• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release: BBR Perpetual Calendar

fletch512

Known Member
9/5/06
I ordered the green dial. For me it had the right combination of unique green color combo that seems close enough to the gen, as well as correct steel case material.

I added it to an order with puretime, which unfortunately has been slow with QC recently. That being said, I'll put up some QC pics and real life pics when I get them. With only 30 limited edition green dials out there in the wild, much less the $$$, I don't think 1:1 dial color really matters with this watch. Having saved about $250,000 on the watch, I can now buy that Bentley I've been eyeing.

monkeypie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
I ordered the green dial. For me it had the right combination of unique green color combo that seems close enough to the gen, as well as correct steel case material.

I added it to an order with puretime, which unfortunately has been slow with QC recently. That being said, I'll put up some QC pics and real life pics when I get them. With only 30 limited edition green dials out there in the wild, much less the $$$, I don't think 1:1 dial color really matters with this watch. Having saved about $250,000 on the watch, I can now buy that Bentley I've been eyeing.

I thought I was relatively well versed with watches, and knew the titanium China edition existed for this, but had to really delve into the varieties AP made for their perpetual calendar. It is actually one of the few watches I have never seen IRL, and I've seen some legit rare museum pieces including at the big auction houses. I mean Patek grand complications, the FP Journes, the Philippe Dufours, let alone the rare Rolexes

Of course AP's MO now is to keep pumping out limited edition Royal Oaks, which leads to this situation.

Reactions: JayBee0815

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
On point. This watch is not a common choice for the average Joe or even average gen AP wearer so unless one has the lifestyle to support it, the greatest tell is often the wearer and differences of details are really secondary. It’s just a fun watch for someone to wear on its own. Accuracy to the gen is really not relevant for most wearers for this watch.
So your response is something I agree with.
That's exactly what it looks like. This is definitely not a rep for people who want to fool others into thinking they're wearing a Gen. Who are they trying to fool? 99% don't know AP and of the one per cent who do know AP, 99% don't know this model. That leaves one per mille - and of that one per mille, at most one per mille has ever seen the Gen or even had it in their hands. Depending on the model, nobody will own the Gen anyway - the platinum models for Yoshida (grey) are limited to 20 units and the owners are all likely to live in Japan ;-)
But there is another risk for flexers: watch freaks (i.e. the one in a thousand) will naturally notice this rare model and ask questions. That's nice for self-confessed rep freaks (like me), who might strike up a conversation about it. For our flexer faction, this could end embarrassingly ;-)
Ultimately, it's like the Tiffany Nautilus. NOBODY who knows anything about it will think the Rep is genuine.
Details like the moon disc don't really matter, especially as there are the big tells - the wrong material and the dimensions; the rep is 2mm thicker, of course you can see that.
Anyway, the Gen would be my exit watch if it wasn't light years away and far too expensive. The Rep version is a nice consolation, in my opinion a very nice watch that replicates many of the Gen's functions and at least doesn't mess up on the rest. A must-have for Reps freaks, unsuitable for impostors and flexers.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Now I had the time to compare the BBR (ice blue) with my old APS CHS (black). To anticipate: The BBR is better in terms of movement and functionality. I'll leave the visual aspects and details to you to judge.
The external dimensions are almost identical. Both are exactly 11.4 mm thick.

Functions: The APS offers hour/minute/day/day of the week/moon phase. The month can be set via the pusher. The week runs as large hours (GMT), but cannot be set separately. The leap year can also be set, but is also adjusted when the month is set. Adjustment via the pusher is generally a little awkward.
The BBR offers hour/minute/day/day of the week/moon phase. The month and leap year can be set via the pushers. The week can be set via Pos 2 of the crown, but does not run with it, so it has to be adjusted every week.

Dial/hand/case: Both are well made. It is noticeable that the bezel on the BBR is thicker and therefore the dial as a whole is slightly smaller than on the APS. This makes the BBR look somewhat stockier. The details (moon disk, hands, Grand Tappiserie) are good on both, but not perfect.

Bracelet: It is noticeable that the phases on the BBR are smaller and more finely finished. From a purely subjective point of view, the strap on the BBR is slightly more finely polished, while the strap on the APS is somewhat sharper. On the other hand, the surface of the APS is more finely polished.

When I compare the two, I come to the conclusion that the BBR is the better watch simply because of its better functions. Subjectively, however, the APS looks slightly better (probably because of the narrower bezel)

But that doesn't matter for the purchase decision, as the CHS APS was only produced in a very small batch anyway and is no longer available

P.s.: This model (Yoshida Platinum, 2nd batch) with the silver subidals is not repped by BBR. The grey/black BBR model is the first Yoshida batch with the black subdials.

p.p.s.: Sorry for the rather bad pictures. I lent my tripod and my big photo light to my son. And shooting macros from the hand with only a small lightbox is not a rewarding job ;-)

Last edited:

monkeypie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
Dial/hand/case: Both are well made. It is noticeable that the bezel on the BBR is thicker and therefore the dial as a whole is slightly smaller than on the APS. This makes the BBR look somewhat stockier. The details (moon disk, hands, Grand Tappiserie) are good on both, but not perfect.

I always felt the BBR bezel was thicker, but at least based on photo measurements, seems to be accurate. The dial is smaller and the rehaut with the week number is deeper than gen though, which may give that look?

Are you able to measure the width of the bezel?

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I always felt the BBR bezel was thicker, but at least based on photo measurements, seems to be accurate. The dial is smaller and the rehaut with the week number is deeper than gen though, which may give that look?

Are you able to measure the width of the bezel?
Bezel (from the inner side to the beginning of the phase)
BBR 3,9mm
APS 3,4mm

Xtal
BBR 31,1mm
APS 31,9mm

Last edited:
Reactions: SHB and monkeypie

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
You know, I think something I've pondered (and this is not to knock on the rep, it's a problem with the gen) is that the week hand indicator is probably one of the most poorly designed things ever. I think it obstructs visibility horribly, and for months at a time you will have certain parts of the dial obstructed and difficult to read. I mean, not a big deal, but if you paid $300k for a watch, I guess you would like it to be more thoughtful than this?

@johnlogan
Thanks ! Ordered

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
APSF looks visually better, esp with the thinner bezel. BBRs chapter ring looks off center and also the "pizza hands" curse strikes here yet again, which the APSF doesn't have.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
HGRwiP.jpeg

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Sorry that happened to you. Thanks for informing us so we know.

It sucks but it's a rep. Even on my 5712 I don't hammer the pushers very fast. My watch maker said these things aren't even designed on gen to be pushed rapidly. We are talking reps, not gen.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Sorry that happened to you. Thanks for informing us so we know.

It sucks but it's a rep. Even on my 5712 I don't hammer the pushers very fast. My watch maker said these things aren't even designed on gen to be pushed rapidly. We are talking reps, not gen.
when he said "too fast" he means he was clicking the buttons a few times in a second or so?
Instead of click once pause, next click pause ?

I still wonder though if it's just a production error that the hand pinions aren't tightened correctly.

VenomGT3

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/4/22
USA
It didn’t happen to me btw. I sold it to a friend since I purchased the gold one. He received it and was flicking through the dates quickly when the hand flew off. I guess it just wasn’t tightened well enough on the pinion.