• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

(UDATED!) IWC Top Gun V1,V2 and the GEN (By Toro Bravo and Takashi)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
They have updated the v1 with correct caseback Top Gun logo colour (less red blood, more like gen or v2).

As for swapping to 7750, both version will have no problems.

todaystheday

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/10/10
just ordered V2 cant wait to get it, was so impressed with iwc cousteau 2006 divers watch hopefully this will be on par with it :)

todaystheday

Banned
3/10/10
also ordered a v2 dial just incase i get a v1 sometime to play around with

todaystheday

Banned
3/10/10
just got my V2, watch it self is really really good top gun engraving is spot on shame movement is knackered before i even worn it time to get a full service for it :( also have spare V2 dial if anyone intrested

twix

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/12/10
Very nice indded.

So what would be the "best" path for future modding?
V1 or V2?
Seems like the V1 got some specs like crown closer to gen but crappier dial. (got to look into the upgraded V1 dial with rings though)

/Jidd

I can't find a dealer with the v1 and the new dials? Does anyone know who has it?

randychuah

Known Member
14/12/10
Puretimewatch has it.

However, placed my order for V2, expecting it to arrive somewhere next week or the week after. Will post pics once i get it. And yea, the wait is unbearable ~~ cant wait to get it
:facepalm:

Fabian

Horology Curious
20/4/09
the case size rep

First i would like to wish u guys all the best 4 2011.

Could any one tell me if the case size fron the rep (top gun) is the same as the gen.?

Cause on the IWC website says the case is 46 mm and on the site of the trusted dealers Ive read 44 mm.

Thnx,

Fabian

wtchgk

18/8/10
United States
First i would like to wish u guys all the best 4 2011.

Could any one tell me if the case size fron the rep (top gun) is the same as the gen.?

Cause on the IWC website says the case is 46 mm and on the site of the trusted dealers Ive read 44 mm.

Thnx,

Fabian

Yes, it is. The rep top gun in this thread is a single chrono and the case is 44mm. The IWC double chrono has a 46mm case.

thisismynick

27/12/10
Hi,

sorry if I am mistaken, but does the GEN not have a third pusher on 10 o'clock position on the left side of the case, plus a 2nd second hand for rattrapante functionality? sure looks like that on the IWC homepage:

http://catalog.iwc.com/product-detail.aspx?param=IW379901&languageCode=EN&countryCode=de#5

I can't see neither of that even on the "GEN" here above, and is that not THE instantanious tell on a top gun rep?

Thanks for clarifying

wtchgk

18/8/10
United States
Hi,

sorry if I am mistaken, but does the GEN not have a third pusher on 10 o'clock position on the left side of the case, plus a 2nd second hand for rattrapante functionality? sure looks like that on the IWC homepage:

http://catalog.iwc.com/product-detail.aspx?param=IW379901&languageCode=EN&countryCode=de#5

I can't see neither of that even on the "GEN" here above, and is that not THE instantanious tell on a top gun rep?

Thanks for clarifying

There are two versions of the IWC top gun chrono:

IWC 3789 single chrono
IWC 3799 double chrono

The double chrono has an additional pusher at 10. There is no rep of that watch with complete functionality to my knowledge.

IWC may have discontinued the production of the 3789.

thisismynick

27/12/10
Wissen macht "Ahh..." :)

Hi,

thanks for clarifying that! Didn't know of a single chrono... :)

Great review!!

Cheers

randychuah

Known Member
14/12/10
Does anyone know if the ceramic case of this watch will easily scratch? or will there be any chip of coating or whatsoever or its just one piece of robust material that wouldnt scratch (but breaks when dropped)?

themeis

3/1/10
just been chatting with a dealer on the pros and cons of v1 v's v2 - hes telling me there is a lot of movement problems

any thoughts

also anyone selling modded v2's ? im interested please pm me - thx

randychuah

Known Member
14/12/10
just been chatting with a dealer on the pros and cons of v1 v's v2 - hes telling me there is a lot of movement problems

any thoughts

also anyone selling modded v2's ? im interested please pm me - thx

Pure Time Watches Int. has it.

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
Hey randy, it definitely doesn't scratch easily, as far as I can tell. That said, I was once wearing it and accidentally knocked it pretty darn hard against the side of a metal desk :facepalm: You can imagine the pain I felt..... luckily, it didn't chip or break. All there was was a very very fine line on the bezel... so fine that it is only visible under bright lighting conditions, and only at certain angles. Guess I'm trying to say it is one robust piece.

Anyways, have you sorted out whether yours is a V1 or V2?

Does anyone know if the ceramic case of this watch will easily scratch? or will there be any chip of coating or whatsoever or its just one piece of robust material that wouldnt scratch (but breaks when dropped)?

randychuah

Known Member
14/12/10
Hey randy, it definitely doesn't scratch easily, as far as I can tell. That said, I was once wearing it and accidentally knocked it pretty darn hard against the side of a metal desk :facepalm: You can imagine the pain I felt..... luckily, it didn't chip or break. All there was was a very very fine line on the bezel... so fine that it is only visible under bright lighting conditions, and only at certain angles. Guess I'm trying to say it is one robust piece.

Anyways, have you sorted out whether yours is a V1 or V2?

Hi Chisin, its a V1, but PureTime is insisting its a V2? will see then haha. Either way its a great watch

matseponken

2/11/10
There are two versions of the IWC top gun chrono:

IWC 3789 single chrono
IWC 3799 double chrono

The double chrono has an additional pusher at 10. There is no rep of that watch with complete functionality to my knowledge.

IWC may have discontinued the production of the 3789.

It's a pity that there is no rep of the double chrono. I'm not really after the pusher @10, but I would really like a Top Gun that is 46mm. No rumors that there will be a REP 3799 double chrono?