• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Seamaster has landed

kev0172

Horology Curious
26/10/23
After waiting for my pick (blue dial) for quite some time I enquired with my TD about an alternate watch. Which was pretty much immediately available, so now have one of those shipping soon (photo attached). Think I'll re-visit a seamaster 300M in the future maybe when they are more available or a newer version rep

Love this. What model is it? What factory?

Macbook

Horology Curious
6/10/23
There's no bezel and overall the AT have less things to copy. I'd say closer to gen.
and what about the crown stripping problem? from reading around it seems like it happens less frequent in the VSF AT's?

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
and what about the crown stripping problem? from reading around it seems like it happens less frequent in the VSF AT's?
I haven't heard about the crown stripping issue for anything besides the VSF SMP300. I suppose the VSF AT could have that issue, but I have not seen information about it.

tom86

Divers only
Supporter
Certified
28/7/19
EU, UAE
I haven't heard about the crown stripping issue for anything besides the VSF SMP300. I suppose the VSF AT could have that issue, but I have not seen information about it.
VSF PO's have it as well. Had it on mine and it have occurred quite early after purchasing. Probably the complete VSF Seamaster range has this issue.

Reactions: Caboose

cookielover9316

Looking Around
12/9/23
Was looking for a white dial but no TD could source from ZF, so I ordered from ORF instead. The only concern I have is the off-white lume. I'm not the best at judging. Maybe someone else can see something I can't. Thank you for checking this watch out for me!

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
After I swapped a gen SW200 into my green ZF last year (or maybe it was the year before 🤔), I was still never too happy with the lume opacity difference between the hands and the indices. On some ZF, the hands lume looks just a little bit translucent so it doesn’t quite match the dial.

After a bit of research I figured I could use a white paint pen to add a layer to the underside to help fill out the lume, and a couple years later, I finally got around to it.

Practiced on some cheap aliexpress hands first to prove my theory, and then dove right in:

Success! Now the hands match the dial perfectly. The last step would be source a gen bracelet or a better ORF one… this “ORF” that I got left a lot to be desired, as the polished links were too tall, and the centre link is super tall. I might just live with straps or a Forstner for the time being.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
After I swapped a gen SW200 into my green ZF last year (or maybe it was the year before 🤔), I was still never too happy with the lume opacity difference between the hands and the indices. On some ZF, the hands lume looks just a little bit translucent so it doesn’t quite match the dial.

After a bit of research I figured I could use a white paint pen to add a layer to the underside to help fill out the lume, and a couple years later, I finally got around to it.

Practiced on some cheap aliexpress hands first to prove my theory, and then dove right in:

Success! Now the hands match the dial perfectly. The last step would be source a gen bracelet or a better ORF one… this “ORF” that I got left a lot to be desired, as the polished links were too tall, and the centre link is super tall. I might just live with straps or a Forstner for the time being.
Looks the business. Great work!

Reactions: keisuke_z

Valaj

Known Member
15/3/23
Illinois

That looks nice. It's weird how the ZF line looks yellow too in some photos but is white in person. I have the same watch and I've noticed the same in some pics.

And yes. That bracelet SEL doesn't look like it's ORF. The polished part is curved instead of flat.

And I've sent my watch for the same movement swap too! Getting an SW200 in since the current movement is giving me trouble. Absolutely love my ZF and with the movement swap, it'll be the perfect rep.

Reactions: keisuke_z

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
That looks nice. It's weird how the ZF line looks yellow too in some photos but is white in person. I have the same watch and I've noticed the same in some pics.

And yes. That bracelet SEL doesn't look like it's ORF. The polished part is curved instead of flat.

And I've sent my watch for the same movement swap too! Getting an SW200 in since the current movement is giving me trouble. Absolutely love my ZF and with the movement swap, it'll be the perfect rep.
The yellow is just the lume activated slightly, gen looks just like that too. For ZF at least. VSF has fucked up yellow color always.

Reactions: Valaj

Valaj

Known Member
15/3/23
Illinois
The yellow is just the lume activated slightly, gen looks just like that too. For ZF at least. VSF has fucked up yellow color always.
Ahhh. That makes a lot of sense. Because, in person, it looks very white. And yes. I've noticed gens at the AD look that way too. Only difference I saw was the the markers and lume on the gen appeared very glossy. Like there was some extra gloss clear coat on it.

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
After I swapped a gen SW200 into my green ZF last year…

Oops just to correct myself here - it was a Gen ETA 2824-2 swap, not the SW200. Mixed it up with a 1016 build I just finished… and the SW300 swap I did on an IWC rep (also ZF lol) 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Valaj

Enthusiast101

Known Member
19/6/23
UK
ZF Seamaster 300 AR is like butter. I had a few and all scratch very easy. You’ll see it at least under direct lighting.

If you’re picky with scratches on your AR on your xtal don’t go ZF.

That is one of the disadvantages of ZF why I still prefer VSF Seamaster. Overall better quality.
The AR on my seamaster has lots of tiny scratches!

Been reading, this seems to be an issue with the genuine models too (not all but some) If it gets really bad, I'll be looking at polishing it out with a cape cod cloth.