• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Case 1:1 16710/16570 available on EBay

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Hi @Johnny Depp and all,

a really interesting case and threat! �

My questions are

Is somebody in the market who can make gen spec engravings (special in Europe) ???

What is the best aftermarket bezel assembly which one can use for this case??? (case fit and/or use a gen insert without sanding)
(I have had very bad experiences with the WSO bezel assembly on another project)

Many Thanks for your support! ��
Hi mate
unfortunately I don't know, you could ask him directly. mine is not a sponsor, but it is a sharing with everyone to realize a project that was a dream at the time. as regards the assembly, what did you find negative in WSO? I bought some I was happy. as assembly you can use those of MQ or those of startime. those of startime I have not had the opportunity to see them, but they talked about it well.

Last edited:

Micha Nbg

Renowned Member
Certified
30/12/14
Hi mate
unfortunately I don't know, you could ask him directly. mine is not a sponsor, but it is a sharing with everyone to realize a project that was a dream at the time. as regards the assembly, what did you find negative in WSO? I bought some I was happy. as assembly you can use those of MQ or those of startime. those of startime I have not had the opportunity to see them, but they talked about it well.
Thanks mate for your answer! 👍

Regarding the WSO bezel assembly...
None of the parts fit really well on the midcase. In addition, the gen inserts didn't fit with any of the bezel rings (I had ordered two to choose from)! no idea... just bad luck or the quality was bad...

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Thanks mate for your answer! 👍

Regarding the WSO bezel assembly...
None of the parts fit really well on the midcase. In addition, the gen inserts didn't fit with any of the bezel rings (I had ordered two to choose from)! no idea... just bad luck or the quality was bad...
Ah ok.
I saw that it has 2/3 qualities ... I don't know honestly. I made one with WSO assembly. for the inserts yes, they must be shaved

Reactions: Micha Nbg

Micha Nbg

Renowned Member
Certified
30/12/14
Ah ok.
I saw that it has 2/3 qualities ... I don't know honestly. I made one with WSO assembly. for the inserts yes, they must be shaved
What do you think about JF or BP bezel assemblies from the 16610 models? Do you have any experience?

nom_deplume

Known Member
8/1/22
Earth
Lovin this thread .. not luvin the cryptic links to anything .. like actual current pricce, ebay .. etc.. Ps luv ya wrk

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
To me the rehaut on this Ebay case looks to be too deep. The Vietnam 16710 case rehaut however is shallower. Based on JD’s pics, I actually prefer the rehaut height on this Ebay case.

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Cant you just shave down the rehaut height in the ebay case ? Can’t imagine it will alter any mechanism on a retainer ring.

Reactions: 5ive-Digits-0nly

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I also bought such a case to get a Ex II WD build for some sunny days.

What I noticed, but that is already known in this community, is that the lug holes are not perfectly drilled and the crown guards are way to small so it will be an easy tell that this is not a Gen.
As feedback from TomRep I received that the finish of the horns is also not perfect and the bevels are too thin. Because of the too small crown guards, I have decided for the moment not to have the case reworked according to Gen Specs and will swap it for a better case when the time comes.

Here are the specs:
  • eBay 1:1 case set
  • Gen Tube and Gen Crown
    Gen no AR no LEC crystal
  • Gen WD and Gen hand set
  • Gen Bezel, reworked by TomRep
    VR 3185/3186 movement (serviced by Ben Welte)
  • ALI cheapy white rubber band with cheap rep clasp
  • Assembled by Ben Welte, water resistant tested to 10 ATM
Overall it is a nice watch for summer days and this one is currently not for sale.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Cant you just shave down the rehaut height in the ebay case ? Can’t imagine it will alter any mechanism on a retainer ring.
You can just shave the rehaut down a little without affecting any moving parts. It will just increase the gap between the underside of the crystal and the rehaut ledge.

Some pics compared to gen.

zCokmn.jpg

zEzOnb.jpg

Reactions: brane

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Good to know thanks, not a bad work around as I imagined originally. Hopefully he fixes these in the next batch (if there will be) cheers.

Reactions: KJ2020

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Ok just pulled the trigger to build a budget 16570 Franken

EBay case
Gen bezel
Gen dial
Clarks or Gen crystal (undecided)
Gen crown 24-604-0 (will this fit the eBay case?)
Hands - undecided - what’s the best rep option?
Vr3186 clone movement

Cheers for any advice on the final parts.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
The best option for hands is go gen.
What dial color do you have? And is the dial a tritium, a Luminova or a SuperLuminova one?
I might have an authentic watch glass with small weaknesses for you. In my opinion, it is completely o.k. to use such a No AR No LEC watch crystal for a watch that is at least 15 years old and has small damages.
Just drop me a PM and if you agree we could do a reserved sale.