Min .90, Hr 1.50, Sec .25, Sub .20
  • Stem height 2.45mm

assuming the movement in the snoopy moonswatch is a modded version of that ETA (and that’s a big assumption), you will have to make sure that the OMF movement has the same stem height, or figure out a way to make the stem align

Reactions: Pinion Minion