• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16800 build

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
As shown above, regular comparison photos show nothing. Any chance someone has raw photos of them next to each other?

Most of my intuition says it's the same case. On that note, why rule out an old BP 16610? The bezel isn't genuine specifications, but it's a nice watch.
Did someone exclude BP cases?
I have BP 16610's from the older ones to the newest 3135 case ones and I think they are good watches.

Reactions: WatchN3RD

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
Did someone exclude BP cases?
I have BP 16610's from the older ones to the newest 3135 case ones and I think they are good watches.
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply someone advised against them. I meant it more as, can't we include BP too?".

Since you have both new and old BP 16610's, is there anything different case-wise? More specifically, if I purchased one 4 years ago with a cheap Miyota clone, the movement holder, movement, and hands are obviously different on the new 3135 version, but are there any other changes? Like case shape, bezel assembly, etc ?

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply someone advised against them. I meant it more as, can't we include BP too?".

Since you have both new and old BP 16610's, is there anything different case-wise? More specifically, if I purchased one 4 years ago with a cheap Miyota clone, the movement holder, movement, and hands are obviously different on the new 3135 version, but are there any other changes? Like case shape, bezel assembly, etc ?
BP's old cases were constructed with polygonal wires to hold the bezel in place.
The newer 3135 case has the same construction as the 6-digit like the 116610.
It also has Rolex and serial engraving on the inside of the rehaut.
This is fine for newer 5-digit bases, but for older 5-digit bases such as tritium dials, it takes a lot of time and effort to cut the engraving and drill holes in the lugs.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
BP's old cases were constructed with polygonal wires to hold the bezel in place.
The newer 3135 case has the same construction as the 6-digit like the 116610.
It also has Rolex and serial engraving on the inside of the rehaut.
This is fine for newer 5-digit bases, but for older 5-digit bases such as tritium dials, it takes a lot of time and effort to cut the engraving and drill holes in the lugs.
Much appreciated. I think I actually have 2 "transitional" models from BP then. 🤣
They are well shaped and have the polygonal spring to attach the bezel... but they also have serial engravings on the rehaut. Separately, I have an old JKF (JF?) 16610 with genuine bezel construction that I ordered specifically without engravings. Is the newer model a repurposed version of that?

I don't want to derail the thread, but I haven't had the chance to ask anyone owning multiple versions!
Removing rehaut engravings seems very simple, but drilling lug holes is not easy at all. I don't own a lathe, mill or CNC, so I see it as a major obstacle. Especially if you don't plan to use hollow end links at some point.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
I believe the JKF case is 5513/1680.
I believe the JF 16610 case is the same as the one I used.

I don't have a lathe or other specialized tools either.

I drilled the lug holes using a Dremel and a cheap drilling machine I bought from Amazon and referring to YouTube videos.

It is fun to look for parts on sites like ebay, process the parts I received, and complete the clock assembled by myself.

Reactions: mmax and WatchN3RD

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
KbbKck.jpeg

Kbb2mo.jpeg

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Mochacha 16800 dial, 3135 LN hands (the color matched the dial from my parts lot), Alibaba case, VR3135 with a few parts taken from a VS, gen Flat 4 insert, open 6/9 WSO datewheel (not the best, will get another at some point). Gotta practice lug hole drilling on other cases and then I’ll do it on this one.

Now I need a 93150 bracelet with hollow end links

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
Mochacha 16800 dial, 3135 LN hands (the color matched the dial from my parts lot), Alibaba case, VR3135 with a few parts taken from a VS, gen Flat 4 insert, open 6/9 WSO datewheel (not the best, will get another at some point). Gotta practice lug hole drilling on other cases and then I’ll do it on this one.

Now I need a 93150 bracelet with hollow end links

What type of needle did you use?

I used Raffles for 3135 and repainted the luminescence.

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
What type of needle did you use?

I used Raffles for 3135 and repainted the luminescence.

I had a set of 16610 LNs from some other project that I dismantled. I liked them because they don’t glow bright like brand new hands. The lume color is white like the dial markers too.

The mochacha dial doesn’t glow at all and the gen pearl is pretty dim as well.

Reactions: trash3939

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
14/10/19
I had a set of 16610 LNs from some other project that I dismantled. I liked them because they don’t glow bright like brand new hands. The lume color is white like the dial markers too.

The mochacha dial doesn’t glow at all and the gen pearl is pretty dim as well.
It matches the mochacha dial very well.

Reactions: bowtiefanatc