• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

(UDATED!) IWC Top Gun V1,V2 and the GEN (By Toro Bravo and Takashi)

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Give thanks to Torobravo from RG, he put this together and I feel that it is a wonderful review,so up it goes

Another review of the IWC Top Gun, this time the participants are: V1 (Rep1) V2 (Rep2)
The gen it was landed by a special friend of mine who wanted to be anonymous

* In general V1 is the better
* On the V2 the crown it is not good either, and what´s more...it´s bigger, so the winner is V1
* The text on dial it´s much more better on the V1 and each rep has individual serial nº
* Top Gun engravements on the sides are both wrong :S
* The airplain also it´s wrong on both
* The datewheel I think it´s ok on both
Enjoy the pics and see the difference:
reviewiwc.jpg

genuine.jpg

dialescompare.jpg

coronasiwc.jpg

coronascajasiwc.jpg

coronasperfil.jpg

iwc-pulsa.jpg

perfiliwc.jpg

iwc2-coronas.jpg

coronascomapare.jpg

backcompares2.jpg

iwcback.jpg

iwcback2.jpg

iwcbackarriba.jpg

iwcbackcorrea.jpg

correascompare.jpg

iwchebilla.jpg

dialrep1.jpg

dialrep2.jpg

iwc-diarep1.jpg

iwcdialrep2.jpg

iwcgendial.jpg

iwccompare.jpg

Result: I recommend the V1
Thanks for reading

Further Comparisons of the v1 and v2( By Takashi)

Several more points worth noting. The actual crown position and engraving comparison. I would not say that the engraving of v2 is ALWAYS better than v1. See the comparison for yourself.
Caseback engraving on v2 is totally wrong on the inside. It has wrong model number and does not match with the actual serial number on the outside. See it for yourself.
I am also leaning towards v1. The v2 crown has too dark of Ti colour, IWC never uses such material making it a dead giveaway.

Missing caseback gasket on the v2:
P3097912.jpg

This is a big no no... Water can easily penetrates inside. However, I have to give credit to v2... The caseback dust/antimagnetic cover. Lovely... It's made of real titanium.

Crown position comparison:
P3097847.jpg

P3097848.jpg

P3097890.jpg

Caseback comparison:
P3097901.jpg

P3097910.jpg

P3097911.jpg

Refer to the respective serial number... v2 has wrong inner engraving.

Takashi's review on gen vs rep strap

I think they are pretty much self explanatory, nevertheless I will post my comments tomorrow.

Here you go:
P2066833.jpg

P2066834.jpg

P2066836.jpg

P2066843.jpg

P2066854.jpg

P2066866.jpg

P2066870.jpg

P2066879.jpg

P2066881.jpg

P2066887.jpg

P2066913.jpg

P2066916.jpg

P2066921.jpg

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Excellent review, Alvin. It's scary how close these look to the real thing. Between you and Spirit, I think my wallet is going to be hurting. You guys make me want to go buy all these that you review.

**Ok, just read where it's not YOUR review per se. But I'm still holding you responsible. You are at least an enabler. ;)

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Why v2? i am still contempleting geting one of these.. I would like more views

For some people most people over at RG tend to say that the V1 is closer to the gen. I really can't see that. The dial texture to me looks better on the v2. The v1 texture looks somewhat more shiny. The engraving on the side on the v2 is excellent; really really sharp, while on the v1 it sometimes has some kind of hairs or textile leftovers lol. Another thing is the crown and the pushers. They seem way too shiny on the v1 and they look just about right on the v2. They both are really close to the gen and even closer to each other but for me the v2 is the winner.

-Q

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I ordered a v1 for the purpose of another comparison. Nonetheless, thanks for posting this Alvin.

I have given my overview the last time but I feel that both have its own drawbacks but counting price into equation, v1 gives the best bang for bucks.

PS: There are v1 with good side engraving too.

QinetiQ

Banned
6/8/09
I ordered a v1 for the purpose of another comparison. Nonetheless, thanks for posting this Alvin.

I have given my overview the last time but I feel that both have its own drawbacks but counting price into equation, v1 gives the best bang for bucks.

PS: There are v1 with good side engraving too.

Well as you've told me before, the good engraving on the v1 is shoot and miss so why take the chance!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I'e checked out a number of gens at the AD... This is a tough one. Both versions have pros and cons, as others have already said. I am still convinced that the V2 has the better side engraving. I've compared one up close to the gen. But the V1 obviously has other benefits. In the end, the differences are so tiny that my suggestion is to just buy the cheaper one... which I guess is the V1.

QinetiQ

Banned
6/8/09
The cheaper one is that significantly cheaper. I think the difference is about $20 bucks which is not all that much and for such a distinctive feature as the side engraving I will really have difficulties living with it if it was all messed up and badly engraved but that's just me of course. I have a v2 coming from taka some day this month with relumed hands and dial and his AR so stay tuned.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
aarh! its really hard to decide wich one is better, one thing is certain though, after this, the dealers might be out of stock of both v1 and v2, very soon....... gets me back to thinking bout getting a top gun real hard, thanks guys....:)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Both versions have pros and cons

Exactly. It's always a pick your poison thing. Which set of flaws can you live with. I would lean towards the V2 myself. But no one could ever spot either one. So if I could only get the V1 it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

ShadowB

Known Member
16/1/10
V2 is a lot closer to gen than V1.

Change the crown of the V2 to a gen and voila.

solidbrik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/8/09
ARGHHH!!! can someone advice where i can get more $$$!!! i cant sustain this...and its frustrating...lol

too many wants...too little $$$

oh...n i wan my IWCs... :(

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
The v1 goes for low 200 bucks from a few dealers (shipped). I think this is worth considering. I agree with you, v2 looks better despite the crown thingy, I will try to fit v1's crown to v2 and see how it will go.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Shadow: A lot closer? Did we just view the same compro 'cause both look close enough to give IWC nightmares to me. Maybe I'm missing something, what do you consider the deal making points on the V2?

A truly stunning watch in any form. Now if only there was a Chinese doppel chrono MVT I'd be a very happy trailie.

Col.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, the v2 dial is not without flaw. I think the greyish rings on the subdial is still not as good as genuine dial.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I'd love to have either V1 or V2 ..... excellent reps and I will give both some serious considerations.