• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF RM55, new super clone movement

BIONONE

Respected Member
28/4/17
seems to me that machining the mold for ribs, coating, then a basic sanding would be a lot easier than making paint stamping tools. but what do i know.
You‘re completely right. But if a whole batch is machined without the necessary excess material it is easier and cheaper to pad print over the flaws rather than machining 500 new sets

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
You‘re completely right. But if a whole batch is machined without the necessary excess material it is easier and cheaper to pad print over the flaws rather than machining 500 new sets
Yeah this is what gets me too. Painting/printing is another step in the chain and costs more than brushing should, so to use it here to me suggests that there was something wrong or the brushing itself came out badly and they just covered it over. Maybe it was even a batch issue and was fixed after ZF bought their first batch of movements for the carbon watches.

Dollar_short

i know things
8/4/24
outside shitcago

i don't see those pieces 100% machined, i see them injection molded then finish machined, if even that. but what do i know other than i do know just enough to be dangerous. i am only some bonehead with a small hobby machine/fabrication shop in my garage.
production and DIY are 2 very different things.

Dollar_short

i know things
8/4/24
outside shitcago
Yeah this is what gets me too. Painting/printing is another step in the chain and costs more than brushing should, so to use it here to me suggests that there was something wrong or the brushing itself came out badly and they just covered it over. Maybe it was even a batch issue and was fixed after ZF bought their first batch of movements for the carbon watches.

if i am right, and i bet i am, about the injection molding, those craps parts would be easy to replace. of course idk just what it takes to make pad printing tools. it may be so easy to make the tools that it would be worth saving them. again, idk.

as far as doing the brush finish, that is tons easy. i am sure they have a special sander for it. me, i just drag the part over sandpaper flat on my bench. easy peasy. i was doing it on the prototype hands i am working on.

we look at these parts as very hard to make because they are so small. but what i know is they make parts for phones/etc that are smaller than a gnat's balls.

afdxb22

Getting To Know The Place
16/6/19
I'm supposed to get my Yas Marina tomorrow, I'll take a look with a loupe at the ribs but from the previous photos I've seen it definitely looks like there's some metal underneath the paint or terrible finishing or whatever.
Are you going to sand yours down ?

FlamingMontains

Known Member
Patron
16/10/23
Going to order one from AMF. Can’t believe the factories are getting so close. This watch goes for $500,000 in the secondary market.

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
Going to order one from AMF. Can’t believe the factories are getting so close. This watch goes for $500,000 in the secondary market.
I was told by a Chinese dealer that RM is having a huge moment in China so that's why the demand is driving replicas to become better and better. Let's hope the Chinese keep being obsessed with RM. I want a RM011 before I die.

Reaps

25/9/22
same, and probably never will. i have only seen 1 gen, it was a Breitling, i was impressed.

but, have you ever had a 11 rep of any variation?
I havent. I did alot of research on KVF RM011 but I am a small wrist guy, the 18mm case would be horrible for me. I also couldn't deal w the 7750. The only ones I consider are some homage variants like the CRONUSART or a cheap quartz one which I'm not fond of.

Reactions: Dollar_short

FlamingMontains

Known Member
Patron
16/10/23
same, and probably never will. i have only seen 1 gen, it was a Breitling, i was impressed.

but, have you ever had a 11 rep of any variation?

Wear a good Rolex rep, dress well, and go into different ADs and try stuff on. I go into every brand you can think of and try on every watch. The grey dealers will let you try stuff on too. I’ve tried many RM, A. Lange, F.P Journe, H. Moser, Patek, JLC, VC, AP, and countless others.

FlamingMontains

Known Member
Patron
16/10/23
I was told by a Chinese dealer that RM is having a huge moment in China so that's why the demand is driving replicas to become better and better. Let's hope the Chinese keep being obsessed with RM. I want a RM011 before I die.

A few times I was so close to pulling the trigger on a gen RM. Very glad I did not!

Reactions: 5711 and Reaps

Dollar_short

i know things
8/4/24
outside shitcago
Wear a good Rolex rep, dress well, and go into different ADs and try stuff on. I go into every brand you can think of and try on every watch. The grey dealers will let you try stuff on too. I’ve tried many RM, A. Lange, F.P Journe, H. Moser, Patek, JLC, VC, AP, and countless others.

i would have to go to downtown shitcago. i avoid that place like the plague

Dollar_short

i know things
8/4/24
outside shitcago
I havent. I did alot of research on KVF RM011 but I am a small wrist guy, the 18mm case would be horrible for me. I also couldn't deal w the 7750. The only ones I consider are some homage variants like the CRONUSART or a cheap quartz one which I'm not fond of.

then you don't really want one, they are a chunk. i am 8" so i handle it well.

seanizcool

Known Member
3/9/21
Yeah, definitely the last few years. I know a few folks that go back and forth from Canada and China, and their RM collections are insane. One of the guys I swear has a new one everytime I see him

Black 55 with the diamond bezel
65-01 NTPT
35-03 blue NTPT
30 NTPT
A few different 11-03, the McLaren one, and the Jean Todt

I didn't realize how big of a different the brushed ribs made until I'd seen his 55

Dollar_short

i know things
8/4/24
outside shitcago
Lol downtown chicago in the loop is one of the safest places in the city. Just don't go any further south (uchicago/wrigley) and you'll be fine.

that isn't saying much. i watch WGN news every day and even they don't report most stuff. ride the trains, you could get killed.
btw, wrigly is North

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
that isn't saying much. i watch WGN news every day and even they don't report most stuff. ride the trains, you could get killed.
btw, wrigly is North
I lived further north so to me Wrigley is always south lol

Yeah the L is the sketchiest part and I've had to slip my watch in my pockets a few times but Chicago is quite harmless outside of certain pockets that locals know to avoid. It's fairly obvious too. If you walk into a road where there are no parked cars on the street then turn around immediately lol