• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

i dont know if there is a ....

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Um, Cy...maybe a Bit late welcoming the All Mighty, but a nice gesture all the same. Good on ya brother.

Oh I didn't realize he'd been here since May of 06.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Please don't! I look terrible in hats other than a ball cap.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Please don't! I look terrible in hats other than a ball cap.

Ya for some reason I just cant picture Jimmy wearing any type of hat...Maybe a cap that says Gibson on it.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
don't do to others what you don't want to have done to you
i think that can be a 1 page book

At the risk of bringing this topic back to a meaningful subject, Christianity isn't just about regulating behavior or making you a "good" person. In fact, I feel like that's a rather small part of it. In fact, according to the Bible, you can do all of the good things that you see other people doing--attend a church, donate to charity, never lie, steal, or cheat, and do everything perfectly, and still not be saved.

This is what I mean by saying that it's not about your works. As Christians, you, on your own, can't save yourself. You could only be saved by accepting that Jesus is your Savior.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
At the risk of bringing this topic back to a meaningful subject, Christianity isn't just about regulating behavior or making you a "good" person. In fact, I feel like that's a rather small part of it. In fact, according to the Bible, you can do all of the good things that you see other people doing--attend a church, donate to charity, never lie, steal, or cheat, and do everything perfectly, and still not be saved.

This is what I mean by saying that it's not about your works. As Christians, you, on your own, can't save yourself. You could only be saved by accepting that Jesus is your Savior.

Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10

How do you do it Alina? Every post of yours makes perfect sense.

Always well worded and with immaculate spelling.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I don't have any answers though.

My wife is catholic and a regular church goer. I'm Church of England (Protestant for want of a better word). Both of my kids have been brought up as catholic, they go to catholic school. I have no problem with that, I do not see religion as a barrier.

I believe without practising and accept each person for what they are, regardless of race, religion, sexuality etc....

I had a point to make here but forgot what it was. :facepalm:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07

So in other words, All Muslims, and Jews (for example here) are going to hell?

PecMan

4/5/09

hehehehe sorry my friend i do respect ur opinion , but i have to tell u , just becouse the bible say that i can't accept it , i mean
lets say there is this buddhist, he is a good man , he never did bad to anyone , he helped people , he dedicated his life to serve people that needed help , he never took adventage from anyone ,
so at the end GOD will send his son to hell !! HAHAHAH very funny , what a GOD! he is one step to be a DEVIL imo, i mean , if he sends such a good person to hell , for 1 small reason , he has to be crazy
of course that is just my opinion

PecMan

4/5/09
no need to step out my friend , we are just talking and sharing opinion here , with respect , till now every post that i have read that has to do with the subjet , makes sence and have something that is true about it

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Well, naturally, this is where the real controversies usually begin.

Do good, kind, generous people go to hell if they don't accept Christ? Do people who follow other religions and are faithful to those religions go to hell? Do people who never heard of Christ and never had a chance to believe go to hell?

And this is what I mean when I say that if we rely on our human understanding, it's impossible to comprehend that this could possibly be fair. Because all Christians have to go by is the Bible, and unfortunately, there is no disclaimer in the Bible that says that good people, people who are faithful to other religions, or people who didn't get to hear the Gospel will get saved. Of course, we don't know the answers. But as far as we know, yes, those people don't get saved. The only way that we do know that they do is through accepting Christ, so this is why it becomes paramount to try to share it with as many people as possible, even Pecman. :)

Our human understanding inherently rebels against this explanation because it seems so radically unfair. There are stories in the Bible that strike me as sounding terribly unfair. Like God hardens the hearts of certain people so that they won't believe in the truth, and then he punishes them. That sounds awfully unfair to me. Or someone merely questions some decision God made, and God vaporizes them in a puff of smoke. That doesn't sound very loving either.

But our sense of justice is terribly primitive, compared to God's, so even though we think it's horrible, our sense of justice doesn't prevail. Remember Levelmanroger's example early on in this thread about the child who is getting vaccinations, and has no idea why Mom and Dad are letting strangers hold him down to get poked with a needle? The child has no ability to understand how this is love, no matter how many times you explain it to him, yet it's true. Mom and Dad would stand in front of a speeding bus or take a bullet for the child, and they love him more than any person could possibly love another, yet they do allow what he perceives is being horrible to happen. Now as adults, we can understand it, but our degree of understanding compared to God's is just as limited as that three year old child's. So there are things that we perceive as being grossly unfair, yet we have to accept that it's just. We don't get it, but it is.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Wowza...
Lots of folks going to burn...Unless someone sprinkles some nice water on there foreheads really quick, maybe they have a shot?
I gather all those born before Christ...Hell!o for you...
Hmmz...
The only thing factual about the bible is it's written by man... Some brilliant, some very flawed, and some very twisted men on there own account. Have a read about Paul (AKA Saul, the professional Christian killer sometime)
It's a wonderful book, dun get me wrong...But it's just that, a book.
Inside somewhere you can find a few laws/guidelines man has said that God wants us to follow...

I don't recall anything about following my son, or go to hell in those laws, but I will be the first to admit, everything written is subjective, and I do remember somewhere in those laws to love thy neighbor.

Now, can you really love thy neighbor if they are heathens without the love of Christ? Shall YOU be the enforcer for God to exclaim damnation for lack of faith in Christ? That's where Christianity fails as a whole. It does not follow what we were told to believe was the actual written law of God. Unless of course, man can re-write Gods law.
BTW, I am Catholic. Free will, it's a wonderful thing.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The concept of saved or not saved is what pec seems to be challenging, and he has a right to do so. It is a bit presumptuous, IMHO, for a mortal being (if I may) to declare that the sum of one's life will yield one or the other since nobody knows what happens after death. Nobody knows. But I grew up going to church (I am baptized as a Presbyterian) hearing that message of salvation from a minister.

So the threat of burning for eternity in a pool of fire, if one considers it a genuine threat, is an empty one in the mind of an empirical thinker. Conversely, so is the potential reward of whatever is expected to await in heaven (seventy two virgins, for example), should one be saved as a result of the proper adherence to the required principles of behavior that yield salvation.

Deep stuff indeed.

Pec, you might also read up on the concept of secular humanism as part of your quest.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
It is a bit presumptuous, IMHO, for a mortal being (if I may) to declare that the sum of one's life will yield one or the other since nobody knows what happens after death.

Well, I agree. It is presumptuous. And you're right that no one does know. That's why it requires a tremendous degree of faith. And mind you, I'm not asking Pec or anyone else to believe what I'm saying. He asked the question, and I'm just answering what, to the best of my knowledge, most practicing Christians believe.

The only thing factual about the bible is it's written by man...

True. But the words are supposed to be inspired by God. No, I don't have any proof of that. I do believe it, however.

Now, can you really love thy neighbor if they are heathens without the love of Christ? Shall YOU be the enforcer for God to exclaim damnation for lack of faith in Christ?

Well, sure, I can. In fact, it's probably the only way for me to love my neighbor, Pec. No offense, Pec, but your style is not really my thing, but as a fellow child of God, I can love you enough to spend a few hours sharing the Gospel with you, even knowing that there's very little chance that you will believe any of it. But there remains that little chance, and for that reason alone, I'll make the effort.

And no, I'm not the enforcer, and I'm not declaring damnation for anyone. I believe what I believe, and I'm sharing it. For better or for worse.

I believe what the Bible tells me, or at least what I understand of it. It doesn't always make logical sense to me, but I recognize no higher authority than what's written there. Not even trailboss. Though he comes close. :)

BTW, I'm probably out the rest of the weekend, so you guys can figure out the meaning of life without me. :)

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Well, I agree. It is presumptuous. And you're right that no one does know. That's why it requires a tremendous degree of faith. And mind you, I'm not asking Pec or anyone else to believe what I'm saying. He asked the question, and I'm just answering what, to the best of my knowledge, most practicing Christians believe.

True. But the words are supposed to be inspired by God. No, I don't have any proof of that. I do believe it, however.

Well, sure, I can. In fact, it's probably the only way for me to love my neighbor, Pec. No offense, Pec, but your style is not really my thing, but as a fellow child of God, I can love you enough to spend a few hours sharing the Gospel with you, even knowing that there's very little chance that you will believe any of it. But there remains that little chance, and for that reason alone, I'll make the effort.

And no, I'm not the enforcer, and I'm not declaring damnation for anyone. I believe what I believe, and I'm sharing it. For better or for worse.

I believe what the Bible tells me, or at least what I understand of it. It doesn't always make logical sense to me, but I recognize no higher authority than what's written there. Not even trailboss. Though he comes close. :)

BTW, I'm probably out the rest of the weekend, so you guys can figure out the meaning of life without me. :)
I can respect that.

PecMan

4/5/09
u know what i like and think it is preaty cool
no one posted a comment saying
hey!!! everything that is written in the bible is 100% correct and makes 100% sense couse it is written in the bible!!
i talk to that kind of people all the time , they dont have their own opinions , is like they are afraid , and actually they are afraid!! they say that even to question urself or god is a sin ! i find that very crazy , and lack of using ur brain

there was a period of time where i became really christian , used to read the bible all the time , go to chistian church , then the after church meeting , u know they have all kind of stuff , but for real , they dont let u go against the bible , if u like it , good ! if u dont like what u c , u cant complain .
i admire many people in this life and any of them is crazy about the bible and going to church
they tell u there , that the only music u can listen , has to be related with god (jesus) they say u cant go to a club to dance the WORLD MUSIC , u cant do shit !
talking about demonds all the time? wtf ,
my brother is not a 100% fanatic , he is 1000% , he does not drink , **** , go to clubs or anything ,
i think he was better before he was that fanatic of the church
but if he is happy good for him
if u are happy with the bible good for u
if u are happy believing whatever u want good for u

AND WHEN I SAID THAT I BELIEVE IN MYSELF , I DID NOT MEAN IT IN A GOD SENSE , I DO NOT THINK I AM ANY KIND OF GOD , I KNOW THERE IS A BOOK WHERE TELLS U THAT U ARE UR OWN GOD , WHAT I MEAN IS THAT , I HAVE EVERY SINGLE TOOL IN MY BODY AND ENERGY TO MAKE MY GOALS POSIBLE ,

i dont ! need the help of god , when it comes to find a job ,
can u imagine if i say , pls god! help me find a job and i dont look hard for one???
if i want a job i will be awake since 6 am and look everywere , talk to everybody and
make sure i dont rest till i got the job !
i can not tell god , please good aloud me to be healthy , and keep eating burgers , soda , put trash in my body ,
i have to take care of my body , inside and out ,
and if 1 day someone tells me , hey u got cancer , i cant : GOD! WHY ???!! WHY !!!
is just my destiny , and GOD doesnt have anything to do with it ,
if i was good or bad , christian or catholic , gay or straith , stanic or a killer or a priest , whatever good or bad happens to me , it will happen even if i am what i mention before

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Pec, what do you think of Tahitian Noni juice ?