• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

“Deep” crystals for Rolex - a pictorial

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
Did more Daytona's today. For some reason the V2 116519 xtal swapped w/Deep sits higher than on either of my V3's. The deep xtal is .4mm different in height compared to CF V2 xtal. Not sure if that is what is causing the final discrepency in height between both of the installs? Gasket height might've changed from V2 to V3? (Maybe @KJ2020 can chime in on this? If it makes sense the V2 is taller, could I sand it down with fine sandpaper to adjust the height downward?)

Didn't remove the movement on either of these installs. It's simple and straightforward but I had to redo each bezel aligned 2-3x's as there was slight shifts in it when pressing down. Also - when in doubt tape up the case and put protective cloths in between each side of the press so you don't marr any surfaces!

Before:

Taped up for protection:

116500LN Clean Factor V3 + Deep xtal:

V2 Xtal vs Deep xtal thickness

116519LN CF V2 w/Deep Xtal:

Differences in height of xtal installed on CF V2 (116519) vs. CF V3 (116500)
Use one of these and things won’t shift when pressing….

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
The lowest you can go for gaskets is 2.2mm in my experience. If you go lower , you run the risk of the chrono hands hitting the crystal

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
I just installed one on my clean v3, next up replacing crystal on an old JF 16610lv

Reactions: xing_david

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Pro tip: put a piece of clear tape on the outside of the crystal to mark the LEC. I use yellow transparent thermal tape. Works a treat.

And sticks well while polishing, and comes in all sorts of sizes and you can see through it if needed and it’s literally heat resistant.

Many stellar properties, I use it all the time.

Painters tape won’t do. Thermal or the teal 3M that’s almost like a thin vinyl, hard to explain but I can show you. It’s great.

But thermal is better.

Is this the thermal tape I should get? (I've been using painters tape for watch work)

Amazon: 12mm X 33m 108ft Heat Tape Heat Resistant Tape Heat Transfer Tape Thermal Tape High Temp Tape High Temperature Tape Heat Tape for Sublimation for Heat Press No Residue 1Roll - Brand: MS WGO

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Use one of these and things won’t shift when pressing….
Is that the micropress with these dies?

Reactions: Neon

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
in my experience even with the vertical press sometimes you get a misalignment of a fraction of a mm because between the moment you align the bezel and the moment you then place it on the press there might be a micro movement. I pray and swear at the same time when I press down

• Haha
Reactions: Procurator

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
Is that the micropress with these dies?

Precisely, yes.