• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

“SWAN NECK” (Part I) – What is this? How does it work?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
that really is an awesome post ALE!

i'm still on the fence about buying the pam111 with the incabloc mod or not - on the one hand, i will likely never see it, on the other hand, i wonder if i would ever show it to a real pam aficionado and say- hey check my pam

Thanks

Although you get an Incabloc modded rep (I assume you are talking about gen Incabloc and gen Lyre spring) the Swan Neck Spring, micrometric screw ans some other parts of the watch will be obviously reps. Any semi-expert, who is able to detect the gen Incabloc, will usually be able to tell the rep from above mentioned rep parts.
Therefore up to you if you like spending money in the gen Incabloc

ALE

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
Man, ALE I might be man crushin right now, i think you need a YouTube channel, this is epically amazing!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks for your kind words

ALE

CalABC

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
31/8/15
Thanks for the information.
[MENTION=42327]Raddave[/MENTION] [MENTION=70346]xj4sonx[/MENTION] 1 more "Thanks for the information" away from a sale! Surprising he manages to read 5 posts that are massively long in so long. And doubleposts on this one lol. Sale inc.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
@Raddave @xj4sonx 1 more "Thanks for the information" away from a sale! Surprising he manages to read 5 posts that are massively long in so long. And doubleposts on this one lol. Sale inc.

well he cant make a sale with a multiple account anyways.....
[MENTION=32767]believer123[/MENTION] / [MENTION=125090]watch.this[/MENTION] maybe you can explain the multiple account ?

pinkman

Known Member
4/8/16
Thank you for such important information ! Lots and lots of work is done here !

monstar

2/10/16
Very informative thread, thanks for the educational piece!!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, in the dummies term, a swan neck is merely sort of a "locking" device to hold the regulator from moving after being set, thus making the movement more consistent, because the adjusted regulator stays in position. Correct?

I see why you said a swan neck won't improve the movement in any major way, if the foundation (in this case the movement itself) is bad and unstable, adding a supporting pillar (or even 10) ain't gonna do jack to keep the building upright.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Very informative thread, thanks for the educational piece!!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, in the dummies term, a swan neck is merely sort of a "locking" device to hold the regulator from moving after being set, thus making the movement more consistent, because the adjusted regulator stays in position. Correct?

I see why you said a swan neck won't improve the movement in any major way, if the foundation (in this case the movement itself) is bad and unstable, adding a supporting pillar (or even 10) ain't gonna do jack to keep the building upright.

Yes that is correct
But the micrometric screw also provides a way to regulate easily and with precision the movement (talking about gens)

ALE

mahdil.khatib121

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/16
Never seen something like this before. So much details and information gathered together and summed up in the smartest way possible. I would like to say thanks for this mighty post and for providing the detailed information about the SN. This is something that people like me often search for and for the first time i have seen something like this on any forum. You deserve the awards man. Keep doing the hard work.

cal8500

Known Member
28/11/14
If spring tensile strength was too weak: Does it work, to remove the swan neck and bend it a bit?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
If spring tensile strength was too weak: Does it work, to remove the swan neck and bend it a bit?

Yes, but this will not assure the good working and you will take the risk of changing the regulation of the watch, depending on the length and position of the micrometric screw

ALE

cal8500

Known Member
28/11/14
Thanks.

you will take the risk of changing the regulation of the watch

Of course I have to memorize the position of the dagger and after installing to put it in the same position, so regulation shouldn't be changed.

depending on the length and position of the micrometric screw

Most issue on Reps, I note, is too short micrometric screw, so bending is useless and will change regulation^. Other issue is, that swan neck spring tensile strength was too weak and there is a gap between Swan neck and dagger (see example). In that case bending should help to fix working of te swan neck. And if micrometric screw has the right lenght, you can push the dagger in the correct position.

img_01545msfx.jpg