• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF IWC 5009 released

yangselw

Horology Curious
9/5/15
I just ordered it after coming back from seeing a gen at boutique. I will post some pics here once I get the piece.

PAMaholic

Renowned Member
22/6/09
Ken [MENTION=95727]Chazingtime[/MENTION] told me it does not have the time bomb movement as the other recent releases?! He said it is a reliable movement.

shewie

Renowned Member
27/9/14
London
Beacuse as I MENTIONED BEFORE Portuguese and Big Pilot are sharing like 70% of the same parts, big pilot is considerably equipped without most of the parts we can see inside the portuguese, I wish they could use longer mainspring in Power Reserve to give us more than approx 50-70h of typical portuguese lifespan.

aligborat69

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/12
UK
Is the Portuguese Chrono movement from ZF really considered a time bomb?!

I've been wearing one every single day to the office for like 2 months and keeps time fine, PR goes up and down when I take it off at night, all working perfect

Gonna grab the new tourbillon next, just seen its out! Oh and one of these new Big pilots too!

peteins

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/12/14
Will there be a gold version of this ? I believe it's the 50th anniversary model

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

PAMaholic

Renowned Member
22/6/09
To me, I changed my order from BP to PAM424O ZF. I will wait a bit longer and see what the masses say about reliability. Ken revised his statement at me already and states it is mainly the same mvt. As the Portuguese.

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
NO!
My Portuguese V1 broke down after just 10 days.
Got a brand new movement V2 installed, and it was DOA!

But if it's a different movement in this Big Pilot, then everything may be fine. ;)

Is it possible you were just unlucky? I don't know much about the situation, but here is a full tear down of the movement:

https://rwg.cc/topic/181911-part-12-and-final-thought-full-tear-down-iwc-a5001#entry1449696

His conclusion about the movement on the 5001 (assuming they are using the same movement here): "So what do I think about this movement? I love it. It is really well finished. The way the plates are machined and plated and also the way the decoration is done, all very good. The movement was perfectly clean and well oiled overall. It is designed and manufactured from the ground up and my guess is that a big movement factory like Seagull or Huangzou is behind it.
So how does it perform? Well as mentioned earlier the auto wind module is designed like the ETA28xx series. Which has proven itself over the years. So no worries in that department. The keyless design is from the ETA 77xx series. Also no complaints there. The rest of the movement is pretty basic like a hand wind UNITAS 64xx series. It's also as big as one. The only part I was curious about was the PR design. But they designed it flawlessly. Now that I write this I can truly say that they have combined the best of 3 worlds (movements) and put a cherry on top! I don't think we will see a lot of these movements breaking down in the near future. After service it is now running and performing exactly the same as before the tear-down: perfectly
default_smile.png
"

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
Very possible... This is one of the most popular new releases and we aren't hearing a huge amount of similar reports. Sucks for that guy, though. :p

Is it possible you were just unlucky? I don't know much about the situation, but here is a full tear down of the movement:

https://rwg.cc/topic/181911-part-12-and-final-thought-full-tear-down-iwc-a5001#entry1449696

His conclusion about the movement on the 5001 (assuming they are using the same movement here): "So what do I think about this movement? I love it. It is really well finished. The way the plates are machined and plated and also the way the decoration is done, all very good. The movement was perfectly clean and well oiled overall. It is designed and manufactured from the ground up and my guess is that a big movement factory like Seagull or Huangzou is behind it.
So how does it perform? Well as mentioned earlier the auto wind module is designed like the ETA28xx series. Which has proven itself over the years. So no worries in that department. The keyless design is from the ETA 77xx series. Also no complaints there. The rest of the movement is pretty basic like a hand wind UNITAS 64xx series. It's also as big as one. The only part I was curious about was the PR design. But they designed it flawlessly. Now that I write this I can truly say that they have combined the best of 3 worlds (movements) and put a cherry on top! I don't think we will see a lot of these movements breaking down in the near future. After service it is now running and performing exactly the same as before the tear-down: perfectly
default_smile.png
"

stp1966

Known Member
12/11/13
Were there any significant cosmetic changes to the dial to make more gen like (in comparison with the best faux PR version we all have)? Wondering if it's worth the hefty price tag (since it's new) compared to the previous version, which also got me into reps (especially since the original decorated 25J movement has been bullet proof and considering it's a closed case back).

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
Were there any significant cosmetic changes to the dial to make more gen like (in comparison with the best faux PR version we all have)? Wondering if it's worth the hefty price tag (since it's new) compared to the previous version, which also got me into reps (especially since the original decorated 25J movement has been bullet proof and considering it's a closed case back).

Well this one is a real PR indicator and it appears that dial has been correct from the DAYSl problem.

stp1966

Known Member
12/11/13
Gotcha. Thanks, Naylor07.

Does anyone know if they corrected the lume pattern to be more like the gen (just quarters and hands) and if they fixed the ever-stripping crown stem?

stp1966

Known Member
12/11/13
Based on Puretime and Intime, looks like lume pattern was adjusted. Still curious about crown stem stripping problem.

T222

23/12/11
Very possible... This is one of the most popular new releases and we aren't hearing a huge amount of similar reports. Sucks for that guy, though. :p

Yes, mayby your right, - this could just be bad luck. I sure hope so (for all the other Portuguese owners out there ;)
Well, Ken is taking good care of me, so I'm allright. And with all the rep's I have bought over the last few years, I can live with one or two braking down. I would have liked if it was my very old ugly bad rep Omega that exploded instead of my brand new nice Portuguese, though! :D

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
Man, I do feel for you... I've gone through 2 noob 111 v3s. Both crapped out and everyone else seems to be having no issues. Such is the game we're playing!

Yes, mayby your right, - this could just be bad luck. I sure hope so (for all the other Portuguese owners out there ;)
Well, Ken is taking good care of me, so I'm allright. And with all the rep's I have bought over the last few years, I can live with one or two braking down. I would have liked if it was my very old ugly bad rep Omega that exploded instead of my brand new nice Portuguese, though! :D

T222

23/12/11
Man, I do feel for you... I've gone through 2 noob 111 v3s. Both crapped out and everyone else seems to be having no issues. Such is the game we're playing!

Thanks mate, (and right back at you)
This is one of the best things about this forum, - there is allways some positive support to get, or constructive advise. Othervise I would have hang from a tree right now, LOL! :D

Right now I get comfort from a very nice Pam 372 (WOW, what a watch). ;)

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
I had a Pam 372 crap out where the hands spun around and around when you wound it the only one out of 5 super clones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk