• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

DapperDoctorHolmes

Getting To Know The Place
17/8/24
If the bezel’s alignment is just slightly off, you can also do the hairdryer trick, let it cool enough so you can touch it, and then just rotate it gently with your fingers rather than removing it entirely.

Reactions: tofino and Karbon74

davelister

Supporter
Certified
18/6/24
Well crap. I just tried to test my DHgate Moonswatches and both are DOA out of the box. Super dissapointed.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Well crap. I just tried to test my DHgate Moonswatches and both are DOA out of the box. Super dissapointed.

Nah. Those things are robust if flimsy
Take out the battery and put it back in

Or put in a fresh battery

If it really does not work, you can have a PE50 for 4-5€ on AliX, sometimes less
While it means you will have to remove dial and hands, it also gives you the opportunity to try out the 2H subdial freeze

davelister

Supporter
Certified
18/6/24
I tried a new battery in both of them, and still the same.
Any particular PE50 I should order?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Don’t throw away the malfunctioning mvts. When you manipulate the mvt, the pinions are easy to snap…you might need spare parts

Also have you tried the pushers? Does the chrono work or is the thing full dead?
Sometimes the dial shifts and locks the small seconds hand at 6H

davelister

Supporter
Certified
18/6/24
Thanks! I'll order some of those later on.

One runs super slow and trying to hand set, I can feel wheels and pinions grinding. Chrono had won't reset.
Other one is completely dead. Nada.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Hi guys, since 77watches on DHGate is done, which one do you choose at the moment for sourcing the dial/movement? I'm looking forward to building some more metal moonwatches :)
Currently I am testing these two

The Snoopys are good
The black classic is not bad but the dial is slightly different from W77
I would argue it’s closer to gen

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
I liked Swatch1 for the classic Moon, Black Snoopy, and the dial and hands on their Neptune Moonshine Gold, though the Neptune case and bezel colors were pretty bad and the Black Snoopy does have the always-white-dots in the sky. They sent me a Super Blue Moon as an apology for the Neptune case being so bad, but then that ended up having the terrible v1 dial (too blue all over and the moonphase is too small). The case and bezel colors were spot on at least so I swapped the Neptune dial into the Blue Moon case.

None of their subdials have the circular textures of W77 or Gen though.

Currently waiting on an order from ‘Moonwatch’ which is said to have those textured subdials, so we’ll see how those turn out; then I’m also waiting on an order from qq13751589026 to try out some of those chimera case and dial swap concepts I shared the other day. Probably 2-3 weeks away from arrival on all those but will keep folks posted.

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
The Gens do all have textured subdials - you can see em in some of the official Swatch product shots, and it’s also part of the r/Moonswatches pinned guide “Real or Fake? Ultimate Visual Guide to Genuine vs Replica MoonSwatch”

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The Gens do all have textured subdials - you can see em in some of the official Swatch product shots, and it’s also part of the r/Moonswatches pinned guide “Real or Fake? Ultimate Visual Guide to Genuine vs Replica MoonSwatch”

Then you are right
W77 sold the best

Swatch1 dials don’t have it
Maybe the other vendor will

I hope the factory that made the W77 did not close 🥲

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
Hm good to know - there’re a few different QQ sellers with different random numbers after em, presumably they’re related but who knows. The QC they sent looked good though: