• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KW PAM389 is finally here -------- [ QC pics allowed ] ---------

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I got my KW 389 today. Yes, the side shape is a bit different than gen (where ZF is better on this one). Is it a problem? No. Does it prevent the watch from being super rep? Yes, it does. All the rest is better than ZF's creation: better dial, better hands, better CG, even better strap. Even internals (movement holder, soft metal cap) are made better. Bezel works one class better than ZF's one, no doubts.

I agree with you completely
This is the point. It is a pity

ALE

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
even sapphire is more clear than ZF's... :/ pity they got shape of the case different way (it looks like they used as a model the shape of 312 and just resize it; maybe they had ready-to-use way of grinding already programmed so they reused it). Stupid mistake.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
I got my KW 389 today. Yes, the side shape is a bit different than gen (where ZF is better on this one). Is it a problem? No. Does it prevent the watch from being super rep? Yes, it does. All the rest is better than ZF's creation: better dial, better hands, better CG, even better strap. Even internals (movement holder, soft metal cap) are made better. Bezel works one class better than ZF's one, no doubts.
This is good news as I don't care about slight flaws at the side of case. Rest polonus stated is far more important. Happy and waiting for my kw 389 :)

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Not altered photos:

5UAYhHE.jpg

PhgtgrZ.jpg

uWMRv8S.jpg

LVkC0wa.jpg

LLsj8Mk.jpg

bP7cDCK.jpg

47jZ5cg.jpg

moDFSJZ.jpg

esA4GFB.jpg

Jl0KOsQ.jpg

Z3k0

Renowned Member
2/1/07
Croatia
Polonus, did you measure overall thickness of the case ZF vs KW ? If it's the same I think I could live with slightly different shape ...

regards

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
cannot take a photo but when laying next to another they're the same.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
ZF's on top; KW on bottom:

uT9hnSl.jpg

On the 2nd thought I think KW case has main body of Pam 305 while lugs are something between Pam 389 and Pam 305. It doesn't bother me, anyway.

More differences are visible:
- better engravings on caseback in KW version
- better bezel in KW (ZF's one looks like rep (!) next to KW)
- the bezel's internal edge (around sapphire) is polished in KW while is left brushed on ZF
- the ZF pearl is a joke

Overall I am starting to love KW version more and more... :)

To compare, ZF's pearl and visible just brushed internal edge of metal part of the bezel:

pRMEaXR.jpg

KW's:

Jl0KOsQ.jpg

tom_cat

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/13
KW definitely is superior in every way than ZF for sure. Only thing is just the case shape was wrong. I would get it again if they are updated with the case :)

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
So basically there is no reason for people with ZF version to buy the KW since it's not accurate as well hopefully there will be a release closer to gen then I will upgrade for now my ZF is good enough

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
I would say that basically it is a good time to try to sell ZF's version ;)

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
I think KW 389 other visual advantages over ZF's version makes it the version of choice. Selling ZF 389 to repurchase 389 in KW version is definitely worth the hassle. Wrong shape is almost non issue.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Case similar to PAM 305 is a good catch from Co-ax. I really was investigating this point when I got the answer from Co-ax and Polonus pics. Thanks friends for this study

I agree with Polonus regarding KW is a better watch in general in comparison with ZFac, maybe almost all aspects are better in KW (an many of them way better). Ceramic bezel and fitting with metalic bezel are impressive and I like the look of the white engraved minute markers between 12 and 3 on the ceramic bezel. Overall finish and gen-like appearance are superior on KW without doubts.
But as rep the flaw of the case is very serious and I understand many people don't admitting such a flaw. In the same way I also understand people admitting the flaw of the case and preferring KW rep over the ZFac.
I cannot evaluate KW PAM 389 as a Super rep, even (as a rep) I think it would deserve a very low First Class status but if I had to buy a rep of PAM 389 I would buy a KW without doubts, case flaws are much less visible than other aspects. In the same way, owning a ZFac PAM 389 I wouldn't change to KW.

It is a pity and I'm disappointed

ALE