• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16800 build

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
another "idea"
put damp ground coffee on the dots but not the text with the dial face up, and then bake

you need to have the temp and timing set before start as it would be tedious to check every 5 mins
I think this is the best idea.
Because it isn’t so wet that the plots will get soaked, but “damp” enough that maybe I can put on a plate, use tweeezers to drop the grinds carefully, then bake.

Hopefully the grinds blow off afterward and not stick like they did on the cheap raffles dial.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I’ve seen high quality watercolors suggested as well as “patina” kits for modeling. Have you tried either of those?
I was very curious about watercolours, but I don’t have a steady hand to do a perfect job like paint or relume.

I might try on a scrap dial, but after seeing others try to re lume or paint and seeing how difficult it is not to have wobbly lines, I steered towards the baking method.

I need to be more patient and just buy some of those cheap practice dials posted above.

I will look for some today.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I think this is the best idea.
Because it isn’t so wet that the plots will get soaked, but “damp” enough that maybe I can put on a plate, use tweeezers to drop the grinds carefully, then bake.

Hopefully the grinds blow off afterward and not stick like they did on the cheap raffles dial.
another crazy idea to add on this one.

How about you make a star shaped cutout foil, baking paper, or maybe even silicone (the flat sheets that go into the oven) ?

the indents of the star would expose the dots. then you put the ground coffee on top in a heap

about the damp, you might want to pre heat the coffee ground below burning temp for some time to extract the moisture, before using it on the dial

Reactions: APjumbo

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
@Karbon74

I like your thinking. I hadn’t thought of high temp silicone. Maybe I’ll buy a silicone glove or something and try cutting the shape out. Being thicker than tinfoil it will probably sit nice and flat. It might work so well to protect the lettering that no coffee grounds required. Just lay it on and bake.

Reactions: Karbon74

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
You may lough, but I use makeup for dots and hands with - for me - good results. Its easy to aply, holds strong and in spite is easy to remove if your not satisfied. The best to me - you get these makeup liquids in next to any shade from very bright to very dark, you can find them at any drugstore and they are really cheap.

Last edited:

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
@Karbon74

I like your thinking. I hadn’t thought of high temp silicone. Maybe I’ll buy a silicone glove or something and try cutting the shape out. Being thicker than tinfoil it will probably sit nice and flat. It might work so well to protect the lettering that no coffee grounds required. Just lay it on and bake.
Kitchen Accessories Silicone Baking Mat BBQ Cooking Mat Black Reusable Nonstick Sheet Oven Tray Kitchen Gadgets Kitchen Tools

if this works for bbq and food, it won't damage the dial

Reactions: APjumbo

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
You may lough, but I use makeup for dots and hands with - for me - good results. Its easy to aply, holds strong and in spite is easy to remove if your not satisfied. The best to me - you get these makeup liquids in next to any shade from very bright to very dark, you can find them at any drugstore and they are really cheap.
very clever !

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
Great Thread!
Here is my 16800 to say hello.
H4uEhY.jpeg

wisedennis

Looking for : NWBIG PAM, Noob Pam, DSN, pm me
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Thank you very much.

The specifications of this watch are
Old JF16610 case, 1.3mm drilled holes in the lugs
vietnam dial and bezel set purchased from m2m
VS3135 with WSO open 6 DW installed.

Case is not exact but I am satisfied.

How much would these cost..?
Would you please provide a general (rough estimate) of the building cost breakdown?

I am planning to build something similar too,,

Thanks! =)
Dennis