• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best SMP rep?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Ah yeah of course the gen as well haha.

Wish the listing you used was still up yllekp as most of the ones I can find have either a blurry stock photo or the waves look like they've been drawn on in crayon. If I could be sure of getting the same one I'd probably pull the trigger.

The SMPc is really starting to grow on me however so that's also on my list now!

Did you ever look into whether or not a gen dial and bezel would fit onto it as that'd make a fair budget franken?

Yep his Ali site is down again :( it was up until at least yesterday. He only dispatched a watch to me today.

twanger

Renowned Member
15/2/12
You are going to spend more messing around with franken-ing then to just buy the gen. They can be had for under 1k fairly easy. JMHO.

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
You are going to spend more messing around with franken-ing then to just buy the gen. They can be had for under 1k fairly easy. JMHO.

I've not seen any below 1k to be honest. For pre owned, those with box and cards, they usually go for anywhere from 1k to 2k ++.. Depending of course on the model and condition of it.

Kernow

Renowned Member
2/9/13
In the UK these are usually over £1000. In good condition with box and papers £1200-£1500. That's a lot more than $1000, nearer $2000 average.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Yeah I've seen the odd 1 or 2 nice looking ones go for under a £1000 (including one that had just had a service and polish by Omega - I was kicking myself over that one) but thats certainly not the going rate. At least not on eBay (maybe I'd be better looking somewhere else)

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Might have found a really really nice franken for a great price - just trying to sort out buying it...

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Might have found a really really nice franken for a great price - just trying to sort out buying it...
According to exelonman and others the smpc rep case is the best case available for a franken smp. It has best crown guards available and accurate hev position. Even better it takes all gen parts without modification. there are a couple of threads around showing franken smp using that case. Exelonman sold a franken using smpc case a couple of months ago.

I have a franken smp 2220.80 all gen minus midcase(closed factory) en route right now I paid $600 for. I'm considering swapping it into an smpc case. I can get a used one for $230, the smpc case would have slightly better crown guards than my closed factory and would also solve my bracelet problem

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Yeah from the pictures I've seen the SMPc case looks by far the most accurate. The one I've found is using a case with the HE valve off but it doesn't look all that noticeable to be honest. The one I'm in the process of buying is a 2220.80 too - rep case, crown, bracelet and bezel insert (gen pearl) and everything else is gen.

I kind of wouldn't mind an SMPc as well as the SMP - case/movement swap?

If you're ever interested in selling the closed factory case give me a shout!

twanger

Renowned Member
15/2/12
I've not seen any below 1k to be honest. For pre owned, those with box and cards, they usually go for anywhere from 1k to 2k ++.. Depending of course on the model and condition of it.

But your not getting that with a franken either. If you are talking watch head to watch head, they (gens) are out there.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Tempting prices on some of the gens. I'll definitely be happy with my franken as it has a lot of gen parts on it and was less than half the price of any of those. Also looks in really good shape with a brand new movement (regulated and I think it has been serviced)

I still fancy a SMPc as the current reps of those look stunning out of the box! (From the pictures I've seen)

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
I wonder if BP still produce those CrSMP reps.

?????????? ? ????? iPad ????????? Tapatalk

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Looking forward to my SMP, really hope it arrives OK - saw an SMPc in the wild today and it made me want one a little bit so that's next on the list!

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Looking forward to my SMP, really hope it arrives OK - saw an SMPc in the wild today and it made me want one a little bit so that's next on the list!
Yeah I'm contemplating the rep smpc. They are great out of the box. And then when I'm tired with it I could transplant my franken smp into that case and bracelet

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
They do look great out of the box. Looks as though the bezels are not aligned and would want doing and that'd probably be everything I'd do to it.

Crossing all my fingers and toes my SMP gets here OK...

Okie1991

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/15
I snagged one with a centered bezel,from the sales forum, can't wait to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I snagged one with a centered bezel,from the sales forum, can't wait to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The black dial one from yesterday? Is it the bezel insert or the bezel assembly that come not straight?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Think it's just the insert - the bezel looks fine to me but the insert is misaligned in every photo I've seen.