• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best SMP rep?

Okie1991

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/15
The black dial one from yesterday? Is it the bezel insert or the bezel assembly that come not straight?

Yes, the one from yesterday. I left out the word insert in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Faded is not a problem, tbh vintage pieces should look appropriately aged, this shows that there were no cheapo aftermarket replacements used. You would not believe what people do to their gens. I have read many instances where people have got $30 bezels or dials off e-bay and put them in their gens. and felt very proud that they did not have to pay OEM prices. Be careful buying used gens.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I guess the point above was that depending on the condition you want on a used smp expect to pay up to $1500

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Well as far as my original post goes the old one with the aluminium insert is the one I want but I'm also interested in the ceramic.

Buying used gens seems like a minefield to me - over £1000 easy for a good one. Even then you still can't be 100% sure what you're getting - at least with a franken/good rep you know exactly what you're getting whether you build it yourself or buy it from a well trusted member ( like I've done)

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Well as far as my original post goes the old one with the aluminium insert is the one I want but I'm also interested in the ceramic.

Buying used gens seems like a minefield to me - over £1000 easy for a good one. Even then you still can't be 100% sure what you're getting - at least with a franken/good rep you know exactly what you're getting whether you build it yourself or buy it from a well trusted member ( like I've done)
Do you know exelonman? Has he been mention on this thread? He's on here and sells about 250 gen 2538.80 (aluminum bezel) seamaster per year. If you want one buy it from him. He can even ship in a way that will help you avoid paying duties .

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Not until you mentioned him, thanks for pointing me in his direction - I see he sells a few bezels and I might be after a gen bezel plus insert at some point.

Will def keep an eye on his watches when I can get some funds together!

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
It's a shame that none of the factories produce a really good non-ceramic SMP anymore. I regret not purchasing one when they were available.

+1 :(

I'm closer every day to get a gen, one of my grail watches.

Is it a good thing to look for one on chrono24 or is there any other source in EU that can get one for a good price?

D

d4m.test

+1 :(

I'm closer every day to get a gen, one of my grail watches.

Is it a good thing to look for one on chrono24 or is there any other source in EU that can get one for a good price?
Imho Chrono24 is fine, You still have to check on the seller. A good general address for new/sometimes used is Watchexpress Hamburg, they send everywhere in the EU.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks for info bud! I suppose trusted sellers since 2010-2011 are safe enough right?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Franken has arrived! Having seen it compared to some of the pics of the reps available now I'd say it's the way to go. Unbelievably gen like. I'll post pictures once I've adjusted the bezel which is currently in 3 pieces on my table :balloon:

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
So I was working on the bezel, had it perfect, put the pearl down, test fitted the insert and.... The gen pearl has vanished and I can't find the thing anywhere. I've only been sat in 1 spot but it's disappeared into nowhere. So pissed off at this!