• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

“Deep” crystals for Rolex - a pictorial

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
I’ve installed many DF crystals at this point, and they are clearer in person no doubt.

CF stock (on bracelet) and CF with DF crystal…

And a few others I’ve done this week….

Notice the close up Hulk and LV cyclops, notice the blue reflection from the microscope and the white reflection from the same light. (White reflection is DF crystal)

On the BTF Tona no cyclops obv, but so clear it shows the dial and hands so well it’s nuts.

Reactions: Cheesegrater

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
So is Clean V3 panda crystal really that bad and you need this deep crystal for $60 ?

I'm looking at the photos here and I can't tell a difference
Personal preference. I have a gen 116500 and a BTF v2 116500, both black dials. The BTF is clearer than gen. Does it look good? Yes. Is it gen like? No.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Personal preference. I have a gen 116500 and a BTF v2 116500, both black dials. The BTF is clearer than gen. Does it look good? Yes. Is it gen like? No.
You made a very good point.

Didn't know that reps could be clearer or more perfect than gen...

I guess I'll stick with stock crystal. And the reps don't have the rolex crown etching right?

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
You made a very good point.

Didn't know that reps could be clearer or more perfect than gen...

I guess I'll stick with stock crystal. And the reps don't have the rolex crown etching right?
Yes, they do (well, not all…but the top tier reps typically discussed on RWI do).

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Depends which gen crystal you have, they went full AR recently and the BTF mimics that.

Most GENs are not as clear you are right.
This is true. I forgot what year the Daytona’s AR improved. Mine is 2019.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
So @Cheesegrater look at it this way:

The BTF looks like a mid year 2020+ and the CF looks like a 2019. That’s the simplest way to think of it.

And almost every rep on the planet (of Rolex) has LEC, the good ones you can’t see, the shitty ones it’s easy to see.
I'm looking at my daytonas.... I can't tell a difference between 2019 & 2020-2023 crystals.

F me, I'm damn blind.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
The reference of the crystal changed and the newer one has full AR under the crystal.

The sub and DJ also got full AR, I believe the OP is the only one that didn’t. I’d have to look it up.
From the sound of it , I'll just stick to the original Clean V3 crystal.

I don't think I'll notice a major difference. Being blind saves me money.

I still can't believe they discontinued ALL the daytonas.

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
I mean this year they have new cases and killed a lot of the previous generation.
That’s not how that works. They didn’t kill a model, they build a new one.

With that logic Honda has killed the civic and accord like 8 times or whatever, and every other car ever has been discontinued, to be made different.

You don’t say they discontinued said model, they’ve continued the lineage and in turn it has not died.

Reactions: Autobús

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Did more Daytona's today. For some reason the V2 116519 xtal swapped w/Deep sits higher than on either of my V3's. The deep xtal is .4mm different in height compared to CF V2 xtal. Not sure if that is what is causing the final discrepency in height between both of the installs? Gasket height might've changed from V2 to V3? (Maybe @KJ2020 can chime in on this? If it makes sense the V2 is taller, could I sand it down with fine sandpaper to adjust the height downward?)

Didn't remove the movement on either of these installs. It's simple and straightforward but I had to redo each bezel aligned 2-3x's as there was slight shifts in it when pressing down. Also - when in doubt tape up the case and put protective cloths in between each side of the press so you don't marr any surfaces!

Before:

Taped up for protection:

116500LN Clean Factor V3 + Deep xtal:

V2 Xtal vs Deep xtal thickness

116519LN CF V2 w/Deep Xtal:

Differences in height of xtal installed on CF V2 (116519) vs. CF V3 (116500)

Reactions: aHero and Autobús

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Did more Daytona's today. For some reason the V2 116519 xtal swapped w/Deep sits higher than on either of my V3's. The deep xtal is .4mm different in height compared to CF V2 xtal. Not sure if that is what is causing the final discrepency in height between both of the installs? Gasket height might've changed from V2 to V3? (Maybe @KJ2020 can chime in on this? If it makes sense the V2 is taller, could I sand it down with fine sandpaper to adjust the height downward?)

Didn't remove the movement on either of these installs. It's simple and straightforward but I had to redo each bezel aligned 2-3x's as there was slight shifts in it when pressing down. Also - when in doubt tape up the case and put protective cloths in between each side of the press so you don't marr any surfaces!

Before:

Taped up for protection:

116500LN Clean Factor V3 + Deep xtal:

V2 Xtal vs Deep xtal thickness

116519LN CF V2 w/Deep Xtal:

Differences in height of xtal installed on CF V2 (116519) vs. CF V3 (116500)

I hadn't heard of a specific improvement with the CF V3 for a shorter height gasket. Maybe a silent upgrade or could be just different batches for different models.

The Deep crystal height is only 0.04mm taller (not 0.4) which is rather insignificant and wouldn't even be noticeable.

In any event, yes you can shave the gasket height a little, or you could hang tight a bit and order some Daytona gaskets from Cousins UK. I've been replacing some of mine lately. The Cousins Daytona gaskets (part # in pic) are nice and clear and also .15mm shorter in height than the ugly white Noob.

3pfhnD.jpg

Crystal gasket shave - DIY

BTW, really beautiful work on the replacements!

Last edited:
Reactions: Procurator