• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best SMP rep?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
I hate to post a thread like this but anyone know where to get the best SMP rep at the moment? Found a nice looking one here http://www.pf-818.com/-p-6805.html but apparently the current reps aren't that good and not much better than the $100 AliE ones!

Failing that I'll have to get saving for a gen :p

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
It's a shame that none of the factories produce a really good non-ceramic SMP anymore. I regret not purchasing one when they were available.

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
Ive never seen any rep with a good wave dial. They just never look right, especially after you've seen the real thing in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
:-/

Its a pity - an iconic watch with no decent rep, if they started producing a decent one I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes.

I still really like the ceramic one and might order one but there's just something about that wave dial...

I'll probably end up ordering the cheapo AliE one as I still like the style of it but eventually I want either a really good rep or a gen...

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Anyone had experience with this one? (The one on the product page is way off but if you follow the 'sample QC pic' link it looks much better)
http://www.pf-818.com/-p-6805.html
It looks ok, but I personally would prefer an Asian movement over a reconstituted Swiss ETA. The immediate tell is the HeV positioning. Too close to the 10 marker. OK price though but I feel the majority of that price is for the Swiss movement. The bezel colour looks fairly good though.

I would go through one of the forum sites to contact Josh in Perfect Clones. I cannot remember the forums he is on. There are too many copies of that website. Not sure if that is the one but it looks identical. Either way any TD here can get anything Perfect Clones can get. Just give them a photo.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
I believe I got that link from his section of this forum so I am fairly sure it is legit.

The he crown and HE valve look better on the product page, the crown guards are better in the QC pics... All such easy things to rectify...

I've got a feeling I'd be happy with that rep to be honest. There's this one http://www.puretime.watch/product/seamaster-300m-chronometer-gents-blue/ which has an Asian movement (better?) and looks really good apart from the big blobby pearl which really puts me off..

Edit: I've just found that the one on Perfect Clones is available $70 cheaper with an Asian movement, is this a better option than the rebuilt Swiss one?

Kernow

Renowned Member
2/9/13
Parts for these are not too bad if you wait it out on places like eBay. It's getting a good mid-case that's the hard part. As has already been said a closed factory case is what you need. Although if you're prepared to go the franken route apparently you can use a new SMPc case as these watches are readily available from our TD's. Have a look at what people have already built.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
The only reason why I say Asian over Swiss ETA is that at least the Asian is a brand new movement. The Swiss ETAs are old refurbed movements as far as I know. Just my preference. But this watch has definitely got me considering the Franken route.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
That franken looks beautiful mclarendude and very gen like. It makes any slight inaccuracies in the case seem insignificant.

Might order the one from Perfect Clones, enjoy it for a while and use it as a future franken base as that's really inspired me. The HE valve position isn't enough of an issue to put me off the current rep cases but it is bizarre they haven't sorted it by now.

I suppose neither type of movement is ideal but I think I'd agree I prefer the idea of a new clone and a service rather than the rebuilt Swiss.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
That franken looks beautiful mclarendude and very gen like. It makes any slight inaccuracies in the case seem insignificant.

Might order the one from Perfect Clones, enjoy it for a while and use it as a future franken base as that's really inspired me. The HE valve position isn't enough of an issue to put me off the current rep cases but it is bizarre they haven't sorted it by now.

I suppose neither type of movement is ideal but I think I'd agree I prefer the idea of a new clone and a service rather than the rebuilt Swiss.

When you fall in love with a watch, just go for it :) I think its a great choice. I still love me little $95 one, it has had more wrist time than any watch I have bought recently.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL

That's very wise, my friend. Best of luck and any help we can surrender, be sure to ask!

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
Anyone had experience with this one? (The one on the product page is way off but if you follow the 'sample QC pic' link it looks much better)
http://www.pf-818.com/-p-6805.html

That's a really old listing, added to the site in 2009. The sample QC pics are 4 years old. I doubt that watch is still available.

There's this one http://www.puretime.watch/product/seamaster-300m-chronometer-gents-blue/ which has an Asian movement (better?) and looks really good apart from the big blobby pearl which really puts me off..

That one was added in 2010. It's probably not available either, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Yeah you're right, I didn't even notice that. I've asked some TDs to see if they can still get them.

The new ceramic ones look like much better reps than the older ones... I've seen a franken one of those somewhere with a gen non-ceramic bezel and a wave dial on it. It looks stunning - but I do like the ceramic model and it's more £££ so I'd be reluctant to do that to it...

I have a 3rd idea - perhaps a bit far fetched - gen wave dial and non-Cr bezel on the Cr rep, then put the dial and bezel from that onto the AliE cheapo and turn it into a decent Cr rep..?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
When you fall in love with a watch, just go for it :) I think its a great choice. I still love me little $95 one, it has had more wrist time than any watch I have bought recently.

Lot to be said for that I think - I think I'd be more than happy with it to be honest and I may pull the trigger but I wanted to explore options for a higher end rep as well. One for wearing daily and another to keep for special occasions :D

As I sort of feared after your post ottomatic - Perfect Clones have informed me the wave dial rep is no longer in production.

Choices now are the franken, the AliE cheaper one... Or both :D

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
They never got the wave dial SMP rep done right. There will always be a certain obvious flaw on it depending on which version it is. Which is why i gave up and ended up getting the gen back in 2012. Best decision ever.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Ah yeah of course the gen as well haha.

Wish the listing you used was still up yllekp as most of the ones I can find have either a blurry stock photo or the waves look like they've been drawn on in crayon. If I could be sure of getting the same one I'd probably pull the trigger.

The SMPc is really starting to grow on me however so that's also on my list now!

Did you ever look into whether or not a gen dial and bezel would fit onto it as that'd make a fair budget franken?