• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

Still have some debugging to do
For some reason the small seconds stops when I screw in the crown 🤔

@Caboose any idea about this? Have you even seen this?
@Pinion Minion the 2h hand is frozen with your technique. Man, i knew this movement was cheap…but I had no idea how cheap 😂
The more I think of it, the more I want to slap the ETA in this thing…even if it’s ridiculous as I never use the chrono 😅

Reactions: Sweetrep

dannyboiii

Horology Curious
19/5/24
And finally my aliexpress parts has arrived. It wasnt a brick! The watch was just what I expected but the speedmaster text is smudged out. I will soon to receive the white snoopy as well so Ill compare both. Will most likely swap out the dial as I prefer white.

Ive put them together using the v4w parts(thank you caboose). It was slightly bigger than the actual case so I sandpapered the edges to trim the diameter down by half mm ish. V4c had slight play inside the case so wasnt the right fit for my case.

One thing I wasnt sure was the rotating crown feels grindy. Not sure if its my case? stem? or Ive done something wrong. It all works though.

Interestingly the battery fitted was LR920. I assume sr626 will still fit anyways?

rwi_enjoyer

Looking Around
18/5/24
And finally my aliexpress parts has arrived. It wasnt a brick! The watch was just what I expected but the speedmaster text is smudged out. I will soon to receive the white snoopy as well so Ill compare both. Will most likely swap out the dial as I prefer white.

Ive put them together using the v4w parts(thank you caboose). It was slightly bigger than the actual case so I sandpapered the edges to trim the diameter down by half mm ish. V4c had slight play inside the case so wasnt the right fit for my case.

One thing I wasnt sure was the rotating crown feels grindy. Not sure if its my case? stem? or Ive done something wrong. It all works though.

Interestingly the battery fitted was LR920. I assume sr626 will still fit anyways?

Which case did you get?

dannyboiii

Horology Curious
19/5/24
So i fully debugged it now*

*almost…the acrylic rep crystal has cracked and has hairlines all over 😂 I will need to replace it eventually but for now I feel it adds to the charm
That is something else! I actually like it. Can you remove specific text on the dial?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
That is something else! I actually like it. Can you remove specific text on the dial?

I like the way you think 🤗
I was tempted to erase any reference to Swatch. it’s easy to do and invisible on an aged dial after treatment

But I decided against it as it would create imbalance on the dial layout

gprime

Horology Curious
22/12/23
So I got a good deal on a gen moonswatch and I attempted the metal case mod on it. What a pain in the butt. I thought I could just dremel off the back an the movement/dial would just pop out. But nope, had to destroy absolutely everything. It's sandwiched in there so well.
Way too time consuming, and I was paranoid about destroying the dial every step of the way.
Process wise, I give it a 1/10. Would not recommend. Reps are definitely the way to go!

Reactions: sting and Karbon74

dannyboiii

Horology Curious
19/5/24
So I got a good deal on a gen moonswatch and I attempted the metal case mod on it. What a pain in the butt. I thought I could just dremel off the back an the movement/dial would just pop out. But nope, had to destroy absolutely everything. It's sandwiched in there so well.
Way too time consuming, and I was paranoid about destroying the dial every step of the way.
Process wise, I give it a 1/10. Would not recommend. Reps are definitely the way to go!
there was a gen moonswatch disassembly video on youtube which I cant really find.
But I remember that the easy way is to open from the glass. Once you get your way to pull the stem
it seems to comeout fairly easy

sting

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/24
3 more on the way 👍
KRrRki.png

KRrNOX.png

KRrEjc.png

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
That red is nice
It looks like Swatch has seen my Ultraman Concept 😂

and the green black has potential but the hands have to go

I don’t know what to think about the last one 🤔

Reactions: Caboose and sting

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The only gripe I have is that PE50 hands are not very common and you need to mod NH35 hands.

I need to check out VK63 hands too

Reactions: sting

sting

10/3/24
That red is nice
It looks like Swatch has seen my Ultraman Concept 😂

and the green black has potential but the hands have to go

I don’t know what to think about the last one 🤔
I like the green and black one, because of the hands 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

sting

10/3/24
The only gripe I have is that PE50 hands are not very common and you need to mod NH35 hands.

I need to check out VK63 hands too
Yeah, this is definitely a pain! I wish they'd just start selling the hands and dials separate, surely there's enough demand 🤔

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yeah, this is definitely a pain! I wish they'd just start selling the hands and dials separate, surely there's enough demand 🤔
Why would they?
This way they sell a package for a higher price. Less logistics, higher revenue, negligible extra cost = higher profit

Also, remember that buyers of mods are a minority. The silent majority just overwhelmingly buys out of the box

Reactions: sting

dannyboiii

Horology Curious
19/5/24
Would be nice, but not for pe50. To be fair its a crappy flimsy movement I woudnt even be interested in if it wasnt for the moobswatches. Its a 3-5dollar movement that goes into budget kids watches

Reactions: sting and Karbon74

sting

10/3/24
Would be nice, but not for pe50. To be fair its a crappy flimsy movement I woudnt even be interested in if it wasnt for the moobswatches. Its a 3-5dollar movement that goes into budget kids watches
I did wonder about that, I thought it must have been built specifically for the Moonswatch reps 👍

Reactions: dannyboiii

dannyboiii

Horology Curious
19/5/24
I was wondering… is vk63 movement compatible with moonswatch rep dial? Dial placement seems similar