• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Careful. They get a taste for these things and they become like handbags - "You can never have too many".

On the subject of movements - Miyota do a good replacement for the ETA - I even think stem height measures up, etc.
She's grown to love watches, but this is more geared toward a Christmas/Birthday present and/or to keep her from wearing mine, lol.
I LOVE the fancy Explorer you have there...

Last edited:
Reactions: 316lad

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
She's grown to love watches, but this is more geared toward a Christmas/Birthday present and/or to keep her from wearing mine, lol.
I LOVE the fancy Explorer you have there...
I'm lucky - mine only loves Cartier - which is cheaper . . .relatively.

Reactions: Karbon74

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I'm lucky - mine only loves Cartier - which is cheaper . . .relatively.
Yeah, a used gen Cartier sells for what a lot of high end reps sell for.
I don't love Cartier watches, but I have a soft spot for anything vintage with some cool history, so see myself picking up a simple tank, probably in gen, sooner or later.

I actually like small watches for casual and dress wear. I like tool watches for when I'm actually using them as tools...diving, hiking, etc.

Ukrop

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/24
Canada
Careful. They get a taste for these things and they become like handbags - "You can never have too many".

On the subject of movements - Miyota do a good replacement for the ETA - I even think stem height measures up, etc.
Miyota is 2.5
ETA 2824 1.8mm

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Miyota is 2.5
ETA 2824 1.8mm
That's hand height?
I'm actually looking for the smaller movements, for a ladies watch...ETA 2671 or Seiko NH05 or whatever the Miyota equivalent is.

Stem height, hand height, diameter, overall height, etc.

Most of the numbers I could find for the 2671 and NH05/06 suggest it would work in a 26mm Rolex case, since the gen movement is an 1120, and larger or very close in all the dimensions I could find.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
interested also to know where you got the cases.

a ladies watch, now that's a challenge I want 😁
I picked them up on Ebay, they weren't terribly expensive, but most of the ones I see there are missing bezels or case backs. I waited until I found a little stash of bezels before I jumped on cases.

Cases...one needs a caseback, so not really counting it in the mix, just have it on hand for when a case back pops up, another is a Tudor, and 22mm, rather than 26mm, so that might get an Explorer/Ranger dial and a quartz movement (and a deleted seconds hand):

Dials...one of the cases is super small, like 22mm, so I either have to find a dial or make one.

Bracelets:

Bezels...I hit the mother load with a lot of them:

Hands will come from ALIX, and I'll probably replace the crystals on all of them with Clarks or similar:

So basically, I just need a movement, and hoping the NH works, because the ETA is a pain in the ass, probably worse scaled down 25% in size, and quite a bit more expensive. As it is, I'm looking at roughly 200-300 each for these builds, which is a damn sight cheaper than a rep would cost, and they'll be mostly gen...pretty much everything you can see from the outside, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 316lad and Karbon74

Ukrop

13/1/24
Canada
That's hand height?
I'm actually looking for the smaller movements, for a ladies watch...ETA 2671 or Seiko NH05 or whatever the Miyota equivalent is.

Most of the numbers I could find for the 2671 and NH05/06 suggest it would work in a 26mm Rolex case, since the gen movement is an 1120, and larger or very close in all the dimensions I could find.
Lignes Dimensions7.75 ‴
Dimensions17.5 mm
Height4.8 mm
Further MeasuresMounting Diameter (Dm): 17.2mm
Stem height (T): 1.75mm
Power Reserve39 hours
Frequency28,800 vph
Jewels17
Lift Angle53 degrees

Reactions: dpd3672

Hayst

Known Member
15/3/23
Australia
That's hand height?

My wife's Tudor has an eta 2671 in it, we purchased it last year from Watches of Switzerland in Melbourne. The damned thing was almost -15 seconds a day and the wait time for Rolex service centre to adjust it was something like six weeks.
I had the back of that thing so quick I could .smell the gasket burning.

Hayst

Known Member
15/3/23
Australia
I picked them up on Ebay, they weren't terribly expensive, but most of the ones I see there are missing bezels or case backs. I waited until I found a little stash of bezels before I jumped on cases.

Cases...one needs a caseback, so not really counting it in the mix, just have it on hand for when a case back pops up, another is a Tudor, and 22mm, rather than 26mm, so that might get an Explorer/Ranger dial and a quartz movement (and a deleted seconds hand):

Dials...one of the cases is super small, like 22mm, so I either have to find a dial or make one.

Bracelets:

Bezels...I hit the mother load with a lot of them:

Hands will come from ALIX, and I'll probably replace the crystals on all of them with Clarks or similar:

So basically, I just need a movement, and hoping the NH works, because the ETA is a pain in the ass, probably worse scaled down 25% in size, and quite a bit more expensive. As it is, I'm looking at roughly 200-300 each for these builds, which is a damn sight cheaper than a rep would cost, and they'll be mostly gen...pretty much everything you can see from the outside, at least.
Take a gander at an older Tudor case set on ebay, Rolex printed on them and already set up for era 2671.

Reactions: dpd3672

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
Does anyone know the diameter of the chapter ring on the gilt 1016 dials?

I know this is buried in this thread or in one of the dial printing threads (Bart Cordell's or the gilt dial thread), but is it 26 mm? That would be the diameter for 13 mm hands to just reach it. Or do they fall slightly short and it's 27 mm or something else?

I'm working on some dial art to try my hand at decal printing and want to get the size correct.

Ukrop

13/1/24
Canada

I know this is buried in this thread or in one of the dial printing threads (Bart Cordell's or the gilt dial thread), but is it 26 mm? That would be the diameter for 13 mm hands to just reach it. Or do they fall slightly short and it's 27 mm or something else?

I'm working on some dial art to try my hand at decal printing and want to get the size correct.

Take it with a grain of salt.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I think it makes logical sense that the chapter ring is 26mm, since the 13mm hands are intended to touch it. Some watches have overlapping or shorter hands, but this one generally has hands that extend to the chapter ring, and no further. Ukrop's measurements seem to confirm this (it says 25.5mm, but the measurement seems to be to the center of the ring, so add a bit to get to the outside diameter).
Just spitballing, but I doubt anyone would appreciate a .25mm difference in diameters, especially if it's under a domed crystal.

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18

Per his dial post, "Note that the 6538, 5512, 6542 and 1675 dials have been designed respecting the gen chapter ring 26mm diameter."

Reactions: GenuineFool

Ukrop

13/1/24
Canada
Hey guys, can somebody help me with a link to a decent 3130 movement. I see some on Alix, but not sure how good they are.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Hey guys, can somebody help me with a link to a decent 3130 movement. I see some on Alix, but not sure how good they are.
I got one of these for an OP 39 about 6 months ago, it’s working well so far, and the price was cheap.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $72.27 | Watchmaker Chinese 3130 no date automatic mechanical movement blue balance wheel Men watch movement VR3130

Reactions: Ukrop and Karbon74