• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can I swap hands from an ETA to a 21J?

danamino

Horology Curious
1/12/12
Please can I have your help - thank you!

I have bought an Explorer II 1655 with a 21J movement without an hour hand. Can the hour hand from a 1655 with an ETA 2836 fit onto it?

I am going to send the watch to Domi but want to make his life as easy as possible.

Cheers

Odyseus

Renowned Member
1/11/11
In a word on the hand pinion sizes are different, that said you can buy from places like Cousins (UK) sport (Rolex like) watch hands for Chinese movements

danamino

Horology Curious
1/12/12
Thanks for the advice Odyseus10. I really appreciate it.

Would it make sense to buy a new ETA clone movement that will take the ETA hands like the HANGZHOU 6460 (GMT 2836-2 clone) and have the 21J replaced altogether? (assuming it will fit).

Cheers

Popklister

2/10/11
The ETA clones are wrong beat for the 1655 28k vs 21k so the second hand will tick faster then the gen. The good things with the 21j are that when they are dead you just buy a new movement for 40 bucks:)

Odyseus

Renowned Member
1/11/11
The ETA clones are wrong beat for the 1655 28k vs 21k so the second hand will tick faster then the gen. The good things with the 21j are that when they are dead you just buy a new movement for 40 bucks:)

It won't tick and faster it'll just have a smoother sweep. You can swap a DG3894 with a modded ETA2836 on the GMT Rolex reps, but you can't swap a DG2813 with an ETA2836. Dial won't fit, movement thickness and crown positions are different :(

Popklister

2/10/11
Yeah you are right odys, and i know some members have had problems with the 21j GMT. So maybe the ETA is a safer way to go?

Odyseus

Renowned Member
1/11/11
Yeah you are right odys, and i know some members have had problems with the 21j GMT. So maybe the ETA is a safer way to go?

There's a lot debate on the GMT movements! Yes the 21j is more reliable but it's clunky to set (it's much better after the keyless is greased and oiled). The eta2836 (Swiss or Asian) with GMT mod is a much better movement, but can suffer from GMT hand slippage.

danamino

Horology Curious
1/12/12
I think it is a DG3804 in my 1655. Is it possible to swap it for one of these, or something else: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANGZHOU-...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e4b34011

I have read good things on the web about this Hangzhou 2836-2 movement but I'm a noob.

Or I could get an hour hand from Cousens I guess, but can't drill my options down from the link I posted above.

I read about a fix on watchuseek for the slippage:

ETA 2836-2 GMT models written by adrenalin
Post #10 in the thread: "Bottom line is that the 24 hour wheel will slip, its a problem with the design, however if you will set the GMT hand in the desired position, then after setting GMT hand SLOWLY advance the date until it starts to just move the date in the date window, stop before the date actually advances and turn the crown the opposit direction until the date is back in the proper position, push crown back in and screw the crown in place. This minor proceedure has reengaged the GMT hand every time I have done it, its just a habit to do it that way now."

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I'd stick with your 21j for now and get some new hands from cousins to be honest.

Beat rate is right, movement is cheap, hands are easy to get, why change?!

To donate become a VIP, click on the link above the chat box to send TrailBoss99 a PM

danamino

Horology Curious
1/12/12
Thanks Alex_P1 - I sent Trailboss a PM

Thanks Ody - I can see that page. Is it H19575 for a 1655? - they say Sub style and Date just style. There is H12033 also and these say Sport.

Looks like I'm almost sorted - cheers