• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

tofino

Getting To Know The Place
16/9/24
A laser that can engrave metal will not be cheap. I looked into this. Not worth it just for this.
They have come way down something like $1500 or so for a fiber laser from Ali. would really come down to if I could get the vk63 backs cheap enough to sell some.
But with Jason selling backs for 25 I doubt it would be worth the effort.

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
Great to know this is an option. give us an update in couple weeks!
Jason was very responsive with his replies, but coming thought DH Gate, I think it will be a bit longer than 2 weeks.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
They have come way down something like $1500 or so for a fiber laser from Ali. would really come down to if I could get the vk63 backs cheap enough to sell some.
But with Jason selling backs for 25 I doubt it would be worth the effort.
For $25 for a caseback you'd have to engrave quite a few to break even. If you wanted to engrave some vintage Rolex casebacks as well that could pay for itself however. Or between lugs if possible!

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
millklones does that Dong Design case have chrono pushers that work with no mods? Or do you have to fab an extension?
Thanks!

I'm not sure about that seller specifically but @Karbon74 and I have extension methods that are super easy.

Either use 1mm-1.2mm heat shrink tape, which Karbon has done, OR I have designed 3d printed pusher caps that work as well. Either is easy and costs less than $2.

Reactions: Karbon74

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
That product specification on the Dong Design page says the case is produced by Dwayne Campbell, so it's just another seller / listing for those.

Reactions: Tippyracer

Tippyracer

I am Spartacus
Supporter
Certified
23/8/24
FL USA
I would not recommend that seller. I think Karbon and I both bought some of those cases. Lowest quality we have both seen.

Oh, well poop. I have actually read all 43 pages of this thread (yes really!) and have seen Karbon state a couple times that the Dwayne Campbell cases were the worst. And now Caboose concurs. I missed that in the description, thanks Dapper.
Next in my notes (yes I really took notes!) is Mechen, so I guess I'll put one of those in my Ali cart. Unless someone wants to counsel me otherwise on that one? :)

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Bliger has restocked
I like their cases with the sunken pushers and the hit hat crystal

Mechen has pushers further out and a slightly domed crystal, very nice too. The caseback gasket is a pain though

Reactions: Caboose

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Oh, well poop. I have actually read all 43 pages of this thread (yes really!) and have seen Karbon state a couple times that the Dwayne Campbell cases were the worst. And now Caboose concurs. I missed that in the description, thanks Dapper.
Next in my notes (yes I really took notes!) is Mechen, so I guess I'll put one of those in my Ali cart. Unless someone wants to counsel me otherwise on that one? :)
I bought the Mechen case, although it was listed as being 13 mm thick. I measured ca. 15 mm, which included the crystal. Way too thick for me unfortunately.

rsnow

Certified
14/12/22
Germany
I had no idea what I was doing, but it works and I am pretty happy with it. But it looks like the dial is slightly rotated, i.e. the 12 o'clock line is slightly past the 60 on the right and the 6 o'clock line is slightly too far to the left of the 120.
Should I just be satisfied with this or perhaps shorten the stem a little more (could this be the problem)?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I had no idea what I was doing, but it works and I am pretty happy with it. But it looks like the dial is slightly rotated, i.e. the 12 o'clock line is slightly past the 60 on the right and the 6 o'clock line is slightly too far to the left of the 120.
Should I just be satisfied with this or perhaps shorten the stem a little more (could this be the problem)?

Is it mounted and caseback secured?
Is the movement keeping in place?

I mean, did it move after you mounted or itcame up this way

Remove the inside,

Use a hair dryer on just the case and heat the bezel insert. Use a small razor knife to slide under the insert and take it out

With the insert aside, mount the full watch again. Reposition the insert

You might damage the insert while taking it out. It sells between 4€ to 10€ on AliX depending on the shop. Just buy one

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Alternative to removing the insert in the way Karbon said...

I always remove the bezel if I need to align. I use a non-marring "chisel" and a rubber hammer to break free to the bezel, and then align properly, and then use a crystal press to put back. This way it is quicker, there is no chance of damage, but you do need more tools.

Regardless, I would recommend Karbon's way because you need a blue insert anyway to match! Would make the watch look much better!

rsnow

Certified
14/12/22
Germany
Is it mounted and caseback secured?
Is the movement keeping in place?
So the movement does not move when either the crown is fastened or the caseback is closed.
Now I have fixed it (at least enough for me): In the first attempt I screwed down the crown and then fastened the caseback.
Now I've left the crown open and tapped it a little in the desired orientation, then closed the caseback, and now I think the orientation fits quite well.

But thanks for the tip with the insert, I will definitely order and install a blue insert :)

davelister

Supporter
Certified
18/6/24
Got my cases. For some reason, the bezel inserts are separate. Is that normal?
They also forgot to ship my bracelet. Crap.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Got my cases. For some reason, the bezel inserts are separate. Is that normal?
They also forgot to ship my bracelet. Crap.

insert being separate is a good thing
it allows you to put in the insert at the very end when the watch is complete. this way you can get the alignment perfect

bracelet, check what you ordered.
maybe you made a mistake. there are several options to select from, including case only.
if you did not make a mistake, message the seller. they usually take care of it.
if they don't, then you can open an AliX dispute

Reactions: DapperDoctorHolmes